Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surface rust in fender well. Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at the photo is hard to tell what part of the body it is but it would appear that the Tailored Blanks are the only materials that are semi-finished.

Tailored blanks are semi-finished parts, which are typically made from sheets with different alloys, thicknesses, coatings or material properties. After joining, these will be subjected to deep drawing or stamping.

Tailored blanks were developed by ThyssenKrupp to make sheets that were wider than those made on available rolling mills of the time. These days, tailored blanks are used to make items such as door panels which are thick near the hinges and thin near the lock to withstand different types of loads or corrosion attacks. They are lighter and often cheaper than conventional sheets. Tailored Blanks are typically made from steel. Aluminium and dissimilar material tailored blanks are also available but less common. (Wikipedia)
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2016, 04:49 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that little rust, I wouldn’t worry about it. If left untreated in CA, nothing will actually happen in your lifetime.

If you want, you can spray it with POR-15 metal prep that would convert the rust into a hard black surface and call it a day.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:25 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nk215
With that little rust, I wouldn’t worry about it. If left untreated in CA, nothing will actually happen in your lifetime.

If you want, you can spray it with POR-15 metal prep that would convert the rust into a hard black surface and call it a day.
Not my car so easy. Treat as above. Keep it clean. It should last many lifetimes in California. Stop looking for problems.

Big smoke - free car therapist

Quick Reply: Surface rust in fender well. Should I be worried?