Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sharkwerks muffler bypass system

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016 | 06:49 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Default sharkwerks muffler bypass system

I know there have been a lot of discussions surrounding this muffler bypass system by sharkwerks, I do however have a few questions about it.

For the people that have installed it on a base 997.2 have you noticed a real gain in HP? Many comments are on the sound, but I am interested in the feel.

In CA our highest octane is 91, does that mean that the gains will be lower because of that?

thanks
Old 06-03-2016 | 07:43 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I know there have been a lot of discussions surrounding this muffler bypass system by sharkwerks, I do however have a few questions about it.

For the people that have installed it on a base 997.2 have you noticed a real gain in HP? Many comments are on the sound, but I am interested in the feel.

In CA our highest octane is 91, does that mean that the gains will be lower because of that?

thanks
Not sure if it helps, I had mine added to an otherwise stock 997.2 S. I also live in CA and use 91. I "thought" there was a little better pull in middle to high RPM's. But nothing mind-blowing. It was just barely noticeable, if at all.
Old 06-03-2016 | 07:58 PM
mikemessi
Racer

I have a base 2011 997.2 carrera with sharkwerks center bypass. While there may be a slight horsepower gain it's difficult to feel. I think modern ecu's are going to maximize timing advancement for whatever octane fuel you are running and the exhaust, unless really restrictive, will have a small efffect. My goal was to improve the sound. I think to some hearing more exhaust sound gives the sensation of more power.
Old 06-03-2016 | 08:07 PM
nismosd
Instructor

I have the B&B center bypass on a base 997.2 and no real power difference but with fister/gundo hack the sound is exceptional. I'm also located in CA
Old 06-03-2016 | 11:28 PM
love2drive
Instructor

I bought the Sharkwerks bypass for my 2012 GTS. While it definitely Does make the car louder at all revs above 1k rpm, I personally don't like the abrupt increase in dB that kicks in around 4k and above. Some say that such a behavior is desirable as it keeps the car quiet at lower speeds and gets louder when most really want it. For me, there's nothing better than a sound that is linear...that is, proportional to thrust (not just rpm but rather the rate of change in rpm). I think the stock exhaust delivered a more linear audible response albeit a bit too muted. The stock exhaust is also a more refined one... not sure how to elucidate on that other than the scream to redline is more premium with the stock. I give this honest assessment to yall aND hope it's appreciated as you'll be hard pressed to find another as honest and as critical as this and; I hope it proves useful in your determination of whether the purchase is worth while. Of course you can keep the stock exhaust stored away (as I have) incase you want to revert back; but that might be a hassle. Overall though, at my stage in life I am glad to have gotten the Sharkwerks exhaust as the livened up sound outweighs the excessively muted stock sound (even if the stock sound is of higher quality ). Some times, you just want to hear the car loudly. As for the approximate 10 lbs weight savings, +10hp and +10ft lb in torque Sharkwerks states the mod brings... I personally could not feel any difference; but it's nice to know you haven't hindered performance in anyway.
Old 06-03-2016 | 11:54 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

to the OP's original question:
Let's be very generous and say that the muffler brings you a gain of 20 HP
Your car has 400 hp give or take, so 20 hp more is a 5% increase.
No butt dyno will be able to detect that.
Old 06-03-2016 | 11:56 PM
kanecs
Rennlist Member

I have a 12 GTS and there was not any noticeable hp gain, but ooooh that sound! It's how the car should have come from the factory. A big plus with having PSE, is that it makes it manageable when you are on a Bluetooth phone call or your wife is riding with you and says it's too loud. As another poster said, it comes alive at 4K rpm. Only draw back I have, is when mine is cold I'll get a pop of back pressure on a 1st to 2nd shift, which I think is because the car is running rich at cold start, but it really doesn't bother me.

End of the day...Get it you won't regret it. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to take off and put back to stock and plenty of people on here will make you an offer for the used pipes to where it's not a total loss.
Old 06-04-2016 | 02:25 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by love2drive
I bought the Sharkwerks bypass for my 2012 GTS. While it definitely Does make the car louder at all revs above 1k rpm, I personally don't like the abrupt increase in dB that kicks in around 4k and above. Some say that such a behavior is desirable as it keeps the car quiet at lower speeds and gets louder when most really want it. For me, there's nothing better than a sound that is linear...that is, proportional to thrust (not just rpm but rather the rate of change in rpm). I think the stock exhaust delivered a more linear audible response albeit a bit too muted. The stock exhaust is also a more refined one... not sure how to elucidate on that other than the scream to redline is more premium with the stock. I give this honest assessment to yall aND hope it's appreciated as you'll be hard pressed to find another as honest and as critical as this and; I hope it proves useful in your determination of whether the purchase is worth while.
Interesting, that's exactly the same impression I had about the SW bypass sound. You can't hear it at low rpm's, but then it kicks in abruptly at higher revs, and it doesn't sound very smooth/integrated. HOWEVER, once I added the plenum and the fabspeed intake, everything is nice and smooth and blends together sound-wise (except for 5500rpm when everything opens up because there's no Helmholtz resonator anymore...but that has nothing to do with the bypass).
Old 06-04-2016 | 10:30 AM
CT944
Drifting

I have the SW bypass and it's a great addition to the PSE.
Old 06-04-2016 | 02:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1, for the sound only! Makes it sound faster.
Old 06-04-2016 | 02:09 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Great sound with fisters.

Still trying to get a recording of my combo but it snarls and growls at low rpms and then you get the flat six howl at higher.

Just the right volume and mix for me personally but my setup is on the louder side overall.

As for power, I don't notice any difference, which i am fine with.
Old 06-04-2016 | 06:50 PM
Swoody
Racer

Originally Posted by kanecs
I have a 12 GTS and there was not any noticeable hp gain, but ooooh that sound! It's how the car should have come from the factory. A big plus with having PSE, is that it makes it manageable when you are on a Bluetooth phone call or your wife is riding with you and says it's too loud. As another poster said, it comes alive at 4K rpm. Only draw back I have, is when mine is cold I'll get a pop of back pressure on a 1st to 2nd shift, which I think is because the car is running rich at cold start, but it really doesn't bother me.

End of the day...Get it you won't regret it. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to take off and put back to stock and plenty of people on here will make you an offer for the used pipes to where it's not a total loss.

That to me is the best part! I love it...plus it does sound great at cold start up and throughout the rpm range. First thing I do after starting car is push the PSE button...its on always.
Old 06-04-2016 | 07:05 PM
der Geist
Instructor

This.

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
to the OP's original question:
Let's be very generous and say that the muffler brings you a gain of 20 HP
Your car has 400 hp give or take, so 20 hp more is a 5% increase.
No butt dyno will be able to detect that.
Old 06-04-2016 | 08:34 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Of course, if you have PSE and Really want it loud, just unplug the main vacuum switch in the engine bay. This opens all the valves all the way producing an even louder sound than pse on..and it'll all ways be loud, even on startup. Takes less than 5 seconds no tools required. Will not trigger an cel. In this mode, revving at idle produces an impressive wail... I only do this occasionally on the weekends.

QUOTE=Swoody;13346870]That to me is the best part! I love it...plus it does sound great at cold start up and throughout the rpm range. First thing I do after starting car is push the PSE button...its on always.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2016 | 11:32 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Read my write up on the Sharkwerks bypass here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ut-issues.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: sharkwerks muffler bypass system