Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little tailpipe anxiety - 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:37 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lefy my exhaust tips off when I changed from fabspeed pipes back to factory. one less item to ponder over, and less weight on the rear!
I like to give the car an Italian tune up now and again. some cars see too much stop/go and short trips which aren't beneficial to engine health.
my motto is: drive more and worry less.
I watch my gauges and keep fluids clean/topped off, otherwise I try
to enjoy what I have vs. what might happen.

one mechanic once said: "drive it until it breaks" taken with a grain of salt, this is one tac which makes some sense.

HAPPY MOTORING
Old 07-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
Exactly! Thanks for reclarifying
But what are you going to do if you notice one side more sooty than another? Demand a new engine? Demand a rebuild? If there is no warranty I'd require way more evidence that something was amiss before I'd put a wrench or pay someone to put a wrench to the car.

My advice is to ignore the tail pipe sootiness. You will of course monitor oil consumption as that's part of owning a car.

Then drive the car and give it reasonable servicing. Nothing you can really do if the engine is destined to score one or more cylinders unless you are willing to fund some kind of preventative/corrective rebuild of the engine.

BTW, the more time you spend driving the car the less time you have to spend on line and the less time you spend online the likely you'll have your already elevated paranoia levels increased.

It is a pretty July day. Get off line and go drive that car.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:33 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

But what are you going to do if you notice one side more sooty than another? Demand a new engine? Demand a rebuild? If there is no warranty I'd require way more evidence that something was amiss before I'd put a wrench or pay someone to put a wrench to the car.

My advice is to ignore the tail pipe sootiness. You will of course monitor oil consumption as that's part of owning a car.

Then drive the car and give it reasonable servicing. Nothing you can really do if the engine is destined to score one or more cylinders unless you are willing to fund some kind of preventative/corrective rebuild of the engine.

BTW, the more time you spend driving the car the less time you have to spend on line and the less time you spend online the likely you'll have your already elevated paranoia levels increased.

It is a pretty July day. Get off line and go drive that car.
Thanks for the advice. I drove it in to the office today to get caught up on some work... and in LA, it's 90 and smokey from the nearby fires.

I think my concerns are reasonable, and thankfully some addressed the point of my post enough to get me to chill about it some. I'm not an irrational reactor that would demand my engine gets replaced because I have sootier left tail pipes. If nothing else, I thought the phenomenon was interesting in a generation of the car that supposedly has had the bore scoring issue resolved.

All I was looking for was some "yeah, mine's like that too" or "sh$t! you better keep an eye on that because that's not supposed to happen!!" I got neither, but thanks anyway for the valuable "life is short, drive a Porsche" life lessons
Old 07-24-2016, 04:52 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
For clarification... the left tailpipes service the right bank's exhaust gases . The right bank is where scoring is more likely to occur. Some owners have found scoring by monitoring oil use and differences between the left and right set of tailpipes.

I think everyone is aware they get sooty... and that's not the OPs concern .

Nonetheless... paranoia is a bitch. Lol
Just to repeat, .2 motors are not believed to suffer from the bore scoring issue that .1 owners report here.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Quick (and very related) question: my tailpipes are black and sooty, however at the end of a track day, they are in a very light brown. After I drove home from the track they are black again.
High RPM burns the soot away?
I'd think it has to do with elevated engine temps which I guess has partly to do with rpms. You need to drive home faster
Old 07-24-2016, 05:23 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Purchased my car in march of 2006. Left tail pipe noticeably darker than right from the get go. At 3K miles, after I complained to dealer and Porsche Customer Satisfaction, A technician was sent from the manufacturer. Motor was bore scoped and leakdown test and plug inspection was performed. The findings were: "no engine faults found, no wear at all found. Motor is not even broken in."

10 plus years and 45k miles later my left side tail pipes are still darker than the right side. Driven properly the motor uses a qt of oil every 1200-1500 miles. This also has remained constant from day 1. Earlier I proposed an explanation for this. In the absence of bore scoring, consider 'random tolerance stacking' ie while within tolerances the values on one or more cylinders on one side randomly fall to produce a bank that runs richer or burns a bit more oil than the other.

There has never been any smoking, ticking what have you, no symptoms other than what I have described. The car is quite fast among other .1's.

Earlier in ownership I confess to losing a bit of sleep. At this point I can honestly tell you that at 7000 rpm in third gear it does not diminish the smile on my face one whit. This has been a good if a bit idiosyncratic car for me.

Cheers,
Gerry
Old 07-24-2016, 05:55 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I'd think it has to do with elevated engine temps which I guess has partly to do with rpms. You need to drive home faster

Drive more, drive faster, drive harder. If there's a random, low probability failure in there, you want it to happen before not after CPO runs out. And, you'll want as many happy memories before then, in the unlikely event such a disaster occurs...T
Old 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets

Drive more, drive faster, drive harder. If there's a random, low probability failure in there, you want it to happen before not after CPO runs out. And, you'll want as many happy memories before then, in the unlikely event such a disaster occurs...T
Maybe I don't understand how the inside of the center muffler is built, but I doubt the pipes travel straight thru without having holes in them to facilitate muffling sound and as a result the exhaust from left and right get intermingled. If you have the center muffler bypass, then you might draw some conclusion if there is a big difference between left and right tips. Don't know what it might be!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to repeat, .2 motors are not believed to suffer from the bore scoring issue that .1 owners report here.
TO BE CLEAR: I don't care; I am bringing the issue back to the OPs focus/point, which got lost, as people preached about how engines make soot.

Please follow the thread; address your .2 v. .1 concerns to them directly.

Capiche?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:16 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

TO BE CLEAR: I don't care; I am bringing the issue back to the OPs focus/point, which got lost, as people preached about how engines make soot.

Please follow the thread; address your .2 v. .1 concerns to them directly.

Capiche?

What is wrong with you man? The OP had a concern. it is not a valid concern for him or other.2 owners. This has been noted in this months 911 Euro mag. That is what this thread is about. Read carefully: .2 cars do not suffer from bore scoring. I went beyond your "setting others right" to address the issue. Get a grip. PM me if there is some past history between us that would justify this kind of nonsense on your part.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is wrong with you man? The OP had a concern. it is not a valid concern for him or other.2 owners. This has been noted in this months 911 Euro mag. That is what this thread is about..
And yet, how many posts in are you before your Euro mag reference is made?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:34 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

And yet, how many posts in are you before your Euro mag reference is made?

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What is wrong with you man? The OP had a concern. it is not a valid concern for him or other.2 owners. This has been noted in this months 911 Euro mag. That is what this thread is about. Read carefully: .2 cars do not suffer from bore scoring. I went beyond your "setting others right" to address the issue. Get a grip. PM me if there is some past history between us that would justify this kind of nonsense on your part.
Are you sure about this? I just saw Jake Raby post elsewhere within the past week that he has done rebuilds on .2 cars for bore scoring....I would further qualify this...
Old 07-25-2016, 12:42 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gopirates
Are you sure about this? I just saw Jake Raby post elsewhere within the past week that he has done rebuilds on .2 cars for bore scoring....I would further qualify this...
This question is not new and has been discussed in all the tech sections of all the mags including Excellence and 911 so I am just reflecting what seems to be current thinking. Reportedly there was a change made in the bore coatings of the .2 to address the scoring issue. (I want to say nikasil to lockasil but don't recall for sure). Likewise cooling problems and block rigidity were addressed. I've not seen a user complaint relating to the 9A1 motors and #6 cylinder and they have been on the road a while now. There may be other failure modes in the newer motor but overall it seems to less prone to cylinder failures. I guess anything is possible but the odds seem to greatly favor the updated motor for this kind of stuff. Someone once proposed there should be separate boards for the two models because of this sort of thing. Jake Raby of course sees it all.
I would suggest that OP should not lose sleep over the pictures he posted. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

My left tail pipe was sootier than the right.

Currently deep in to a rebuild....

OP be very afraid

Quick Reply: A little tailpipe anxiety - 997.2