Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this .1 S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016 | 02:24 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Originally Posted by semicycler
It's a 2006 S so no worries on the IMS bearing. It has the larger more reliable bearing, essentially a non-issue. Early 2005's had the smaller bearing that was part of the class action lawsuit. This car is fine.

Be sure the PPI includes a DME overrev report (not DMV). It's the car's central engine management computer. The report shows the number of cylinder ignitions at and above redline in six ranges, along with the hour counter of the last event and the current total hours on the engine. The report can show if anyone missed a downshift, if the car was driven hard near redline often, if it was babied it's entire life, or if it was recently abused by joy riders and tire kickers. Counts in range 1 and 2 are no big deal. Low counts in range 3 and maybe 4 (maybe) especially very long ago is usually fine. Any counts in 5 or 6, sometimes 4 too need lots of caution. Post the overrev report and hours counter here for some opinions.
Yes, well aware of this one, had one done for my car- clean as a whistle. I advised my pal that if he gets serious to take the car to the Porsche dealer for full PPI & DME and this is NOT OPTIONAL!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this .1 S?