Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0L rebuild - other things to add?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016 | 05:05 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Originally Posted by vern1

Have not heard of anyone going to a 4L needing any additional cooling or braking. Not going to 1000 HP.....

Thanks
Ice in the single malt scotch, will aid in cooling.
Old 05-31-2016 | 05:18 PM
user 72902
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan
If you're adding power and displacement, what are you doing about heat management (additional cooling) and braking?
I'm not sure on the OP's situation but I know a FSI build will have a 160T and new oil heat exchanger. You can also add a third radiator and auxiliary oil cooler if you don't already have one.

I added over 100hp+ to a 993 and upgraded the brakes to big reds. Only saw a difference at the end of long straights on the track were I could really brake late. In my opinion standard Porsche brakes will be more the adequate.
Old 05-31-2016 | 05:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jkw911
I'm not sure on the OP's situation but I know a FSI build will have a 160T and new oil heat exchanger. You can also add a third radiator and auxiliary oil cooler if you don't already have one.

I added over 100hp+ to a 993 and upgraded the brakes to big reds. Only saw a difference at the end of long straights on the track were I could really brake late. In my opinion standard Porsche brakes will be more the adequate.
Interesting.

About adding and oil cooler...... wouldn't that make morning warmups of an everyday driver a bit of an issue? I for one, wouldn't want to sit in my driveway or at least not take it over 4K RPMs for twenty minutes while that oil took forever to warm up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-31-2016 | 09:28 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Interesting.

About adding and oil cooler...... wouldn't that make morning warmups of an everyday driver a bit of an issue? I for one, wouldn't want to sit in my driveway or at least not take it over 4K RPMs for twenty minutes while that oil took forever to warm up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I had one in another car and there's a thermostat valve that bypasses until the oil reached 180 degrees so warm up times shouldn't be a concern. Assuming a similar design is utilized.
Old 05-31-2016 | 11:51 PM
vern1
Race Car

Hi jw, don't know about the 160t or heat exchanger so will check. Haven't had a cooling issue. It will hit 250 on the track and very spirited driving but usually not for long. These days it may see the track once or twice a year

I already have big reds and no intention of dong anything there

Thanks
Old 05-31-2016 | 11:53 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Ice in the single malt scotch, will aid in cooling.
Especially once i start cutting the checks
Old 06-01-2016 | 01:47 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Vern1 looks like you have the bases covered....same with Spiffy. As you both know I added the IPD Comp plenum and GT3 TB on top (stock air box) with X51 headers, 200 cell cats and Fisters. Both of you guys are in a for a shocker (in a good way) when you get your car back.

My slope keeps getting slipperier......I found a X51 intake and plenum off a Cup car. They are both alum and welded together. My car is currently back at FSI getting mated with the X51 intake / plenum, carillo pistons and the heads are being ported. This should give her a little more snap I'll start a separate thread as not to hijack this when photos are available.
Old 06-01-2016 | 03:05 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Vern1 looks like you have the bases covered....same with Spiffy. As you both know I added the IPD Comp plenum and GT3 TB on top (stock air box) with X51 headers, 200 cell cats and Fisters. Both of you guys are in a for a shocker (in a good way) when you get your car back.

My slope keeps getting slipperier......I found a X51 intake and plenum off a Cup car. They are both alum and welded together. My car is currently back at FSI getting mated with the X51 intake / plenum, carillo pistons and the heads are being ported. This should give her a little more snap I'll start a separate thread as not to hijack this when photos are available.
Very nice Pete!!

Looks like I am about to pull the trigger on the IPD and TB. That will leave the headers and cats to source. I may have all the parts before the engine even gets to LN which will make the wait so much longer

Hopefully I don't find too many other things I "need" to add.
Old 06-01-2016 | 03:09 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

A few sources, including Sharkwerks, who make substantial mods and sell many parts, and can sell headers, claim that said headers are not worth replacing and no real gains come from aftermarket headers. The stock ones flow right.

Cats are the main choke point.

Old 06-01-2016 | 03:15 PM
user 72902
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete

Bro, there is no more slope. You jumped off the cliff (in a really good way)
Old 06-01-2016 | 03:23 PM
user 72902
Banned

Originally Posted by Philster
A few sources, including Sharkwerks, who make substantial mods and sell many parts, and can sell headers, claim that said headers are not worth replacing and no real gains come from aftermarket headers. The stock ones flow right.

I added headers and would call the stock ones an exhaust manifold and not headers. They are much different in design. I have before and after dynos but there are multiple changes so there is no way to determine what the contribution of each component if any. You may be correct that headers do not offer any gain but the guy who did my dyno tune thought it was to best exhaust mod to do in terms of performance. I really don't know. I had fun installing them!
Old 06-01-2016 | 03:38 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Philster

They may be but have you seen the stock exhaust vs the headers (whether they be x51 or Fabspeed etc). Hard to believe the stock exhaust flows as well as the headers. To be honest, its hard to separate fact from fiction on many of these things whether it be headers, cats, plenums, the dual "hot" air intakes etc. Do you have something from Sharkwerks that says the headers are not worth it as I would love to read it?

However, many seem to have had good success on this combo of intake/exhaust mods and it seems like the right way to go to me to accompany the 4L bore

Bro, there is no more slope. You jumped off the cliff (in a really good way)

so true, so true
Old 06-01-2016 | 03:40 PM
vern1
Race Car

I added headers and would call the stock ones an exhaust manifold and not headers. They are much different in design. I have before and after dynos but there are multiple changes so there is no way to determine what the contribution of each component if any. You may be correct that headers do not offer any gain but the guy who did my dyno tune thought it was to best exhaust mod to do in terms of performance. I really don't know. I had fun installing them!
Got to it before I did....
Old 06-01-2016 | 06:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Not to hijack but I've heard so many great things about these Raby 4.0 engines but I find it odd i'm unable to find one video on youtube showing the performance/sound of these engines?
Old 06-01-2016 | 06:23 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Para82
Not to hijack but I've heard so many great things about these Raby 4.0 engines but I find it odd i'm unable to find one video on youtube showing the performance/sound of these engines?
I promise to post a video once I get the car back

Quick Reply: 4.0L rebuild - other things to add?