Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First (and last) experience with Hendrick Southpoint Porsche in Durham

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you think Porsche is bad, don't ever buy a Maserati.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The second any car goes out of factory warranty (includes CPO) I quit taking it to a dealer for service. For one thing their labor rate is significantly higher, and for another I can't stand talking to "service advisors" none of whom have ever held a wrench and are merely talking out their behinds based on a few training classes they were forced to attend.

That said, if I know I'm due a discount for some reason, and it doesn't show on the invoice, I always ask for it.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:40 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you were treated that bad at all. Should the dealer ask if you're a PCM member? Sure. But like all businesses they are in business to make money. It's ok to ask for the discount in case it's forgotten. On purpose or not. If you don't ask them it's not fair to bash them later after the fact.

I have had issues with my local dealer but most of it is minor when you look at it after the fact. Last time I was there I was treated very well and felt good about being there. Last service work, wheel alignment, was done quickly and was told upfront the pricing.

Don't always agree with the price for the work, but instead of bashing them I just find another shop that's capable. I get your view point, but I don't think it's worth the aggravation that you seem to have from the visit. We are only talking TPMS sensors.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Did they refuse PCA discount or just not offer it? I generally have to ask to make sure I get the discount - I don't depend on them looking at the decal on my windshield.
+1

Talk about an overreaction, I find absolutely nothing wrong with your experience.

I'm also not surprised they don't want to disable the system, why should they? Next ask them to shut off an ABS warning light or better yet, take out the dash pod and put black tape over the check engine light.

Frankly I see your post as a positive endorsement of this dealership. They could have played the game that your sensors must be replaced now as a safety issue and charged you full retail for the Porsche units. Even then.....still not doing anything dishonest since broken sensors can be considered a safety issue and nothing wrong with a dealership installing only OEM parts...... but in your case they went out of their way to do what was in your best interest, and you complain about it.

What people get worked up over is mind blowing.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:45 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Well, I feel personally responsible for your bad experience because I have been singing Southpointe's praises since I first went there a couple of years ago. I have spoken to Clay on several occasions (I don't believe that he is the service manager--I believe that Theresa Kramer is) and have found him to be very friendly.
Iceter,

I appreciate your honesty and I am pleased that you had good services from Porsche Southpointe. It is good to hear people being happy from a Dealer. And yes, your praises fooled me into visiting them.....but that is okay. I learned my lesson. By the way, Theresa reviewed this thread and sent me some "commercial" apologies. She is a fine lady and trying to do her job in the best possible way.

Typically I do everything myself on a car and was stuck this time because of the electronics and programming of modern cars. As I mentioned I will keep shopping for parts, with my good friends from Leith Cary Autopark and do all the maintenance myself, as usual.

While I was visiting Porsche Southpointe, there was another gentleman having the battery on his 2005 Cayenne, replaced. He was freaking in anticipation about the bill ($500-600). I felt sorry for him as there is nothing easier to do than replacing a battery on a (non-BMW) vehicle while maintaining the status of the electronic components.

It is the nature of the beast and Porsche (and its dealers) needs all the money they can get to feed the US Lawyers and Government for the VW TDI scandal ($42B as of now).

Yves
Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
And yes, your praises fooled me into visiting them...
Ouch!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:15 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 127 Posts

I wouldn't condemn a dealership for that at all. 1hr minimum is pretty standard. You can always mention it was only 35min and ask if they will adjust their price. There is no harm in asking and the worst they can do is say no and explain their policy. As for the PCA discount my dealer never "offers" it, I always have to remind them. I don't expect them to remember that I am a PCA member. As for the guy yawning, yea maybe not what I would want from my employee as a business owner, but maybe he was up all night with a sick kid, who knows? I would cut him a little slack.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:35 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

I'll chime in and say that I too, am sorry you had a bad experience at Southpoint. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and it's reflective of their experience(s). From my perspective, they have been nothing but gracious and fair in my limited dealings with them. I thought Clay treated me very well and Theresa was even better. No wait Clay was better. No Theresa was better. Well, you get the idea. And don't even get me started on Phil (Big "Cheese" in sales) and Jason. They listened and put up with more crap from me while I was trying to find a car, and never made me feel pressured, or bad, even when I bought from out of state (only because they didn't have a "fit" for my 4 wheel wants). They've always made me feel welcome, whether at an event or just stopping by. When I needed some parts, they "adjusted" their price when it was warranted. They did extend a PCA discount, when I politely asked. So, needless to say, my experiences have been much better.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yves, Im big on customer service. What happened to you will get same reaction from me. BUT I always ask for me PCA membership discount..and Im not shy about it. That service manager needs some refresher training on his dealings.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As an additional data point, in my dealings there I have only dealt with Jon, the other SA, and he noticed my PCA sticker on my windshield the first time I came in. Every quote he has provided he has reminded me there will be a PCA discount on top of the Retail price he is providing me.

I also think he mentioned it is already programmed into my profile so he can remember that.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Yves, you should go back there and give them another shot and not be to "****" about the past experience and see how it goes. Tell them how you felt. Bet it will be different. You can read into everything all the time. Like emails or my use of ****. Not being mean, rude or a jerk. It's easy to take it wrong. Depending on how you feel at that time.

Sleep on it and go back and next time it should he different. 😊

Quick Reply: First (and last) experience with Hendrick Southpoint Porsche in Durham