TPMS Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:00 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPMS Rant!

Here is the story:
2009 C2S I've had for about a year. Replaced original tires with winter tires, no issues. Oil change at dealer (wanted old records and see how they were) and 2 yrs remaining battery on all TPMS. Cool!

New summers now placed by different tire shop because, you know, $70 cheaper. Well of course they break the TPMS, blame it on previous tire installer. Ok, who knows, not me for sure. Anyway, they put in a new one they had on hand, $65, ok, just get it done please. "Don't worry it will reset and match up after you drive," sure, that sounds right. I drive and then drive and drive...no luck. Life gets busy and don't get around to going back for a bit.
3 weeks later I take it to a different shop recommended by the local indie and....$60 and 1.5 hours they are pretty sure it will work. Err, ok...I drive and drive and no luck, take back and they wave their magic wand and they "think they have it working". But if they don't they say just get someone else to get it to work and then bring the TPM back and get a refund.
Sigh, 3 hours total, all life sucked out of me, so FINE, just get me out of here. Anyway, now will take to dealer and pay whatever to make the glowing red ! go away.
Ok rant almost over...how complicate is this! Can no one who makes a living as a tire dealership not figure this crap out! It is a Porsche not the darn space shuttle (that I would take to the dealer every time).
Ok, beer time. Cheers.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:24 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

been there, done that, I feel your frustration. Cut my losses from the tire shop & went straight to the dealer. It may cost a little more but they got the job done right.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:28 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

MkC2s,
Hmm, that is what i was thinking so I emailed the dealer. Should I get one or 4, here is the email I got back:

"The pricing would be around $275-$300 per sensor. Unfortunately, there is no labor overlap whether we do one or multiple TPMS sensors. "

Wow, I was thinking a little more but not 3 times more. Decisions, decisions, off to search the forum and read up before i pull the trigger on $1200 TPMS and I will need/want a new set of 4 when I buy winter rims for my winter tires.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Buy Huff brand formerly Beru for about $80 each. They are the original equipment supplier to Porsche. See post #39 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13056524
Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We have it all figured out. Just call us if you need a sensor. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Use the correct Beru/Huf units and you will not have any problems.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing that will help -separate wheels for winter tires and for summer tires. Each has a set of sensors, but then the seasonal change over wont have a chance to break the sensors and you can just change the wheels at home in about an hour all told.

The problem arises because the sensors are not standardized. There are different frequencies at play and whatnot - so you need the right sensors that go with your car's system. I'm puzzled why them removing a tire broke a sensor unless they didn't know what they were doing.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

They probably installed the wrong frequency, 433 or 315 I am not sure which year switched to whatever.

Regarding going to an indy vs a dealer.... if you have been burned by your indy and if you don't mind writing big checks, then go to a dealer. Dealers are great from making things right. They are not the wizards some think they are, but in general, if you have a big wallet and don't care, the dealer is the way to go.

Regarding indys: you have to do your homework. You didn't, and you got burned. No biggie, but I found that even with the good ones, you have to pay attention and let them know what you want such as OEM vs Porsche labeled vs aftermarket parts.

It is just the way it is.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-24-2016, 04:43 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a new set of OEWheels tpms and its suck big time. It lasted for 4 months and permanently dead. I am tired of buying aftermarket that not working as advertise.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:58 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Minok-
The installer said the previous installer had used the wrong stem and the dissimilar metals had either corroded or welded themselves together so they broke when being separated. Not sure on the truth of this but broke is still broken. Yes, the one year plan is to get separate tire/wheels for summer/winter. Keep PSS on OEM wheels, Scottozeros on wheels which have yet to be determined or purchased. I have been keeping eye on used board but haven't seen anything to fit or where under $2K. Any recommendations on low/mod priced winter wheels? Must not be made in China.

Gotgolf52-
Argh, that sucks, sorry and completely understand. i think the one big problem is that my 3 OEMs are not playing well with the ones I have gotten from the tire places.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:13 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Bruce,
I have read many of your posts and learned quite a bit from them. That being said I think you misread my post, as you know you have to "to do your homework. You didn't, and you got burned. No biggie."

The indie is fine, in fact came highly recommended from folks on a forum site, rennlist! Anyway, they don't deal with tire installs so he usually sends people to where he sent me. This place tried very hard but ultimately failed. Wasted my time but I still think it is the mixed environment of old/new and likely different brands than is causing the chaos.

Anyway, surprisingly, I don't like writing big checks so I'm not keen on developing a super friendly relationship with the dealer so will limit our quality time together. I do plan to visit for my PDK maintenance as...well...that thing scares me!

Peace,
Ghost

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Regarding indys: you have to do your homework. You didn't, and you got burned. No biggie, but I found that even with the good ones, you have to pay attention and let them know what you want such as OEM vs Porsche labeled vs aftermarket parts.

It is just the way it is.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-24-2016, 05:19 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Ok,
So i ordered 4 matching TPMS from big internet tire company(see above) that was very helpful and responsive, all Huf/Beru and will have those installed ASAP and then all will be well in the world! Well that is the plan anyway, I will update when I can.

Anything magical I need to tell the tire installers to get these working? Programming, or do they simply pressure activated and then have the 911 learn them. This seems to be the process but any insight other than this is appreciated.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostcow
Ok,
So i ordered 4 matching TPMS from big internet tire company(see above) that was very helpful and responsive, all Huf/Beru and will have those installed ASAP and then all will be well in the world! Well that is the plan anyway, I will update when I can.

Anything magical I need to tell the tire installers to get these working? Programming, or do they simply pressure activated and then have the 911 learn them. This seems to be the process but any insight other than this is appreciated.
Yea, I kinda missread.... hard to have a full time internet posting job and make a buck on the side at the same time.

I just replaced my wife's Lexus TPMSs with Denso units. The market for replacing TMPSs is unbelievably massive and growing fast, globally. There should be no reason to not consider aftermarket units. The issue I found with aftermarket, particularly the Chinese knock offs, are with battery life.

How do I know this? Well I purchased some what I think were knock offs for that Lexus. The Lexus dealer wanted $180 bucks each!!!! not in stalled for my new winter tire set. I said "screw off" ... well I thought that anyway.... and off to eBay I went. I purchase four with mounting hardware for about $75... TOTAL!!!! I had to take the car to Toyota dealer for programming... no self learning in a Lexus... and they charged me about $55 to do the coding. These worked perfectly and lasted about six years. The originals that came with the '08 are still working.

This time, the Denso brand, a big player, were about $120 total.... and went in and work fine.

Competitive pressures should bring these prices for dealer-provided units down... maybe.... but when my '09 Porsche units go... I am going aftermarket. The players entering this global market are growing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 PM
ghostcow
Advanced

Bruce,
I hear you. The forum posts I have read do indicate that cheap/ebay type are "variable" in the quality of both their batteries and of their ability to consistently communicate with the car. Anyway, I'm hoping the quality sensors will pay for themselves via lack of a headache. If I'm wrong and these fail after 6 months I will scream...mainly because my wife will say "I told you to just go to the dealer." (she has no problem with me spending on safety related items like tires, TPMS and my autocross helmet, love that woman).

Sunset charges roughly $120/sensor, so $480 for 4, and then $700 in labor! Umm, and then I need 4 more for my winter wheels so....$2400! Geez, I can get a fister exhaust, bitchin' paint correction/detail, several oil changes, brake pads and services, etc!

Cheers
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I recently purchased a set of 4 Beru/Huf tpms from OE Wheels for about $325. They work perfectly! Just make sure you get the correct frequency.

Quick Reply: TPMS Rant!