Sponsored by:

997.2 Strange Clutch / Flywheel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Brandon Dixon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Strange Clutch / Flywheel Issue

I have an 09 997 S, around 33K miles. I've had the car 3 years and about 22K of the miles. No clutch issues at all until one morning I was getting in line at a traffic light, when I let the clutch out in neutral, to wait at the light, the release felt odd... Then when I went back into gear, the clutch would not fully dis-engage. I limped a few miles home, taking it easy and turning the car off when I needed to stop.

I was hoping that the issue was hydraulic. After replacing the clutch master, a quick test drive showed the symptoms were still there. I did notice the clutch slip a bit on a small hill even with the clutch fully engaged and at low rpm/speed. So it appeared to be a clutch issue.

I ordered the clutch kit, and finally had some time to get it all apart. The transmission is out and the pressure plate is removed. The strange issue for me is that they appear to be just fine. I expected broken disk friction material or something similar preventing disengagement and giving poor clamping....

The used disk measures about 0.030" less thick than the new one. Pressure plate seems flat, no significant signs of heat.

The dual mass flywheel feels strange to me, but I have no experience with dual mass flywheels. It has more "flexibility" than I expected, as it was moving around while getting the clutch off. The friction surface rotates some by hand, with a sort of a fluid coupling feel. It does seem to stop rotating, at least by hand, after 10-20 degrees.

The release bearing looks/feels good.

Any thoughts on checking the condition of the flywheel? Any other thoughts on the source of the problem, as I don't want to put it all back together without making sure that I have found the problem.

I've attached pics of the pp/disk.

Thanks!
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 997.2 Strange Clutch / Flywheel Issue