Sponsored by:

997 C2S Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 AM
MEBound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 C2S Rotors

I just picked up a '08 997 C2S and at the PPI they noted that there was about 4mm left on the pads and that the rotors were close to end of life. This of course was prior to the 2300 mile drive home.

I'm planning to replace them in the next month or so, but can't decide on whether or not to stick with Porsche rotors and pads or use Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

The car doesn't get tracked, but I do drive pretty aggressively on local roads so I don't want to lose any braking performance.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I have used Parts Geek in the past for rotors and pads with great results. They carry Sebro and Zimmerman along other mfr's. Coated or non and cross drilled or slotted. Take a look here http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html Free shipping too!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My recommendations would be Sebro slotted.

Don't get cross drilled, all the holes do is collect brake dust and wear pads faster.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:08 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just overhauled my entire brake system few weeks ago for under $700. Very easy to do if you have all the right tools. I went with the ceramic brake pads which tremendously reduced brake dust but it is not ideal for track use. Be sure to check the condition of the brake fluid. I also did an alignment and replaced all Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors TPMS.

Front Rotors – Ate Coated (Left and Right) = $177.75
Rear Rotors – Zimmermann Coat Z (Left and Right) = $265.00
Front Brake Pads – TRW Ceramic pads = $37.00
Rear Brake Pads – TRW Ceramic Pads = $48.00
Brake Sensors, hardware, set screws and brake pad kit = $150.74
Alignment - Kwik Kar = $89.99
TPMS - Discount Tire = $480.00
Attached Images           
Old 05-12-2016, 04:17 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

How do you like the TRW pads?

Those prices are cheap.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:24 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
How do you like the TRW pads?

Those prices are cheap.
I like them a lot. I used to have Textar semi metallic and they would squeal really bad in slow driving conditions. I like the fact that the brake dust is greatly reduced to the point that the wheels stay pretty clean after a week of driving. It does take a bit more pressure to get the same stopping power as the Textar pads but this is a normal characteristic with ceramic pads. TRW is actually a well known brand in Europe and I got a good deal online.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I like them a lot. I used to have Textar semi metallic and they would squeal really bad in slow driving conditions. I like the fact that the brake dust is greatly reduced to the point that the wheels stay pretty clean after a week of driving. It does take a bit more pressure to get the same stopping power as the Textar pads but this is a normal characteristic with ceramic pads. TRW is actually a well known brand in Europe and I got a good deal online.
Good to know. I've run Textar and Porsche pads. The Textars squealed for me too, even with the Porsche dampers and CRC brake quiet.

I'm looking for a quiet and minimal dusting pad. Stopping power is the last of my concern for the street (within reason).
Old 05-12-2016, 05:34 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

I went with Brembo rotors and Porsche genuine pads (lots of dust):

http://murenae.com/FTP_Files/997.1-Front-Brakes.pdf

Quite happy with the result.

Yves
Old 05-12-2016, 05:37 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Stopping power is the last of my concern for the street (within reason).
For me it is the other way around: Appearance is secondary. Stopping power is paramount.

I worked around the dust by cleaning thoroughly my wheels (taken out of the car), claying them, waxing them and applying a paint sealant (Collinite 845). When they are too dirty, a simple spraying of water gives them back their original shine. The sealant protects quite well from the dust particles jettisoned by the pads.

Yves
Old 05-12-2016, 05:48 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

start checking prices at suncoast porsche and decide if you want to use porsche parts, if you use porsche parts they have a 1 yr warrantee
Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
For me it is the other way around: Appearance is secondary. Stopping power is paramount.

I worked around the dust by cleaning thoroughly my wheels (taken out of the car), claying them, waxing them and applying a paint sealant (Collinite 845). When they are too dirty, a simple spraying of water gives them back their original shine. The sealant protects quite well from the dust particles jettisoned by the pads.

Yves
Well that's a lot of work for appearances sake. However, I did just apply some old paint sealant I had in the garage on newly painted wheels. We'll see how it holds up this season. Anyway, I run PFC 08's for stopping power and feel on the track which generate a ton of dust.

On the street, I don't see the need to for aggressive pads. I'm not out braking anyone going to 7-Eleven! I'll gladly give up 20% of the stopping power of Porsche pads for 50% less dust!

By the way, I run Sebro Coated cross-drilled. I prefer slotted to try to minimize cracking but since I go through consumables quite fast, price is the determining factor for me. We'll see how they hold up to the PFC's this season. The Porsche rotors did quite well.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
I went with Brembo rotors and Porsche genuine pads (lots of dust):

http://murenae.com/FTP_Files/997.1-Front-Brakes.pdf

Quite happy with the result.

Yves
Nice write-up! Are those Brembo rotors coated? looking at the pictures they don't appear to be coated.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:50 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

FYI, the Sebro Coated also have the wear indicators on the rotor, just like the Porsche ones.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 PM
MEBound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I've still got some decisions to make but the information you guys provided will help considerably in the process.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These kits on ECS look good. They include everything needed.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-20...g/Service_Kit/

Quick Reply: 997 C2S Rotors