2011 997.2 GTS PSE: Exhaust Resonator question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 997.2 GTS PSE: Exhaust Resonator question

Guys,
Almost done with my 2011 997.2 GTS project (Will be uploading the pictures soon), but now my mechanic just told me that I need new exhaust resonators (left and right - they are the bulky pieces which are located by the rear bumpers, and connected to the PSE exhaust tips). Do you have any good recomendation for a good pair but I would like to keep using the PSE tips? Also if you know someone interesting in sale their used ones, please let me know.
Cheers,
T.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
Guys,
Almost done with my 2011 997.2 GTS project (Will be uploading the pictures soon), but now my mechanic just told me that I need new exhaust resonators (left and right - they are the bulky pieces which are located by the rear bumpers, and connected to the PSE exhaust tips). Do you have any good recomendation for a good pair but I would like to keep using the PSE tips? Also if you know someone interesting in sale their used ones, please let me know.
Cheers,
T.
#7 in the schematic? These last forever - did he say why you need new ones?

https://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/pa...iagram=6933615
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Yes, that's exactly what I need. Thanks so much for the information.
The reason why is because when we look to the rear PSE exhaust tips, they are not well aligned. With more research we found that the pipe which connects the resonator with the exhaust tips is bended. Not really a big thing, but I want to fixed. The car already have 38K miles, it's a CPO one...so why not to replace that part with a new or a newer one.
Cheers,
T.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:16 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 357 Posts

New PSE side mufflers are really expensive. I would be surprised if the can outlets were bent. Is your mechanic experienced in Porsche 911s? If not I wouldn't trust he has this right.

I would suggest three things before forking out the big money for a new PSE muffler ($1115 retail):

1) The tips themselves are fairly adjustable, just loosen them a bit at the collar where they attach and move them around. If that doesn't seem to be working, I would suggest removing the tips and looking to see where the pipes sit in the opening. They should be roughly in the same place on both sides allowing the adjustment at the collar to take car of any fine adjustment. They can be a little hard to slip back on though once off. See the attached image below with the factory alignment specs.

If this doesn't get you there, then:

2) The most common reason #1 doesn't work is that one or both of the engine mounts are worn out and sagging. In most cases the sag is greater on one side than the other. If the misalignment is mostly vertical and downwards I would guess that the mounts are your problem (and they are far cheaper than a new muffler). If you've removed the tips as in step 1 above, you can look to see if one side is too low and if so I would give you 98% odds this is a bad motor mount. If the car has more than 40k miles then this is even more likely. With 38k miles this isn't unlikely with your car. Replace both at the same time regardless of whether just one is sagging.

If you are handy with tools you can replace them yourself using a recent do-it-yourself in this forum. If you need advice beyond that I might be able to help since I recently did this myself when I noticed my left side exhaust tips were moving downwards over time.

3) If the can outlets are truly bent (again I doubt this), then a real muffler shop could probably bend them back for cheap (at least for way less than $1115!). You'd need to show them the muffler position on the car so they could see how far off they are and in what direction.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I just remembered that you said your mechanic said both pipes are bent. Since it is a CPO we know that it hasn't been in any significant accident that would have bent both of your tail pipes. The chances of both being bent are almost nil. I think your mechanic is wrong. His diagnosis just doesn't make sense.

And by the way, finding used PSE cans is tough and even then they are still expensive. You would be looking at $2230 retail price for two new ones. Go through the steps I've described in my post above and I think you'll save a lot of money.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Hi StoneRune,

Thanks so much for such detailed explanation. Based on your recommendation I will replace the engine mounts (which were not replaced during the 40K miles service performed a month ago at the dealership). The car is already at the shop, and the rear bumper is already removed so I will request to my mechanics to replace those parts. Do you have the part numbers for the 997.2 GTS? Or which ones I should buy (OEM or aftermarket).

My mechanics are really good, and they don't allow me to spend more than dollars that I should really do...but when they told me the right resonator downpipe is bended, and have to be replaced, is when I decided to raise my hand here. But following your recommendation again (twice already) I will suggest to please fixed it a muffler shop. If won't be possible, I will have to buy them.

Something else: What additional kind of additional "replacement" work I should be performing in my car which has almost 5 years and 38K miles (like the engine mounts) and are not performed during the 40K miles service. Example: shock strut absorber coil spring?

Thanks again,
T.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 158 Posts

They are telling you that this part right here (circled in red) is 'bent'?
If that's true I cannot imagine what force would need to have been applied to do that which would also not have affected other parts on the car. So, I think they are mistaken.

My advice is to simply adjust the tips as suggested above. It's just a torx bolt that needs to be loosened (circled in yellow). Try that first. I also doubt it's the motor mounts. Can you send us a picture of the area on your car?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I strongly agree with nwGTS that I wouldn't leap to replacing the motor mounts until you try the tips alignment by loosening the bolt as shown in nwGTS's picture and moving them to use the measurements from the diagram above. I know that many of us have had to replace motor mounts in the 40-50 mile range but it certainly isn't something we all need that early. I think my heavy foot and Texas heat may have caused mine to wear out earlier. They would be money wasted at this time if they aren't the problem.

If motor mounts do become a necessity, the OEM part numbers are easy to find. Please verify these independently, but the OEM motor mounts appear to be parts 99137504901 and 99137504902. Again, don't trust me to have these right.

I have aftermarket motor mounts that are much firmer, but you have to understand that you get a lot more mechanical noise and vibrations in the cockpit if you do this. I am considering changing mine back to OEM before I sell the car so as not to scare off potential buyers. You have to be a hard-core performance enthusiast to be accept the extra noises. They certainly do make a difference in handling though.

Hi StoneRune,

Thanks so much for such detailed explanation. Based on your recommendation I will replace the engine mounts (which were not replaced during the 40K miles service performed a month ago at the dealership). The car is already at the shop, and the rear bumper is already removed so I will request to my mechanics to replace those parts. Do you have the part numbers for the 997.2 GTS? Or which ones I should buy (OEM or aftermarket).

My mechanics are really good, and they don't allow me to spend more than dollars that I should really do...but when they told me the right resonator downpipe is bended, and have to be replaced, is when I decided to raise my hand here. But following your recommendation again (twice already) I will suggest to please fixed it a muffler shop. If won't be possible, I will have to buy them.

Something else: What additional kind of additional "replacement" work I should be performing in my car which has almost 5 years and 38K miles (like the engine mounts) and are not performed during the 40K miles service. Example: shock strut absorber coil spring?

Thanks again,
T.
Originally Posted by nwGTS
They are telling you that this part right here (circled in red) is 'bent'?
If that's true I cannot imagine what force would need to have been applied to do that which would also not have affected other parts on the car. So, I think they are mistaken.

My advice is to simply adjust the tips as suggested above. It's just a torx bolt that needs to be loosened (circled in yellow). Try that first. I also doubt it's the motor mounts. Can you send us a picture of the area on your car?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Hi nwGTS,

I'm also in the Chicagoland area. That's exactly the part that I was referring before. Definitely I will try with the adjustment first, but I will also replace the engine mounts due the 5 Yrs and 38K miles. Could you please tell me what kind of front bumper lip did you installed in your car?

Something else about my car...I purchased a month ago from a private party, and still CPO until 07/17. The car is white exterior with black leather/ alcantara interior. Below you can find the specs:

250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
342 Heated Seats (Front)
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
603 Dynamic Cornering Light
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Navigation Module for PCM 3.0
680 BOSE® Surround Sound System
686 XM® Radio
TOS Headlamp Cleaning System Cover Painted in Deviating Exterior Color
CMH Door Finishers in Black
CMJ Decorative Trim on Gear/PDK Lever in Black
CMM Trim Strip Switch Panel in Black
CMP Instrument Surround in Black
P01 Adaptive Sports Seats
P17 Sports Suspension (-20 mm) Including Mechanical Rear Differential Lock
XSC Porsche Crest Embossed on Headrests
XXG Rear Lights in Clear Glass Optics
Plus rear Aerokit installed by the dealership back in 2011, when the car was offered for sale.

Cheers,
T.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 158 Posts

Hi nwGTS,

I'm also in the Chicagoland area. That's exactly the part that I was referring before. Definitely I will try with the adjustment first, but I will also replace the engine mounts due the 5 Yrs and 38K miles. Could you please tell me what kind of front bumper lip did you installed in your car?
Welcome. Hope to see you out there. My car has the OEM front aerokit bumper cover and the OEM front aerokit spoiler lip.
Edit: My car has the above parts on it currently. Though, if you are referring to my avatar, the spoiler lip in that picture is the OEM aerokit bumper cover but still the OEM GTS spoiler lip.

Any other OT question feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:53 PM
mblueracer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When mounting back the PSE tips (double flow) do not forget to add strong threadlocker. Tips vibrate quite a lot and I lost 1 PSE tip on the road after loosing a screw getting loose... It was cheaper to buy new GTS tips (the pair, satin black and chrome) from Suncoast than replacing just 1 OEM (silver grey and flat black) from Porsche dealer. For now I have a custom combo satin black and flat black (because lazy to clean chrome exhaust tips regularly).
Old 04-14-2016, 04:46 PM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Thank you guys for all your recommendations and answers to my questions. I will try to avoid the 997-111-311-31/ 312-31 replacement which cost $ 640 each plus S/H. The engine mounts 997-375-049-08 at $500 both is something that I will do now since the car is already at the shop, same for the OEM front bumper Aerokit lip.
Cheers,
T.

Quick Reply: 2011 997.2 GTS PSE: Exhaust Resonator question