Speakers Upgrade on 997.2 (ALL) - Keep OEM HU Bose Surround

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speakers Upgrade on 997.2 (ALL) - Keep OEM HU Bose Surround

Gens,

I finally decided to upgrade ALL the speakers on my 997.2 with OEM Bose Surround sound. My goals with this project were:

1. Get close to High End Audio keeping the OEM HU (And No Impedance issues)
2. Smooth, Clear, Natural and Rich Sound (Silk Tweeters, Big Voice coils, HQ Cones, Right Magnet Balance, etc.)
3. Avoid Big Bass and Muddy Sound
4. Bring Sound-Stage Lifelike, Seamless and More Immersive
5. Speaker placement in OEM Locations
6. Minimum Customization (Frames, Brackets, etc.)
7. No Rewiring. Just Install the Speakers, No X-Overs, No Extra Amps, etc.
8. No Adding extra weight to the Car.
9. And...Under $1K (for the 9 speakers to be replaced + a pair of tweeters = 11 ).

Could be feasible? Really?

After lot of research, I found a company from CA which is a supplier of high-end car speakers for audiophiles. CDT Audio (No affiliation at all)

Recipe (All CDT Audio):

*Tweeters on Dashboard: DRT-25. (Build a bracket to make it fit).
*Center Dashboard: ES-02DVC (Build a bracket to make it fit).
*Front Doors lower side: ES-6iM 6.7. (Build a bracket to make it fit).
*Front Doors upper side: HD-3
*Rear Panel: HD-4. (Build a bracket to make it fit).
*Subwoofers: ES-5. Plug and play solution (Are not true subs, but within the Bose box get a tight, clean, and musically oriented bass...which in a car doesn’t have to be loud, boomy, and sloppy).

The car audio sound it's now amazing; Voices and Instruments are absolutely more richer, defined and clear than before. The sound stage it's at the right place...and overall that project exceeded my listening expectations.

Sorry, no pictures...but a great sound.

Last edited by MemeMagno; 07-07-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

So you sourced them from CA but where were they installed. I see you're also in Chicago. Anyplace local? Total cost?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Installed by Car Candy in Highland Park, IL. Cost? $350.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

The whole package including speakers, custom fab and install was $350 or just the speakers?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Speakers $650 + Installation $350 = $ 1000 Total.

About the speakers: I purchased them directly thru the CDT Audio site. Really top-notch quality and sound at a very reasonable price because CDT Audio also sells car speakers without the " 2 way/ 3 way components" packages (which includes X-Overs, etc.).

About Car Candy: It's a kind of "boutique" shop (I like to support local business who are truly passionate about their work). Chris, the owner, knows how to deal with German cars, and how to build a good sound stage inside that little space.

Finally: If you want to spend a little more and get the best-possible sound inside a 997, keeping the OEM HU: On top the speaker's replacement, get an Audison Prima AP8.9 bit (Has 8 amplified and bridgeable channels, plus a dedicated subwoofer output channel + State-of-the-Art DSP w/24-bit AD/DA convertor, all in one small size!!!) which is the ONLY non-invasive solution available in the market for Porsche PCM 3.0 HU. I'm very happy with my current sound stage, so no AP 8.9 for me...for now.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

Just so folks have a full set of opinions......

I changed out all my speakers for quality Focal units and kept the premium Bose head unit/nav and amp in my 2009 C2S.... I did it DIY.

1 - It was alot of work
2 - The sound improvements were limited.... not worth it to be totally honest.
3 - I think the biggest improvement is from replacing the electronics and not the speakers

I heard a 2009 C2S, like mine but where the owner swapped out the electronics for an Alpine head unit and I don't know what brand amp. Kept Bose speaker setup.... wow... now that sounded good.

It looks like I am going to swap out the electronics in a few weeks, something I should have done originally and kept the Bose speakers.... unfortunately, I didn't hear the alt system in time.

FWIW, YMMV, so start with your objective: best sound quality? Keep stock look? Biggest bang for bucks? Each will take you down a different path.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-07-2016, 11:57 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Car Sound it's always a big subjective discussion. I Just wanted to share my experience with a $1K budget to get the best IMHO sound maintaining the OEM HU, without rewiring speakers, without new amps, including $350 the whole installation: It's a really good deal (No way for a DIY. I know there are big car audio shops charging much more than that...but find the right place to do it...we are talking about just speaker's swap and build some brackets).
Not every speaker in the market are the right solution for the car. I dismissed Focal and Morel because their mid-top lines always need big amps (and are way too pricey - I don't like theirs entry lines).

Last edited by MemeMagno; 07-07-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually getting best overall sound requires getting rid of the Porsche amp and getting something good. Also, consider a processor
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 PM
MemeMagno
Instructor

I just listened the sound in another 997 with the Audison Prima AP 8.9...It's a whole different experience. Now I'm in the process to get one (Not sure where to buy it yet...).
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is great to know- especially for 997.2 owners with Bose that want to keep their original head units. Maybe I'm the only one or maybe it's new to me honeymoon, but I find the factory audio quality in my cabrio actually pretty decent- especially for a convertible.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:48 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
I just listened the sound in another 997 with the Audison Prima AP 8.9...It's a whole different experience. Now I'm in the process to get one (Not sure where to buy it yet...).
Sounds like someone is going down the slippery slope that is the car audio(phile) world. I used to have a Lexus with Audison AV 5.1k amp, bit10 processor, voce AV k6 components and tweeters, and JL w7 10in sub. Man was that set up something else. Was like I was at the front row of a concert with live orchestra and the singer 10 feet away from me. So clean, crisp, and accurate. Every time a bell rang you thought someone was hitting a triangle next to your ear. Low end bass was bumpin extra hard, no rattles whatsoever, and extremely accurately. The midbass was surprisingly excellent too according to my dealer/installer. He said it was due to the high quality of materials lexus used in those doors. Really brought out the best from the components.

This thread makes me want to inquire about upgrading my non Bose system with some Audison goodies.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
This is great to know- especially for 997.2 owners with Bose that want to keep their original head units. Maybe I'm the only one or maybe it's new to me honeymoon, but I find the factory audio quality in my cabrio actually pretty decent- especially for a convertible.
I agree, the stock 997.2 Bose system is pretty good.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
I agree, the stock 997.2 Bose system is pretty good.
+1

It may explain why there is so little information and activity about upgrading the 997.2. Another reason may be the complexity with the digital interface between the head unit, the amp, and integration with the car computer.

So while I agree the sound is good, I know it is not as good as it should be particularly with alternative sources like XM and high quality MP3s. The best sound from this system is DVD 5.1 discs with Queen's Night at the Opera sounding just fantastic!

So, as I pursue high definition, I am going to replace the head unit and amp and ditch the 5.1 capability.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm happy with the Bose system!

Tom
Old 07-10-2016, 01:55 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Gens,
I decided to not stop just on the speakers upgrade, because the new CDTs are kind of under-power with the OEM Bose Amp...and the EQ Audio signals from the PCM 3 are everything except clean ones. I found at least 3 OEM integration alternatives to keep improving the audio sound in my car. FYI: The audio complexity in 997 cars with the ugly Bose the HU connection with the amplification goes digital (Fiber Optic), which demands in most cases, the mobrigde DA3 ($750) intervention before any Amp/ DSP replacement.
Alternatives TBC:
1. Audison Prima AP 8.9bit: Amplifier + DSP. Apparently also need the mobridge DA3 module. Already in calls with them to confirm the overall footprint need it.
2. Mosconi Gladen One 60.8. Amplifier + DSP. I discovered that solution yesterday...Will talk to them next week in order to get more info. Big advantage: Has a top-tier audio streaming module. Mobridge DA3: I don't know yet.
3. Helix P Six MK2 Amp + DSP, with also a module for audio streaming. Mobrigde DA3 maybe will be required here too.
4. Finally the non-OEM integration: My car is 2011...with an "old" PCM 3.0 which was probably designed between '06-'07, and launched in '08. Many things happened in terms of mobility solutions since those days. With that in mind, maybe it's time to get a new HU (With full DSP, high-end bluetooth audio receiver, front and rear camera integration with parking lines, car-play, fast GPS, and a Volume ****!!!) which should be connected to a very nice multi-channel Amp with DSP.
I'm currently evaluating all these alternatives...but stay tuned.
PS. Mobridge DA3 OEM integration is awesome, but at a MSRP of $750...changing the HU could be more cost effective.

Last edited by MemeMagno; 07-10-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Speakers Upgrade on 997.2 (ALL) - Keep OEM HU Bose Surround