Ripped MAF rubber boot causing problem. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 AM
uwiik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripped MAF rubber boot causing problem. Help please

Hi all,

The rubber boot on my 997 GT2 MAF sensor wire harness plug is ripped on both side (blame the PO), sometimes water would get inside the plug and I get rough idle sometimes up to the point of stalling engine, I always fix it by unplugging it and spray the plug with contact cleaner spray and it is always working but it's getting tiring as it rains a lot here. I have tried looking up everywhere on the internet and seems like nobody sell it or even anybody ever mention about it. Does anybody have any information about where to buy this rubber boot. It is so annoying and ugly that even if the only way to get these rubber boots is to replace the MAF wiring harness I would do it. Advise on part number on both options please.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Most connectors and wiring components are not sold individually by Porsche. You would need to replace the harness that wire is part of. Sometimes you get lucky with an equivalent Audi or VW individual part though as those can be purchased separately. The difficulty is finding the cross reference part number.

Bosch is the MAF supplier to Porsche. You want this grommet made by Bosch: http://www.bosch-connectors.com/bogs...3/product/1350 Not sure where to find one though. Maybe look on eBay for the MAF wire with the grommet already attached? Or a used harness?

edit: try some dielectric grease on the contacts, you should be able to find this at any autoparts store:
Amazon.com: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube: Automotive
Old 05-28-2016, 10:29 AM
uwiik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch!!! Dielectric grease!! That's a great idea, why I didn't think of it before. Thanks for the advice!! I will buy one and use it immediately! At least half of the problem is fixed. The Bosch link is really useful, but where to buy and how if anyone know. Now please if anyone can give me a cross reference of the part number I need for the wire harness, it really looking ugly with ripped boot.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:53 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you really get desperate you could put GE Silicone II over the boot and that should seal it until you can find a replacement part.

Quick Reply: Ripped MAF rubber boot causing problem. Help please