Sponsored by:

IPod Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:21 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IPod Issues

I have searched the forums here and havnt found answer to my issue. My car is a 2011 4S cab. I bought a brand new cord. (hoping this was the issue, not) I have both plugs plugged into the center console. The ipod icon will appear in the center screen and will work for 1 minute to 10 minutes then will shut down and switch to FM or whatever was previously on. A blue message appears and says ipod not ready. This happens every time I try to use the ipod. It will work for a short while then shut down. I have an older Ipod with a 30 pin connector and a newer one as well with the lightening connector and an adapter. The same scenario happens with both ipods. Do I need a PCM upgrade? Could it be the female part of the cable inside the center console? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:43 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey VS,

I've experienced the same issue frequently and have tried virtually everything I can think of to trace this issue down, including taking it to the dealer.

My best working theory at this point has to do with the pairing of bluetooth devices on your phone at the time you connect it to the PCM.

I have an iWatch (don't judge), and if it's paired to my phone when I connect to the PCM, it will only allow me to play music from my phone through the AUX button on the PCM. Amusing since I'm not connecting through the AUX port.

If I remove all BT connected devices BEFORE connecting to the PCM, it seems to work fine following these steps:

1. Check to make sure no other BT devices connected to phone.
2. Turn on PCM, allow PCM to detect and connect to phone via BT.
3. Once phone connected to PCM via BT, connect phone to PCM with cord.

My best guess with your issue is at some point, your phone is connecting to another BT device which MAY/IS causing your PCM to drop phone.

Should work fine. Again, experience may vary per person but this works for me and it's been a nightmare trying to solve this issue.

Best of luck!

KS
Old 06-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There seem to be two likely causes:
1) They physical electrical connection between the PCM and the UAI cable is intermittent
2) Something about the software in the iOS device is dropping the connection out of the port to allow remote (from PCM) control protocol to work.

I'd try the software issues first - as recommended. Get a plain iOS device isn't configured for anything else and see if it works on the UAI plug. Given the screwy behavior I get form my iPhone 6 it wouldn't surprise me to find that iOS is causing the issue. (My iOS problem is the phone will say I have to enter my passcode to enable touch ID again.. because "its been over 48 hrs" (it hasn't as it was fine when I wen to bed 6 hrs ago, and sitting on a charger all night). Apple supports diagnosis is update the phone to latest OS and reset to factory (remove all settings and software) and see if that fixes it.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:36 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VanSant62
I have searched the forums here and havnt found answer to my issue. My car is a 2011 4S cab. I bought a brand new cord. (hoping this was the issue, not) I have both plugs plugged into the center console. The ipod icon will appear in the center screen and will work for 1 minute to 10 minutes then will shut down and switch to FM or whatever was previously on. A blue message appears and says ipod not ready. This happens every time I try to use the ipod. It will work for a short while then shut down. I have an older Ipod with a 30 pin connector and a newer one as well with the lightening connector and an adapter. The same scenario happens with both ipods. Do I need a PCM upgrade? Could it be the female part of the cable inside the center console? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
If both iPods drop, then it points to a PCM problem. Even my PCM, back in 2009, worked with my iPod, and now with the latest PCM software it still does, so I don't know that an update will help or make any difference.

Question: did the iPod interface ever work?

What you may also do is find another similar car you can test your iPod in just to get a point of reference. How easy something like this is for a dealer to test / fix - who knows.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:45 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevepow
If both iPods drop, then it points to a PCM problem. Even my PCM, back in 2009, worked with my iPod, and now with the latest PCM software it still does, so I don't know that an update will help or make any difference.

Question: did the iPod interface ever work?

What you may also do is find another similar car you can test your iPod in just to get a point of reference. How easy something like this is for a dealer to test / fix - who knows.
Thanks everyone, last night I followed Ksozays advice and cleared all BT connections, used the Y cable, and turned on the ipod after a hard reset. all was working great until I accelerated from 65 to about ninety. Ipod dropped. I unplugged, it worked then stopped again. Very odd. I may just try using the Aux plug and see if that works. I was using the older Ipod touch with the 30 pin connector,
Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VanSant62
Thanks everyone, last night I followed Ksozays advice and cleared all BT connections, used the Y cable, and turned on the ipod after a hard reset. all was working great until I accelerated from 65 to about ninety. Ipod dropped. I unplugged, it worked then stopped again. Very odd. I may just try using the Aux plug and see if that works. I was using the older Ipod touch with the 30 pin connector,
Thats starting to sound a lot like an electrical cabling connection issue.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I see this every once in a while. Usually, unplugging the iPod and plugging it back in solves the problem so I've always attributed this to an intermittent connection on the cable. The other cause I've found is overheating -- if it's REALLY hot outside, the iPod may get heated while the car is parked and refuse to respond when I first get going -- to solve this, I have to unplug it from the cable and let it cool down (usually by holding it over one of the A/C vents for several minutes).
Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the ideas on fixing this issue. Im going to schedule a PCM upgrade since I have no idea if its been done or not. As far as the ipod being too hot, that was not the case although I have had it happen in direct sun in the past. Its just odd that it works fine then, nothing. I'll let you know the outcome.

Quick Reply: IPod Issues