Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   DIY and Review - Function First Transmission Mount Insert for 997.2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/930413-diy-and-review-function-first-transmission-mount-insert-for-997-2-a.html)

Chowbow 05-09-2016 02:20 PM

I did this a few months back, got the soft inserts as it's my daily driver. Honestly, I felt no difference at all. 45k miles, manual, original engine mounts. I probably would have bought a stiffer one if I were to do it again. I'm sure engine mounts will make a big difference, will probably do that next.

EMC2 05-11-2016 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chowbow (Post 13271858)
I did this a few months back, got the soft inserts as it's my daily driver. Honestly, I felt no difference at all. 45k miles, manual, original engine mounts. I probably would have bought a stiffer one if I were to do it again. I'm sure engine mounts will make a big difference, will probably do that next.

Do you have a manual, Tip or PDK, and what year?

Chowbow 05-11-2016 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by EMC2 (Post 13279869)
Do you have a manual, Tip or PDK, and what year?

2009, manual, 4S.

EMC2 05-11-2016 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chowbow (Post 13280067)
2009, manual, 4S.

Same year as me, but 25k less miles which could explain the difference.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the effect would be more noticeable on a PDK due to the shifting speed in Sport Plus mode.
Just a theory for now, so we'll have to wait for more PDK owners to comment after doing the mod.

Chowbow 05-11-2016 11:02 PM

Yeah could be. It's not a bad mod per se, if anything it'll be good for peace of mind for longevity of that bushing.

ebackes 09-03-2016 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by EMC2 (Post 13220893)
The DIY (attached) from the FF website is very helpful but there are 2 really important differences for the 997.2 PDK that need to be noted.

- There is only a single Torx Bolt through the mount (not 2)
- This bolt has a Torque spec of 63ft libs
- You will need 20mm and 24mm Torx sockets for this

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but does anybody know if the 997.2 manual transmission also has those torx bolts? I would assume the transmission mount would be the same for both, right?

My inserts are on their way, and it would be nice to know before I get under the car.

kk2 09-04-2016 07:51 AM

Yes you need an e20 and e24 socket

HenryPcar 05-24-2018 03:57 AM

Subscribed

Petza914 10-13-2019 05:39 PM

I'm thinking about doing the orange versions of these. I get an occasional clunk noise when releasing the clutch pedal and figured it might be from worn trans mounts. I bought some new bushings and was going to press out the old ones and press in the new ones, but didn't realize that the bushings were actually in the transmission housing itself and not in somwthing that was easily removable from the car where I could take it to my hydraulic press.

Trying to do it in the car is either a bigger project and/or requires a special tool to remove the bushing, which is more than I want to tackle, and why I'm now looking at these FF inserts.

Looking at these pictures of my current bushing, does the clunk I'm sometimes hearing seem like it could be because of that or something else (maybe rear strut mount)? Seems like my bushing is relaxed, but not really damaged so I'm leaning toward the latter, but am thinking these inserts would help prolong the life of the current, original bushing and add some rigidity.

When looking at this the other day, item #3 in the diagram, called an end stop, mine are what looked like old and brittle foam rubber and fell apart when I touched them.

What do you guys think?

​​​​​

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...940ae72bae.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8f244f74c8.jpg

EMC2 10-13-2019 07:14 PM

Petza
When you release the clutch there could be some excessive twisting of the driveline if the OEM mount is weak, and this combined with the disintegrating end-stops, might be allowing some metal on metal contact.
I'm assuming the end stops are also for NVH purposes, and that if yours are crumbling it could explain the clunk being allowed to happen as the twisting force occurs.

Nevertheless this is one of those DIY's that I would do again in a heartbeat:
1) very easy to do
2) will definitely improve shifting feel/responsiveness
3) will prolong the life of OEM mount
4) may fix your clunk problem, but even if it doesn't you still end up better off. :thumbup:

Petza914 10-13-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by EMC2 (Post 16165768)
Petza
When you release the clutch there could be some excessive twisting of the driveline if the OEM mount is weak, and this combined with the disintegrating end-stops, might be allowing some metal on metal contact.
I'm assuming the end stops are also for NVH purposes, and that if yours are crumbling it could explain the clunk being allowed to happen as the twisting force occurs.

Nevertheless this is one of those DIY's that I would do again in a heartbeat:
1) very easy to do
2) will definitely improve shifting feel/responsiveness
3) will prolong the life of OEM mount
4) may fix your clunk problem, but even if it doesn't you still end up better off. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input. I'm going to order up the soft orange ones while I'm doing some work under there.

Found my front left sway bar mounting bolt had loosened up too - weird.

Good to put these things up in the air every once in a while to check things out.

HenryPcar 10-13-2019 09:18 PM

Changing transmission mount is easy on 997.1 with the AGA tool. If yours is a 997.2, then the only way to change the transmission mount is remove the transmission and use a special tool to press the mount out. On my 997.2, had I known the mount needed replacing, I would have had it done while the transmission was out for a clutch job.

doclouie 10-13-2019 09:56 PM

I have the orange ones in hand for when I do my clutch job between now and Christmas on my 997.2. I will report back how they worked out.

HenryPcar 10-13-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 16166031)
I have the orange ones in hand for when I do my clutch job between now and Christmas on my 997.2. I will report back how they worked out.

Report back after you installed the orange insert. I went that route, but had to remove the insert later due to the excessive NVH.

IXXI TT 10-13-2019 10:55 PM

Here's the part # for anyone looking to just swap out their stops on a 997.2 turbo PDK.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a9968ab9c5.jpg