Speakers for 2009 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016 | 05:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A few items:

1 - 2009 and newer have new PCM3 system and is different than prior systems
2 - I have the Bose premium in my 2009 and replaced all speakers with Focal.. I have some posts on the thread that addresses this Link to Focal Stuff; I don't think just changing out the speakers is worth the money and big effort. Finding speakers that just fit ... well I don't think they exist so you have to do a ton of work. Also, the gains in sound quality were not that great IMO.
3 - PCM3 with Premium sound has a proprietary link to the Bose amp located under the passenger seat. As I understand there is no converter make the link if you want to swap out either head unit or amp. gotta do both unless see next item. Many folks thing speakers are the biggest issue for getting better sound.... I dissagree and find the amps the biggest issue and digital to analog converters and head unit analog sections the second.... change the electronics before you change the speakers.
4 - PCM3 head unit is the same head unit for both premium and base systems.... except the premium uses optics and the analog pins are dead. If you want analog out and you have the premium system, the dealer can reconfigure the PCM3 head unit to base, and will activate the analog outs so you can now install a different amp - I can't prove this but what I read some folks have done who want to keep the head unit but install a new amp. If you have the base system, your analog pins are live and can then run them to a new amp.... again, this is what I read from folks who did this, not hearsay. I am also finding that installers don't understand this PCM3 system..... they usually just rip everything out and put in all new stuff; things get really wierd when you want to keep the head unit.
5 - Swapping out some of the components will generate a computer error unless you have a Durametric (or trip to dealer) to configure you car for no system.... you will not get an error on your dash.
6 - Focal speakers are less efficient than the stock speakers so if you like your music loud, you really should upgrade your amp

There is more information.... I will be starting a new thread on this data later when I get the new stereo issues resolved in my car.... it has been a few weeks and the installer can't get the alternator whine out.... really upsetting. I spent the day with them troubleshooting... believe you me, we tried everything.... we are stumped and at this point, assuming it is a very noisy alternator.... I may have to go back to stock and ditch the build.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-12-2016 | 02:06 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I can't prove this but what I read some folks have done who want to keep the head unit but install a new amp. If you have the base system, your analog pins are live and can then run them to a new amp.... again, this is what I read from folks who did this, not hearsay.
I hope this is truly works!
Old 08-12-2016 | 02:19 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
I hope this is truly works!
Good luck..... I should have said "not completely hearsay"......
Old 08-12-2016 | 02:35 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Haha I don't want to the be the first guinea pig of this forum with a base sound system and PCM 3.0 to do a "classic system" upgrade.

Quick Reply: Speakers for 2009 Carrera S