Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:19 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires

So had a tire blowout the other day, and it was pretty well shredded.
Luckily the tires needed to be replaced anyway, and I have AAA for 'free' towing.

I realize however that my 997.2 with 19' wheels is a low profile setup, (Yes I am slow...) but curious if low profile tires=higher risk of puncture and/or flat.

Is that really still the case however? I would assume on the center area-its the same area hitting the road so the risk is the same, but maybe the sidewalls have less strength?

Has anyone come up with an alternative spare to carry with? I see the spare option from SunCoast that basically throws a tire into the back seat, but curious if there are other options available?

Thanks all
m.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:21 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire type and size does matter. Larger side wall offers softer ride, smaller side wall harsher ride in comparison. Smaller side wall will allow for more risk of puncture. Just the nature of the tire and its size. Your risk is enhanced more based on how you drive and what you drove over. Can't avoid all hazards but it's a risk none the less.

Don't see any reason to haul around a spare in a 911. You got free towing just use it.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by msingh5649
So had a tire blowout the other day, and it was pretty well shredded.
Luckily the tires needed to be replaced anyway, and I have AAA for 'free' towing.

I realize however that my 997.2 with 19' wheels is a low profile setup, (Yes I am slow...) but curious if low profile tires=higher risk of puncture and/or flat.

Is that really still the case however? I would assume on the center area-its the same area hitting the road so the risk is the same, but maybe the sidewalls have less strength?

Has anyone come up with an alternative spare to carry with? I see the spare option from SunCoast that basically throws a tire into the back seat, but curious if there are other options available?

Thanks all
m.
Which brand/type is that?

What tire pressures (cold) are you running)?

What caused the tire blowout?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For longer trips, where you might be remote, maybe keep a bag of tire repair essentials to toss in the frunk as needed: compressor, lug/torque wrench, tire repair kit, jack.

I toss mine in on longer journeys. I've fixed a couple of tires roadside. Just get the best tire plugging kit you can.

AAA + repair kit = pretty comprehensive planning.

I've ruled out the spare. If the flat is on the rear, you have to move the front to the rear and put the spare on the front and drive a short distance at most.

Modern tires get far fewer flats, thanks to tougher compounds that keep them simultaneously strong and pliable. I think it's silica we're supposed to thank.

Low-profile tires might be more prone to sidewall cuts, but it's all anecdotal.

BTW: A flat tire is normal. A blowout is going to prompt people to inquire more, so don't say blowout unless it was sudden.. kabloom. A shredded tire/flat could be because you drove on a flat tire and destroyed it... even if you swear you didn't.

Quick Reply: Tires