Sponsored by:

Reduced engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:00 PM
FAB911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced engine power

Not the way I wanted to introduce myself to the forum.
I am a relatively new owner of a 2009 997.2 C2 purchased in 10-15. I had a chance to enjoy the car for about six weeks before I put it away for the New England winter. I prepped the car as recommended by the forum posts full gas tank, fuel stabilizer, increased tire pressure, battery tender etc. As temperatures started to rise I began my mods, lowering springs, center cross pipe and gundo hack. Everything went well until I started the car and the dreaded reduced engine power light came on. I searched the forums and the HPFP seemed like the possible culprit, although the battery was also mentioned.
What I'm wondering is could the center cross pipe and muffler mod cause the reduced engine power problem? I have only started the car and have not driven it.
Before I bring the car to be looked at does anybody think disconnecting the battery to reset the CEL would help/hurt?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No exhaust mod from the cats back will cause that problem.

How was your battery tender set up and removed? I've seen people do some stange-as$ stuff with battery chargers....

Personally, I've had success with temporarily disconnecting the battery in many cars, and it's even a way to get the 997 fuel gauge recalibrated (with other steps), so it won't hurt anything, provided you do it right. Black comes off first and goes on last.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my .1S I have gotten a warning and then 'reduced power' while driving with bad coil packs in the wet. Engine was missing very badly, I think one bank was shut down. How is the motor running regardless of light?
Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM
FAB911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.
In the short time I had it running if memory serves it had difficulty revving past 4000 rpm, reduced power. Interesting about wet coil paks the other day there was a damp spot on the garage floor at the a-pillar of the door I took it to be condensation. I'm going to wait for some sunny warm weather to dry things out maybe disconnect the battery and give it another try. If that doesn't work off to the shop to look for codes.

Quick Reply: Reduced engine power