Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have you found the 6MT fairly easy to lauch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016 | 07:12 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Default have you found the 6MT fairly easy to lauch?

I come from cars that have no or little torque down low. Recently owned an e46 M3 6MT, 350z 6mt. Driven the s2000 and NSX a lot. Also time in 360 modena, E92 M3, etc.... I won't go over the autos in the AMG and other cars, as this is related to MANUAL cars. The s2000 they say to get it to like 5000 and drop the clutch. I could NEVER do that based on fear of seeing a trail of nuts and bolts. I just never had the nerve. Also would never do that in my M3. For some reason the M was a little tricky to launch as well. I was running 285 rear tires and the car has LSD and I got the back end out several times, while launching in a straight line.

The 911 seems like probably the easiest car I have ever owned to launch. The slightly notching shifting actually seems like a benefit when shifting fast, as it feels more engaged and mechanical than the somewhat rubbery feel of my M3.

Perhaps the biggest contributor is the rear drive with rear engine? I was behind my brother in his 991S PDK, and he took off and I was right there. It was one of the best take offs I have ever done and it felt so easy and natural.

I know that the 911 isn't built to be a drag car, but for some reason it sure feels to me like it is the easiest car I have driven (manual) to launch.
Old 04-07-2016 | 11:30 PM
Para82
Race Car

If I remember correctly the 997.1 Carrera S pulls a 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds with a manual trans, I even remember one publication recording a 3.9 second 0-60. That was over 11 years ago. Still a high performer even today. It's the top end of the 997 that impresses me though - it pulls hard all the way up to 150mph, that I have tested - haven't had it any higher myself.

The PDK launches i've heard are a lot better.
Old 04-08-2016 | 01:03 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
If I remember correctly the 997.1 Carrera S pulls a 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds with a manual trans, I even remember one publication recording a 3.9 second 0-60. That was over 11 years ago. Still a high performer even today. It's the top end of the 997 that impresses me though - it pulls hard all the way up to 150mph, that I have tested - haven't had it any higher myself.

The PDK launches i've heard are a lot better.
4.3 was claimed IIRC. Road and Track did the 3.9. Couldn't believe the time and went to have it dyno'd to make sure they didn't get some one off media car, sure enough, everything checked out. I remember at least 2 other 4.0 times. Thats pretty good by todays standards for a "not a drag car" let alone 11 years ago. Regarding the PDK, not sure how it launches, never driven a 997.2 PDK, but I do know that for whatever reason the 60 times were pretty much exact 3.9-4.0 and 4.1 with the 997.2 C2S with PDK. Not sure how they were so close, the 1/4 mile trap speed is a different story tho. The other weird thing to me is that there was a published 2005 or 06 997.1 BASE that was a 4.0 or 4.1, and a very similar time published for a 997.2 base. I'd think there would be a bigger difference. I guess if a 997.2 C2S comes to a light against a 997.1 Base, the .2 better not flinch or it may be a bit surprised (or be prepared to take the race to above 100mph).

My guess is that a guy like Randy Pobst in a base 997.1 would smoke any of us in a 997.2 GTS on a road coarse and might even be willing to bet he would win even if going against a 997 GT3. After racing Karts the past few years, you realize that a lot of guys that think they are fast in Road cars, aren't as good of drivers as they think they are and tend to rely on the power/money/equipment than actual driving. Some of the porsche and ferrari drivers are the worst ones out there. Once they realize that it is tough to "buy" a win, many of them quit.
Old 04-08-2016 | 08:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Do any of your posts have a point?

Also I don't think it's necessary to include the cars you've formerly owned and that your race go karts in every single post. Kthxbye
Old 04-08-2016 | 08:24 AM
DB's997
Racer

Ouch!
Old 04-08-2016 | 08:29 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Most people are worse drivers than they think they are: Rich, poor and everyone in between.

It's tiresome to hear people talk about Ferrari and Porsche drivers as the worst. It's just that the equipment is much more lethal and they are going to try to use that equipment at higher speeds, etc.

So, in short, try to not simultaneously brag AND take shots at Porsche drivers. I'd argue that Porsche drivers have a higher percentage of people who actually take an interest in safe driving, performance driving, etc.

Yeah, rodH, you are able to effectively launch your 997 because you have a rear engine car with a very short first gear, fat tires and lots of traction.

Old 04-08-2016 | 08:33 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Do any of your posts have a point?

Also I don't think it's necessary to include the cars you've formerly owned and that your race go karts in every single post. Kthxbye
Um, ok. I come here for an escape from the daily work stresses and BS's of life, as cars are my passion and the 911 is my dream car.

Somehow I have ruffled some feathers on the Internet for the first time in my life, I guess I am out

Last edited by rodH; 04-08-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2016 | 08:43 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philster
Most people are worse drivers than they think they are: Rich, poor and everyone in between.

It's tiresome to hear people talk about Ferrari and Porsche drivers as the worst. It's just that the equipment is much more lethal and they are going to try to use that equipment at higher speeds, etc.

So, in short, try to not simultaneously brag AND take shots at Porsche drivers. I'd argue that Porsche drivers have a higher percentage of people who actually take an interest in safe driving, performance driving, etc.

Yeah, rodH, you are able to effectively launch your 997 because you have a rear engine car with a very short first gear, fat tires and lots of traction.

Wow, wasn't really taking a direct "shot" at anyone. Infact I am willing to bet Porsche drivers as a whole are probably amoung the best drivers out the because the car is what it is.

Never had so many "friendly" replies on a car forum before. Guess I just need to lurk and shut the hell up. Sorry to interupt your place guys, and honestly didn't know intend to insult anyone or degrade anything.

For any moderators out there. If I broke any rules, go ahead and ban me from the site and delete all my posts, I apologize.
Old 04-08-2016 | 09:45 AM
DB's997
Racer

I learned long ago that you have to have really thick skin when you post on these forums. Some will literally attack you because of what you write. Don't take offense, live and learn.
Old 04-08-2016 | 09:58 AM
JCGMS
Instructor

Rod, I'm curious to hear about your launch technique as someone who's always trying to tweak and also scared of leaving a trail of nuts and bolts.
Old 04-08-2016 | 10:00 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DB's997
And acting all touchy feely hurty ain't helping.
Old 04-08-2016 | 10:04 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

That is just quadcammer. He is often funny, always mean. LOL
Old 04-08-2016 | 10:11 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DB's997
I learned long ago that you have to have really thick skin when you post on these forums. Some will literally attack you because of what you write. Don't take offense, live and learn.
Been on the Internet a long time and spent a lot of time on car sites (related to the cars I use to own, won't mention which ones as i might ruffle some feathers) never had this many complaints and on a more "enthusiast" car site, is frankly a little surprising.

After doing a little research with certain contributors, I kind of see an obvious pattern and a weird sort of irony.
Old 04-08-2016 | 10:16 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
And acting all touchy feely hurty ain't helping.
Ya, for some reason I guess this site responds better to a Trump sort of attitude than a Reagan one (which I wouldn't expect). Probably has to do a little with age and being accustomed to talking **** over a keyboard than back in my day where that kind of attitude gets your *** kicked. Might also have to do with little man syndrome, being under daddies wing or a big fish in a little pond and lots of insecurities.
Old 04-08-2016 | 10:18 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
That is just quadcammer. He is RARELY funny, always mean. LOL
Corrected

Quick Reply: have you found the 6MT fairly easy to lauch?