Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I should get some grief for this

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016 | 08:01 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Default I should get some grief for this

I haven't cleaned my car in four weeks. It's a DD. But I haven't cleaned it, until the other night.

My front MPSS tires reached 34K miles. They were down to 3 or 4/32. It was time to replace them, but I didn't want my tire shop to have to clean the wheels. So I did the deed as best I could.

I say the best I could because my left hand lost an argument with my table saw on July 4th, and it has not been cooperating with my desires since.

So I didn't yank the wheels. I simply cleaned the barrels through the spokes. The driver's side had grease on it. And my tire shop confirmed I had a ripped CV boot.

Oh, and a box worth of chip seal rocks from a ten mile incident in Idaho in June, but that's another story.

The timing implies the rip is recent, but that does not preclude contamination.

Anyway ... against my better half's wishes, I figured I'd start ripping things apart this weekend. I need to be ready for Werks.

And now ... you thought the grief was about not cleaning my car ... my "Pull me up by my boot strap" days force me to ask the question ... has anyone in my situation cleaned the CV joint, packed it, and installed a new boot, or is replacing the entire axle assembly the only way to go?

Now, hand me as much grief as you think I need for even asking that question (rather than doing an R&R of the entire assembly), or advice if you prefer.

Thanks in advance for your insights. Wayne

PS: On a different topic, we will be in Stuttgart soon. We have factory tour reservations as well as Museum plans. Any insights before we go?
Old 08-05-2016 | 09:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I thing you deserve congratulations for driving the darn thing! You da man!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-06-2016 | 02:53 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Grief? Hell you get a gold star for driving her as intended. The ripped CV boot only requires a removal, cleaning, inspection, repacking and a new boot. Touch up the chips and drive on.....
Old 08-06-2016 | 11:43 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

If/when you need a hand, literally and figuratively, LMK.
Old 08-06-2016 | 03:01 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

I have repaired a few that had torn boots. Remove, clean, new boot. They've all lasted the life of the car. I think catching it early is the key to success. I believe repacking with a new OE boot is better than a $100 Chinese made full axle.

Last edited by JAGMAN1; 08-07-2016 at 02:14 AM.

Quick Reply: I should get some grief for this