Sponsored by:

Thinking of moving to 997.2....GTS vs C2S

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of moving to 997.2....GTS vs C2S

I've had my 2005 C2 for 4 years now and it's been a great car, no issues at all. I'm getting a wondering eye lately and found a 2009 C2S manual optioned really nicely. Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats, PASM Sport, Sport Chrono, plus the usual Bose, Navi, Bluetooth, etc.....really the only thing missing is PSE but I can address that in the aftermarket. MSRP was $103,745.

My hesitation is that I haven't driven a GTS yet. They seem to be difficult to find in a color I want with a 6 speed. This 2009 is optioned perfectly (less PSE) and since it's 2 years older than the oldest GTS it's at least $15k-$20k less expensive.

Would like to hear if any owners here went from a 997.2 C2S to GTS and consider the jump worth $15k plus......?

BTW....Full leather and Adaptive Seats really take a Carrera to another level!

Thanks
Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't answer, never driven the GTS, but I'd definitely recommend some seat time in GTS as close to your desired spec as you can find. Your gut, pulse rate, butt dyno, etc. will tell you if it's worth the extra dough and hunting time...T
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned both 997.2 C2S and GTS, and even had them both for quite a while. FWIW, all-in, and factoring taxes, etc., I spent over double that to upgrade. To me, it was worth it. Some quick thoughts:

If you like the NB look, and in your mind's eye your 911 should be light and lean, like a late Sixties 911S or the '73 2.7 RS, then go for the C2S. 997.2 C2S looks just about perfect. Plenty curvy enough. Car dances and feels more alive than GTS.

If you love the WB hips, and want a slightly more planted feel, go for the GTS. There were only about 2,000 RWD GTS coupes made, so it's got that going for it. Will definitely hold its value better over the long run.

They really do feel different enough to consider them unique models. Very similar overall, of course, but different in key ways. And the GTS interior is incredible. Feels much more exotic, IMO. (EDIT: I sometimes forget that I did add a lot to the interior, to bring it to what it is like now.) Also, FWIW, I do sometimes miss the simplicity and clean lines of the NB cars.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by Ten Years; 07-28-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM
braymond52
Instructor

I'm interested in reading whatever responses you get. I have the same car and have entertained the same 'fantasy' for some time. I've somewhat come to the opinion that I'd probably be very happy with the 997.2 C2S. I know that the GTS has a lot going for it, but I don't track my car and it's a rare occasion that I can open the car up anyway...
Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Redline911
Racer

Originally Posted by braymond52
I'm interested in reading whatever responses you get. I have the same car and have entertained the same 'fantasy' for some time. I've somewhat come to the opinion that I'd probably be very happy with the 997.2 C2S. I know that the GTS has a lot going for it, but I don't track my car and it's a rare occasion that I can open the car up anyway...
The jump from the 997.1 C2 to the 997.2 C2S is pretty big! The DFI engine loves to rev and the torque advantage is noticeable too. Easy to justify a 60hp/35 ft. lb bump up in power. Harder to justify $20k more for another 23 hp! Don't get me wrong GTS owners, they are sweet....big difference between 2009 and 2011-2 model years in pricing though.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
And the GTS interior is incredible. Feels much more exotic, IMO.
How is the GTS interior different?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:52 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The Alcantara? I'm personally not a fan of it.

I have had this fantasy as well, however my ideal car would be a GTS with Alcantara delete, NB, 6 speed and no center locks. I know... A C2S with X51 and a GTS badge....I'll keep dreaming...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:41 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Well, to be fair, I did spend quite a bit of time and money on the interior. It did already come very well appointed from the factory, with many options, including: Adaptive Sport Seats with embossed crests and Alcantara inserts; OEM Painted Carrara White seat backs; OEM Carrara White Dials, including Chrono Pod; Factory Embossed Crest in center console lid, etc. In addition to those options, almost all other surfaces are now either leather, genuine Alcantara, or carbon fiber.

Some older shots. It's slightly different now.

Custom Lloyd Ultimats. Remind me of the Sport Classic mats.

Old style OEM 997 Porsche umbrella. Found a NOS example. Quite pricey now, if you can find one, but worth the extra $$, IMO:

I've since bought a brand new OEM Alcantara wheel for the car, and no longer have the Mexico Blue stripe. I've also added several more carbon fiber and leather pieces, including the steering column covers, the cubby hole, etc. ;-) Pretty much as "done" as I want it, now.

Last edited by Ten Years; 07-28-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:04 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Well, to be fair, I spent an additional several thousand dollars on the interior, which did already come very well appointed from the factory, with many options, including: Adaptive Sport Seats with embossed crests and Alcantara inserts; OEM Painted Carrara White seat backs; OEM Carrara White Dials, including Chrono Pod; Factory Embossed Crest in center console lid, etc. In addition to those options, almost all other surfaces are now either leather, genuine Alcantara, or carbon fiber.

Some older shots, from when it was 85% "finished":

Love the crests! Added to these, a third crest, on the center console lid.

Custom Lloyd Ultimats. I really like the white binding; reminds me of the Sport Classic mats. They really help to brighten up the whole car, just the right amount, IMO:

LOVE the new Alcantara lower dash and misc. pieces. I actually did the steering column housing and dash end plates (as well as some other small trim pieces) myself:

All the CF pieces really help to elevate the feel, overall:

Bright CW dials:

Love the new dash cam:

Old style OEM 997 Porsche umbrella. Found a NOS example. Quite pricey now, if you can find one, but worth the extra $$, IMO:

Did the little cubby in Alcantara, too. I like the fuzzy, next to the other textures, here:

I've since bought a new OEM Alcantara wheel for the car, and no longer have the Mexico Blue stripe. I've also added several more carbon fiber and leather pieces, including the steering column covers, the cubby hole, etc. ;-) Pretty much as "done" as I want it, now.

nicely done

once I am done with mine a GTS is what I want

but it has to be a stick
Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Muy sexy, Ten Years. Great looking upgrades…T
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Tyztoy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, to be fair, I did spend quite a bit of time and money on the interior. It did already come very well appointed from the factory, with many options, including: Adaptive Sport Seats with embossed crests and Alcantara inserts; OEM Painted Carrara White seat backs; OEM Carrara White Dials, including Chrono Pod; Factory Embossed Crest in center console lid, etc. In addition to those options, almost all other surfaces are now either leather, genuine Alcantara, or carbon fiber.

Some older shots. It's slightly different now.

I've since bought a brand new OEM Alcantara wheel for the car, and no longer have the Mexico Blue stripe. I've also added several more carbon fiber and leather pieces, including the steering column covers, the cubby hole, etc. ;-) Pretty much as "done" as I want it, now.
Very Tastefully done....
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
The Alcantara? I'm personally not a fan of it.

I have had this fantasy as well, however my ideal car would be a GTS with Alcantara delete, NB, 6 speed and no center locks. I know... A C2S with X51 and a GTS badge....I'll keep dreaming...
Same here on the Alcantara. Which is why my GTS is all leather on the interior. Took a while to find one like that, but patience paid off.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Porsche is funny...

Thoughts on GTS vs 2S
What are you getting with GTS?
X51 package, aero kit front end without lip, and GTS side skirts..spyder center lock rims
wide body with improved cooling (4s is also wide body with improved cooling)

What you are not getting standard
The GO FAST parts
LSD, SPASM, Sport Chrono Plus

so the trick is to find one optioned like ten years...

Otherwise a 2s /4s with the LSD, SPASM, Sport chrono plus will be the better track car.

Oh and it is hard to find a GTS with those options... I'm looking! especially SPASM

I can't believe the GTS did not come with LSD or SPASM as standard...blows my mind that a car with more HP and supposedly more track focus doesn't come standard with one.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:31 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

The GTS, no question. I traded in my 2009 higher mileage launch edition vert for a 2012 low mileage GTS vert still under warranty, cost about $37k to do it and well worth it. I love the alcantara interior and wide body looks. The values seem to be holding up a bit better than the S models. There were less than 1800 2012 GTS verts built.

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to 997.2....GTS vs C2S