Sponsored by:

Who has bought a new windshield lately?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:24 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
. . . Oh, one last thing..... even if they promise OEM, tell them the manufacturer and that you will check the installation.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Cool, thanks for the warning and advice.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
I would appreciate it, though, if people would stop with the glass coverage... I think I've made it clear that I don't have it and won't buy it, why keep bringing it up?
Insurance costs are relevant to the overall cost of the windshield. My windshield replacement cost me nothing out of pocket. Driving in Arizona you're lucky not to replace one every year or two so the coverage is worth it in my opinion. It's one of those pay now or pay later kind of things.

My truck has a lot of little pits and chips in it. I kinda wish I'd get one good smack by a rock so I could get a new one already.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:11 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've replaced two windshields ever. In 16 years of driving, two windshields is hardly cause for concern.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Originally Posted by VLJ
I've replaced two windshields ever. In 16 years of driving, two windshields is hardly cause for concern.
That's good. Commuting on the 202 out of Queen Creek, I get pelted with debris at least once a week. I feel like Jack Sparrow...

Old 06-30-2016, 06:11 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

aftermarket glass is like 650 and OEM is 750, the price difference isn't too much. i had mine changed out when i was an idiot during my roll bar installation.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just replaced mine today. OEM dealer. Good experience

I had concerns about non-OEM and leaks down the road. I have State Farm with a great agent. I took it to Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta. They gave me a rental car, charged $1233.00 and after a couple of calls, adjuster agreed to reimburse me in full. I hadn't been in a dealership in quite some time. Pretty Fancy, especially the bathroom with the custom toilet with butt washer and dryer. I think you can press the colonoscopy button, but I was afraid.

Happy to have my car back. Loved a brand new C4S that listed for $154,000.00. Nice, but not worth my car and a hundred and twenty grand!

Back in the saddle again,

Larry
Old 07-01-2016, 03:09 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had pretty good luck with Safelite until they forgot to reattach the windshield washer lines on my 997.2. The washer fluid would empty in a few minutes. Spent half a day at the dealer waiting to find the problem. Next windshield is installed at the dealer.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Ironically, driving home from work on the 202 (east valley Phoenix/Mesa) yesterday I took a rock hit on my truck near the top of the windshield which caused a 8-10 inch crack to develop right before my eyes while I was driving. I'll contact USAA and have a Safelite mobile guy come do it since it's just a truck and it's free.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Call Your Insurance Company Back

Originally Posted by Hal
An hour after reading this thread yesterday, WHAM, a rock and broken windshield on the '05! Knew I should have ignored this thread.

Just called USAA and was automatically transferred to Safelite. Long talk with the customer service rep. Waiting for a quote for OEM glass.
I have Hartford on my 2009 911S and when I called the claims department, the recording said to "Press two if this was only a windshield claim." Yes, that sent me right to Safelite who said I did not qualify for OEM glass. They gave me the usual BS that the Chinese glass was great. They also said that is all they has to install.

I live in California, where they must give you a OEM option, albeit at a higher price, so I called Hartford and just asked for an adjuster, and related what Safelite said and she said "You should have called us directly." She had no answer when I reminded her about the automatic referral from her office to Safelite.

Anyway, I had the dealer put it in, and yes, they hold it overnight to cure.
Cost to me was about $300, but it was, to my mind, well worth it.

Call your insurance company back and ask for an adjuster. Forget Safelite, they just spend a money on TV ads...
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Tsilnner. A week later, I seem to be on permanent hold with Safelite. I'll call Claims with USAA tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Thanks, Tsilnner. A week later, I seem to be on permanent hold with Safelite. I'll call Claims with USAA tomorrow.
Curious what you hear from USAA. I don't have a special rider for glass (if that's even possible) and it's not included by default with USAA. I just had a windshield done on my truck with Safelite (went to the Sterling, VA office) and they did a good job.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Originally Posted by Hal
If you have a Porsche dealer near you, you could contact them and find out who they use for glass repair and then see if that place is an authorized glass repair shop with USAA. That's how I did it. Porsche North Scottsdale forwarded me to Penske who in turn contacted USAA through a 3-way call to schedule and authorize the claim at the same time. It was very easy. Also, USAA has an automated glass claim form on their website. I just filled out a claim yesterday for my truck and although I went ahead with a local Safelite mobile installer based on my zip code, there was an option to choose a preferred installer.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Quick update: Got the new OEM glass installed today by Safelite. So far it looks like a good job with no visible gaps and no wind noise. It took almost 2 weeks, but the crack was far right and didn't cause any problems, so the time factor was OK to get what I wanted.

FWIW, they did say that their Chinese brand of glass was no longer available for the 997 and all repairs in the future will be OEM.

YMMV

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:23 PM
AZMAUI
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 15 Posts

I just had my windshield replaced on my 2011 GTS and I worked through Porsche Chandler, who referred me to Specialized Auto Glass, Chandler AZ. I have USAA and normally use Porsche North Scottsdale, but ran into issues with getting authorization with OEM Glass - I was told policy was OEM only within 2 Year of MFG, then aftermarket if available. So I was going to have to pay the difference if I wanted OEM. Specialized was able to get me "Dealer Approved" (i.e. OEM) and did a great job in the installation. Specialized has experience with all high end cars, so I'm using them from now on.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So I ended up going to the car wash and having a guy "repair" the chip which means he filled it with epoxy, I can see a little bit of a drill hole that will probably never goes away but he was pretty sure that it will never spread.

I spent $40 so even if it only lasts six months it was a cheap experiment.

Thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply: Who has bought a new windshield lately?