Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hopefully joining the club

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016 | 11:55 PM
Kmwrestle
Track Day

Default Hopefully joining the club

Hopefully by this time next week I will be a Porsche owner. I have agreed to numbers for a private sale for a 2009 C4S cabriolet with 40k miles. It is pending a PPI from a local dealership on Monday.

Anything else I should be doing? Any maintenance I should be doing?
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:29 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Warn your family that you may be afflicted with a strong case of "big stupid grin on your face"-ness for a while.

(Oh and take pics of the car, because you will need them if you intend to post an introduction later )
Old 05-12-2016 | 03:33 AM
mattyf
Pro

Originally Posted by Kmwrestle
Anything else I should be doing? Any maintenance I should be doing?
It should come with maintenance up to date. Things I would check for and do if not done would really be a brake flush (every 2 years). I'm going to assume oil changes are up to date. Other things that owners sometime skimp on is tires, either putting crappy ones on, mismatching tires or N types, or even just letting them get so old they crack. You can check date codes on the sidewalls to see how old they are. PPI should tell you tread depths. Rears can be corded but still show plenty of tread on outside edge, so make sure and look.

Depending on how driven, 40k miles is getting up there for the front rotors, my guess is there still life left, check for min thickness (ppi should do that) and or cracks from hard use.

Other things to do... clear out a nice space in the garage for her to sleep. Get a battery tender if not a daily driver. Get some nice detailing products as you're not going to want the local $15 car wash rubbing dirt swirls into your paint.

Practice getting in and out without scuffing your heels on the door jams. They irreparably scuff and look ugly if you're not careful.

Practice being a benevolent driver, you'll be representing us all out there soon.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:20 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Also.. probably a good idea to get clear corners on the way from suncoast if the car doesnt already have them. I was thankful mine were already at the house waiting when I got the car home as the amber corners didn't work with the car color at all and looked yucky.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:33 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

If this is your first 911, be aware that you might break out into giggles at random and sometimes inappropriate place while thinking about great times you've been having in the car.

Look up some of the mod threads to make a list of personalization options to consider...but most of all Congratulations & Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2016 | 09:06 PM
Kmwrestle
Track Day

So the PPI inspection is on Monday. I am starting to get some buyers remorse that I am overpaying. It is a private sale 3 owner car.

It is an 09 C4S cabriolet in triple black
Bose
Manual
Nav
Bluetooth
Standard leather
Sports chrono
Msrp 111,870

Tires were in good shape and Bridgestone Potenzas

The bad:
Small scuff on corner of rear bumper on pass side
Some small Scratxhes (40k car that was driven)
And the convertible top shows some signs of wear. No holes or anything just some areas that look worn and have what looks like sweater pilling

It was bought CPO by the 2nd owner and the warranty expired in Dec 2015

The third owner bought the car from a Lexus dealer of the biggest dealer group in the state.

What should I be paying for this? Want to see if I'm overpaying? Thanks
Old 05-14-2016 | 10:10 PM
nikd
Intermediate

So the PPI inspection is on Monday. I am starting to get some buyers remorse that I am overpaying. It is a private sale 3 owner car.

Bose
Manual
Nav
Bluetooth
Standard leather
Sports chrono
Msrp 111,870

The bad:
And the convertible top shows some signs of wear. No holes or anything just some areas that look worn and have what looks like sweater pilling

The third owner bought the car from a Lexus dealer of the biggest dealer group in the state.

I would think 47-49 is fair.. That's what I would offer if it was a coupe.. Not so sure on convertible prices.
Old 05-14-2016 | 10:40 PM
nk215
Instructor

Originally Posted by nikd
I would think 47-49 is fair.. That's what I would offer if it was a coupe.. Not so sure on convertible prices.
that car is in the low to mid 50 range from a private seller. For dealer it'll in the upper 50.
Old 05-14-2016 | 10:51 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Bose
Manual
Nav
Bluetooth
Standard leather
Sports chrono
Msrp 111,870

The bad:

So just say no....no harm, no foul.
Old 05-14-2016 | 11:00 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Don't go into this with any regrets or worries. You want to be 110% focused on driving & having fun when behind the wheel, not worrying about every noise or whine. I hope it works out for you. If so, be prepared to memorize the following phrase "Why the heck did I wait so long to buy one of these?"
Good luck in the hunt!
T
Old 05-14-2016 | 11:06 PM
Kmwrestle
Track Day

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
So just say no....no harm, no foul.
I think I'm just thinking too much into it....I work for a dealership and with a "normal" car I appraise them every day I know exactly what they are worth and which ones I should buy. i think its hard for me to separate me as the car dealership guy and me as the customer when it comes to price....as a customer I want a Porsche so it is easy to overpay...as a car dealership guy it is easy to never get one cuz you'll never find a good enough deal
Old 05-14-2016 | 11:22 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

I think I'm just thinking too much into it....I work for a dealership and with a "normal" car I appraise them every day I know exactly what they are worth and which ones I should buy. i think its hard for me to separate me as the car dealership guy and me as the customer when it comes to price....as a customer I want a Porsche so it is easy to overpay...as a car dealership guy it is easy to never get one cuz you'll never find a good enough deal
Be comfortable with your decision whatever it is, if it's not right, the next one will be around the corner. You have a bunch of people here that will answer just about any question. When you take the plunge, we will cheer for you!
Old 05-14-2016 | 11:28 PM
Kmwrestle
Track Day

Once I buy it I will be fine....its just the second guessing that is getting me haha.

sounds like low to mid 50's would be a good price considering the condition and options?

Quick Reply: Hopefully joining the club