Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering M3 to 997 to escape problems, good move?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nk215
How about a new 727hp mustang for $40K with warranty?

http://www.lebanonford.com/the-727-hp-mustang.htm

Can't beat that beast for the price.

However, the OP wants a car that last forever (a million miles).
The only Mustang that interests me personally is the GT350.

Not saying that Roush or whatever is a bad car, just not something I would recommend or consider purchasing.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:55 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Performance cars out of warranty are gambles.

Like a hobby, you have to enjoy all aspects of it: Sourcing parts, fixing idiosyncrasies. staying on top of things yourself, becoming part of a community, having a hobby piggy bank for upgrades and even disasters. You pour in a lot of effort that you enjoy, so you can enjoy the driving.

If you like driving, and that's the extent of what you like, then lease a high-end sports car under warranty.

High-performance, high-end cars out of warranty reward those who see it as a hobby. Like the person that's into fishing as a hobby, they'll spend hours taking care of their gear, making new lures, fixing the damn outboard again. If you like to just fish, take a charter trip.

That's a really good POV.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:31 AM
JDev
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
The chassis is bulletproof.
That's what I'm trying to get a gauge on there.

The e46 chassis is not designed to endure over the years. It's a fun, great, raw car for its size and wheelbase, but normal driving conditions shouldn't cause the car to fall apart. I found 15 independent cracks or spot welds coming loose in the floor areas, and that with a very minor amount of damage visible with the car still assembled. The guy I bought it from had it inspected by BMW who didn't think it was cracked at all.

That's part of the problem. You have to remove the entire rear end and cut sections of the top of the trunk out to fully diagnose it. I wanted to keep the car possibly forever as a BMW winner, but after later discovering the front shock towers also have issues, I'm looking for something that was able to get the design engineering it needed. Great fun car otherwise and I'm sure the crash safety is excellent (yay).
Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JDev

The e46 chassis is not designed to endure over the years. It's a fun, great, raw car for its size and wheelbase, but normal driving conditions shouldn't cause the car to fall apart. I found 15 independent cracks or spot welds coming loose in the floor areas, and that with a very minor amount of damage visible with the car still assembled. The guy I bought it from had it inspected by BMW who didn't think it was cracked at all.

That's part of the problem. You have to remove the entire rear end and cut sections of the top of the trunk out to fully diagnose it. I wanted to keep the car possibly forever as a BMW winner, but after later discovering the front shock towers also have issues, I'm looking for something that was able to get the design engineering it needed. Great fun car otherwise and I'm sure the crash safety is excellent (yay).
Your answer
http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-cor...les-1780556198

buy yourself a corvette
Old 06-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by JDev

Good god, I had heard about these subframes coming apart, I was under the impression the E46 M3 was one of the greats, based off this information I would put it in the category of total garbage. Yah get a 997 you'll love it.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
Good god, I had heard about these subframes coming apart, I was under the impression the E46 M3 was one of the greats, based off this information I would put it in the category of total garbage. Yah get a 997 you'll love it.
I usually outright trash an entire line of cars based on one guys posts as well. The internet is the perfect place to accumulate factual information like this.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I would not advise escaping the M3 for any reason other than wanting a better car. Certainly not for any monetary reasons.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marvinta
I usually outright trash an entire line of cars based on one guys posts as well. The internet is the perfect place to accumulate factual information like this.
Marv - the E46 M3 chassis cracking apart is a well documented issue. Every owner I have talked to has mentioned it - what I wasn't aware is how expensive and time consuming preventing the issue is - makes for a weak buy and put in the junker category. The OP is asking us if we have any chassis issues - the answer is no issues, the 997 chassis is solid.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

doesn't take much to find data regarding this. apparently it impacts all E46 generation

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1224621
Old 06-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Guys, the rear subframe issue is a $1200 to $1500 repair.

Turner kit is $200ish, the rest is labor.

hardly a show stopper.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:29 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I want to chime in. I've had a bunch of sports cars over the years and thought I'd get an M3 when I 'grew up'. Prior to getting one, bought a Mini, an R53. Of course I knew about the e46 subframe issues but I didn't know about all the chassis issues with the mini. Basically at least two well known - buckling front shock towers and weak constantly cracking windshields. Reinforced the shock towers but after two windshields it was enough (stock car, mind you). Went straight to a 911. Really couldn't be happier. To me if a car manufacturer treats their cars as disposable items that have similar problems over many years (decades) spanning product lines, it's a major red flag. I don't want to play that game as I keep cars that I like for a veeery long time.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:07 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Guys, the rear subframe issue is a $1200 to $1500 repair.

Turner kit is $200ish, the rest is labor.

hardly a show stopper.
If that. I was on e46fanatics when I had my E46. Even for cars that were out of warranty for 5 years, dealer would still fix it for free, even with a loaner.

Mine was great during the 15+ years, 190K miles I had it.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Para82
Race Car

A permanent fix at that price is not a bad deal at all. Scary to think the car can crack apart though.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:45 AM
ktrainman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

997.2 less likely to break than e46 m3 but when it does will be much more expensive.

Really depends on luck with car and your willingness to tolerate very unlikely bill for engine or transmission failure.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

If you've already locked down the subframe, I'd keep it. You can address the vanos issues inexpensively as well. As far as worrying about what else could happen to the car, just drive it and enjoy it. If other problems arise, fix them as they come up instead of living in fear. The E46M is a great platform and a wonderful driving experience, I wouldn't punt it because you're worried of what else might come up during your ownership.

Quick Reply: Considering M3 to 997 to escape problems, good move?