Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering M3 to 997 to escape problems, good move?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between porsche and bmw (at least when it came to the E46 chassis issue), is that bmw manned up and accepted liability and fixed it (even in the UK where class actions don't exist).

How do I know? I used to have an m3 (which they fixed for free), great car
Old 06-09-2016, 02:23 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Like they say in Tombstone, BYE!
Old 06-10-2016, 05:55 PM
JDev
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Guys, the rear subframe issue is a $1200 to $1500 repair.

Turner kit is $200ish, the rest is labor.

hardly a show stopper.
Some people are willing to tolerate that level of correction and call it fixed. I was that guy too, but the floor and mounts crack in more areas than just where the turner plates cover. Maybe some cars will last 500k with these unaddressed hidden cracks and spot weld breaks with just turner plates but I've just lost interest in wondering. There current is no consensus on what if anything to do with the front shock towers separating too, and that broke this camels back. I've lost respect for BMW for repeated failures with chassis integrity. Mini too it sounds like. It is a great car to experience, and good looking and well supported in the aftermarket, but I'm getting a 911 for the keeper car. 50 proud years+ I like that lineage.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by JDev
Some people are willing to tolerate that level of correction and call it fixed. I was that guy too, but the floor and mounts crack in more areas than just where the turner plates cover. Maybe some cars will last 500k with these unaddressed hidden cracks and spot weld breaks with just turner plates but I've just lost interest in wondering. There current is no consensus on what if anything to do with the front shock towers separating too, and that broke this camels back. I've lost respect for BMW for repeated failures with chassis integrity. Mini too it sounds like. It is a great car to experience, and good looking and well supported in the aftermarket, but I'm getting a 911 for the keeper car. 50 proud years+ I like that lineage.
There ya go - correct decision, one you will not regret..
Old 06-11-2016, 09:45 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see lots of former M3 owners on this board. Dont know if they flock the other direction.

Quick Reply: Considering M3 to 997 to escape problems, good move?