Water pump hose is ripped?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water pump hose is ripped?

hi, all.

While my shop was performing wheel alignment, they found this ripped hose. What is this hose? I think it is water pump hose, is it correct?

And could you guys give me any opinion about how urgent to fix this hose and how much would it be?
I have no idea what caused this...

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hose runs about $40. Labor shouldn't be too bad , my guess would be couple hours at best. A flush and refill with fresh coolant could add a few hundres dollars to the job but would be advisable if you're still running with the original fill. All in the total cost would be significantly still cheaper than a hose failure while you were driving.
A catastrophic coolant loss due to failure of this hose can be detrimental to your engines health and cause a dangerous coolant slick on the road for you and other drivers behind you.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Do not think it is ripped or torn. It is probably suffering from some kind of a split in that the hose swells when the coolant is hot and the engine if off and the cooling system pressure can build. This is when cooling system components are stressed the most.

I never like to play Russian Roulette with the engine and its vital cooling system so my advice would be to get the car in and get that hose replaced, along with any others that show signs of distress, which will probably be none as I think this hose is just manifesting a premature failure.

Barring a failure like the hose in the picture is undergoing my experience Porsche with coolant hoses is they are pretty long lived. (>300K miles on the original hoses in my 2002 Boxster, > 142K miles on the original hoses in my 2003 996 Turbo.)

About the only thing I do to help promote coolant hose longevity and other cooling system component longevity is to have the coolant drained and replaced with fresh every 4 to 5 years.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Good catch! That could have been catastrophic.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:41 AM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I would get that replace ASAP. Makes me want to get mine checked.

Quick Reply: Water pump hose is ripped?