Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to join the 997 gang

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016 | 11:39 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dc2000
Nice, but to expensive. For just a bit more, you can get a 997.2 with good options. I recommend going with a 997.2 at that price point. The engine alone is with the price difference, not to mention the upgraded nav, suspension, and e exterior updates.
Who cares about Navi, and slight differences in the exterior "updates" and lighting (I actually like the shape of the 997.1 lights better). And I would bet the suspension on the 997.2 could be met or surpassed very easily with a simple turn of a wrench. The same can't be said of the color/paint on this car. also, if a bitchen navi is what you are after and what you care about, I am pretty sure a really good one could be added as well.

I say go for it
Old 03-30-2016 | 11:48 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

You do know that wraps only last a few years, right? This is actually a porsche factory painted car and not a wrap. I wrapped the roof of my M3 and it was in the garage every night and driven to work every other Day (3 miles away) and in the shade and it only lasted a few years. This was supposedly the best 3m product. Started to get a little dull then then eventually the whole thing started to get micro cracks and when I had it taken off, it was a complete headache. Took the guys several hours and it chipped off piece by piece. I will never do it again.

If you do it, plan on 2-3 years at most and just plan on having it stripped

Originally Posted by ATSR
+1

I absolutely LOVE Riviera blue but the premium they are asking for it is too much IMO. I would get the best 997.2 you can find and then wrap it with Avery Light blue which is identical to Riviera blue. I'm planning to do it on my car including the inside of the doors, frunk, etc. They even cut out the wrap where the OEM stickers are so it looks like it came from the factory in that color. I've been quoted around $3k for it and it takes about a week to get it done.

EDIT: Take a look at posts 127, 128 and 129 on the following thread. This is the post that convinced me to do it: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...l#post10231139
Old 03-31-2016 | 03:08 AM
dc2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodH
Who cares about Navi, and slight differences in the exterior "updates" and lighting (I actually like the shape of the 997.1 lights better). And I would bet the suspension on the 997.2 could be met or surpassed very easily with a simple turn of a wrench. The same can't be said of the color/paint on this car. also, if a bitchen navi is what you are after and what you care about, I am pretty sure a really good one could be added as well.

I say go for it
You ignored the most crucial part, the engine! But like others said, vinyl wrap is an option.
Old 03-31-2016 | 12:49 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH

I say go for it

Agreed on this. As a 993 and Z8 fan, those cars too are seeing rather wide gulfs of pricing difference that are color dependent, wraps are not in the assessment.

Though I'm attempting to be prudent, I realize the 'overpayment' is a bit of a hedge for future, plus I like it.

I'll concede the .2 engine improvements, yet could possibly apply to many other aspects of 'newer better than older' which time tends to forget as they approach some degree of collectibility.

Now I'm just rationalizing, as we've negotiated to a pretty good spot for both cars. If I'm not dodging lightning bolts tomorrow in what is predicted to be a nasty day, I'm heading over and back (2.5 hr drive each way). At least I'll have 4wd round trip!
Old 03-31-2016 | 02:57 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

+1

I absolutely LOVE Riviera blue but the premium they are asking for it is too much IMO. I would get the best 997.2 you can find and then wrap it with Avery Light blue which is identical to Riviera blue. I'm planning to do it on my car including the inside of the doors, frunk, etc. They even cut out the wrap where the OEM stickers are so it looks like it came from the factory in that color. I've been quoted around $3k for it and it takes about a week to get it done.

EDIT: Take a look at posts 127, 128 and 129 on the following thread. This is the post that convinced me to do it: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...l#post10231139
I keep debating this wrap idea... that 993 is lovely!
Old 03-31-2016 | 03:15 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

+1

I absolutely LOVE Riviera blue but the premium they are asking for it is too much IMO. I would get the best 997.2 you can find and then wrap it with Avery Light blue which is identical to Riviera blue. I'm planning to do it on my car including the inside of the doors, frunk, etc. They even cut out the wrap where the OEM stickers are so it looks like it came from the factory in that color. I've been quoted around $3k for it and it takes about a week to get it done.[/URL]
$3K for a wrap that comprehensive?! That's not much more than I paid for a clear bra (basically a full front). If the workmanship is good, they stand behind their work and you've seen real life examples, that is an incredible deal. Best of luck.

(I can't recall exactly but I think Premier Mobile (SF Bay Area) charges upwards of $10K for a full wrap, maybe more. But they are pretty much the gold standard of film application.)
Old 03-31-2016 | 03:20 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Not sure if this had been mentioned; I read through all the pages, but not hyper-carefully. Anyway, noticed that the wheels are definitely not the OEM Sport Classic "Fuchs," nor are they the modern version made by Otto Fuchs themselves. They are (I'm almost certain), the inexpensive ones with the tiny lug holes. My point is, I wouldn't be swayed too much by those wheels. They aren't worth much, and the two above mentioned versions look better, and are better made (the latter being true forged wheels, made by the original masters).

I absolutely love Riviera Blue. But I too would go for a well specced 997.2, in any color, for all the mentioned improvements, and also, for the extra power. That extra thirty horses is definitely noticeable.

Nice car, but really, if you break it down, all this car has going for it over any other 997.1 C2S/C4S, in my humble opinion, is the paint color. I'd rather have nice OEM wheels than those, etc.

Good luck with the decision. ;-)

Edit: Some visual aids:

Factory Sport Classics have a very different "petal" contour, and a stepped lip:

These wheels have the thinner, squared-off petals, and the flat deep dish lips:
Old 03-31-2016 | 04:57 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
$3K for a wrap that comprehensive?! That's not much more than I paid for a clear bra (basically a full front). If the workmanship is good, they stand behind their work and you've seen real life examples, that is an incredible deal. Best of luck.

(I can't recall exactly but I think Premier Mobile (SF Bay Area) charges upwards of $10K for a full wrap, maybe more. But they are pretty much the gold standard of film application.)
I was very surprised when I got the quote for that amount as well. I was expecting upwards of $6k as well, but what they explained to me is that since there are so many wrap places in Miami, they have to keep their prices down in order to stay competitive.
Old 03-31-2016 | 09:07 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Build sheet that was posted said came with carrera sport 19 - which those on the car are not. Those are probably the replicas from wheel dynamics - still nice wheels but a difference in price of 5K vs 1.5K

Quick Reply: About to join the 997 gang