Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 808 Posts

Shipping and down time ... I was fortunate to be able to drive my mufflers over to Darin and swap them on the spot for exactly what I wanted. Shipping hassles might have pushed me toward a local shop, or encouraged me to bring out my torch and welder. But as I said ... I was fortunate and would use Fister again.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Hardly negligible. My total cost was $85. I removed the cans, supplied the 2 inch stainless pipe and had a local muffler shop do the welding.
Agree - I did mine back September '07 and still going strong. I took the mufflers out - took them to a local Midas shop and later that day put them back in - been perfect since - can't see spending the money on something pretty that you'll never see.

Matt
The following users liked this post:
samselt (09-17-2019)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Hardly negligible. My total cost was $85. I removed the cans, supplied the 2 inch stainless pipe and had a local muffler shop do the welding.
My total was very similar, but i took it to a welding shop so,i could get pretty welds . shipping and exchange to canada 🇨🇦 would have probably put it up to 6-700 more at least. If I was in the US , I would have considered fisters especially if they were close by.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:00 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
I imagine I do not nearly have the financial wearwithal as some around rennlist, however since we are talking about $100k cars and when exhaust systems usually run a few thousand dollars, to me, the difference between a low-quote $85 exhaust hack and $385 Fister factory-refurbish seems minimal at best. Do it right, do it once. Sorry, not trying to be insensitive. Just tying to give the best advise.
I am constantly amazed at the willingness of some people to **** their money away. The difference between $85 and $385 isn’t “minimal”, it’s $300. Add in shipping and installation and you’re talking about an amount double that, or more.

I spent about $75 on my Gundo Hack. I “did it right and did it once” and I didn’t throw hundreds of Dollars into the trash along the way.

Its one thing to spend the money because you don’t have the willingness or ability to remove the mufflers, or you have enough money that several hundred Dollars isn’t important to you. If that’s the case, own it. But don’t “advise” someone that there is any functional benefit from spending that money. There is not.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

I am constantly amazed at the willingness of some people to **** their money away. The difference between $85 and $385 isn’t “minimal”, it’s $300. Add in shipping and installation and you’re talking about an amount double that, or more.

I spent about $75 on my Gundo Hack. I “did it right and did it once” and I didn’t throw hundreds of Dollars into the trash along the way.

Its one thing to spend the money because you don’t have the willingness or ability to remove the mufflers, or you have enough money that several hundred Dollars isn’t important to you. If that’s the case, own it. But don’t “advise” someone that there is any functional benefit from spending that money. There is not.
According to the owner of the Indy Shop I go to, him having seen enough failing welds and hack jobs on non-stainless cross-over pipe was enough to make me spend $300 extra for the piece of mind that my exhaust wouldn't mysteriously become louder over time. While there may not be a functional benefit, there are others which you seem to conveniently forget. I did not care to play roulette with the local exhaust shop. Yes, I did it just once and am sure I wont have to mess with it again. That is my "advice" to you.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

According to the owner of the Indy Shop I go to, him having seen enough failing welds and hack jobs on non-stainless cross-over pipe was enough to make me spend $300 extra for the piece of mind that my exhaust wouldn't mysteriously become louder over time. While there may not be a functional benefit, there are others which you seem to conveniently forget. I did not care to play roulette with the local exhaust shop. Yes, I did it just once and am sure I wont have to mess with it again. That is my "advice" to you.
"Play roulette"? Ridiculous.

This ain't rocket science. If a competent muffler shop welds a stainless tube in there, there are no worries. If Bubba glues some PVC in there and it comes apart, that's on the car owner.

If paying more for the Fisters makes you or other buyers happy, then spend it. It is what it is. But it isn't any better than a Gundo done by a competent muffler shop anywhere in the country.

The Fisters are beautifully-made pieces of art. I'll be the first to admit that my $75 Gundo Hack has horrible-looking welds. But, since no one will ever see those welds, I can't justify spending more for them.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

The Fisters are beautifully-made pieces of art. I'll be the first to admit that my $75 Gundo Hack has horrible-looking welds. But, since no one will ever see those welds, I can't justify spending more for them.
And to that end it is up to the user to determine the added value of professionally refurbished mufflers. If you're cool with sloppy welds that no one will see, fine. It would only bother you or I to know they are underneath. My point is that any performance exhaust system across any make/model is usually a several thousand $. So at this point, accomplishing the goal for $300 seems very reasonable to me.

I am not here to argue with you. But, I think it's prudent to give perspective to someone asking about the different ways to accomplish the sound-goal on a performance car.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

And to that end it is up to the user to determine the added value of professionally refurbished mufflers. If you're cool with sloppy welds that no one will see, fine. It would only bother you or I to know they are underneath. My point is that any performance exhaust system across any make/model is usually a several thousand $. So at this point, accomplishing the goal for $300 seems very reasonable to me.

I am not here to argue with you. But, I think it's prudent to give perspective to someone asking about the different ways to accomplish the sound-goal on a performance car.
I think we can all agree that whichever approach feels best for you is right. However, I hope you don't think that what you will have In the end is a " performance" exhaust.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:50 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

I think we can all agree that whichever approach feels best for you is right. However, I hope you don't think that what you will have In the end is a " performance" exhaust.
This is a debateable remark. Anytime you change the flow of an exhaust system you are going to affect the performance. The question are.... is it a positive or negative affect on performance and what is the nature in change of performance.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Do either of these mods trigger the California Smog certification shops into denying a smog certification?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:56 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cringely
Do either of these mods trigger the California Smog certification shops into denying a smog certification?
These only affect flow of gasses post cat and should have no affect on engine pollutant emissions.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs

This is a debateable remark. Anytime you change the flow of an exhaust system you are going to affect the performance. The question are.... is it a positive or negative affect on performance and what is the nature in change of performance.
not debatable - this is no different than the Porsche “sport exhaust” (minus the ability to turn on / off) and Porsche indicates there is no difference in performance - it’s simply a partial bypass of the muffler- for a nice sound (very nice)

matt
Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs

These only affect flow of gasses post cat and should have no affect on engine pollutant emissions.
Not true. Here in California it has to pass visual inspection. They literally use a mirror like a bomb squad to eyeball under the engine bay to see if there are any mods. Once they see it, they might not flunk you, but they can.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:51 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Not true. Here in California it has to pass visual inspection. They literally use a mirror like a bomb squad to eyeball under the engine bay to see if there are any mods. Once they see it, they might not flunk you, but they can.
uh......it is true.....it just sucks to be you to have to deal with those who are ignorant. All it is , is a change in sound.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:07 AM
BeeBurr
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I like so many others would like to turn up the volume and possibly squeeze a bit more from the motor in my 997.1 C2S. If I was to do a Gundo/Fister hack, and as well a header swap, lets just say Fabspeeds. Is that something anyone else has done?
Your thoughts...

Quick Reply: What’s the difference between Fister and Gundo Hack exhaust mod?