Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1350 to powder coat your calipers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:05 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default $1350 to powder coat your calipers???

I just saw someone posted somewhere else a guy paid $1350 to have his calipers powder coated....

This seems very high. I'm considering having mine repainted, though not powder coated. I know the rattle can paint from Suncoast which includes the decals is $25.

What is a reasonable level of effort for an indy to charge to remove the calipers, repaint them and re-apply the decal?

Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:06 PM
gopirates
Racer

And no, I'm not painting mine red. I actually want them gloss black.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Email me. I painted mine about a year ago. I'll tell you all about it.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 PM
soze
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:37 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Just be aware that most shops that will remove and disassemble the calipers are not going to be the same shops that paint them. So you'll pay a markup for the paint if you just bring it to an indy mech.

And think about the labor involved here. Your car will take up a bay for awhile unless it's out on the lot on jackstands. They need to bleed the whole system and replace fluid, and they need to disassemble your calipers. A bleed alone is a few hundred bucks. I think that most of the cost here would be in removing and reinstalling the calipers over the PC or painting them.

I had a similar issue with a shop downtown here in Chicago when they quoted some work for me. I found that over half of it was outsourced to other shops in the area that specialized in services this shop couldn't (or wouldn't ) do.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

We remove the calipers, paint them, and reinstall them all in house.

We are significantly cheaper than that offer.

PM if you'd like more information on it!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 03-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Santi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used an outfit in NJ called NeedPowderCoating for the Brembos on my evo, I went to black as well on them. It was a lot less than that number. They rebuilt them in house.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
gopirates
Racer

I talked to my Indy last year about repainting them and they recommended doing it when we do a fluid flush on the brakes when I do my major to kill two birds with one stone. We never finalized pricing, though I saw someone post they paid $1350 and was floored...
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

you can paint them yourself you know

$20 for paint and decal. I did this with my 993 and no one was the wiser. Sure if you took the rims off and peered around behind the caliper (cause everyone does that ) you would notice but otherwise imperceptible to others. And you can do it in your driveway
Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
you can paint them yourself you know $20 for paint and decal. I did this with my 993 and no one was the wiser. Sure if you took the rims off and peered around behind the caliper (cause everyone does that ) you would notice but otherwise imperceptible to others. And you can do it in your driveway
Yup, I did it on my first e46 m3 and it was quite easy.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:38 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Just be aware that most shops that will remove and disassemble the calipers are not going to be the same shops that paint them. So you'll pay a markup for the paint if you just bring it to an indy mech.

And think about the labor involved here. Your car will take up a bay for awhile unless it's out on the lot on jackstands. They need to bleed the whole system and replace fluid, and they need to disassemble your calipers. A bleed alone is a few hundred bucks. I think that most of the cost here would be in removing and reinstalling the calipers over the PC or painting them.

I had a similar issue with a shop downtown here in Chicago when they quoted some work for me. I found that over half of it was outsourced to other shops in the area that specialized in services this shop couldn't (or wouldn't ) do.
These folks apparently paint the caliper on the car. $175/caliper
https://www.rimrepaircenter.com/serv...painting-page/
Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Just wait and let the dirt accumulate. They will be black before you know it.

Yves
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 PM
gopirates
Racer

Originally Posted by vern1
you can paint them yourself you know

$20 for paint and decal. I did this with my 993 and no one was the wiser. Sure if you took the rims off and peered around behind the caliper (cause everyone does that ) you would notice but otherwise imperceptible to others. And you can do it in your driveway

Yep, I'm aware and mechanically inclined enough to do it. Though am curious what a fair and decent price is to have them professionally done and weigh the DIY effort versus having someone else do it.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

If you go with the powder coating approach (which will last longer than the paint), there is a specialized shop on HWY 70 West, across from the Fred Anderson Toyota Empire.

They do great work.

Yves
Old 03-31-2016, 03:00 PM
gopirates
Racer

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
If you go with the powder coating approach (which will last longer than the paint), there is a specialized shop on HWY 70 West, across from the Fred Anderson Toyota Empire.

They do great work.

Yves
Thanks Yves, I was aware there is a powdercoater on Glenwood as I've considered taking one of my older bicycle frames there to be redone....thanks for reminding me.

Quick Reply: $1350 to powder coat your calipers???