Sponsored by:

PDK problem - no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:19 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PDK problem - no reverse

Gents, need a little help here. I also posted in the 987 forum but wanted to get some eyes on it here too in the event someone may have some feedback.

I have 2011 Cayman S with factory PDK. The car is a track only car for me (DE and open track, no wheel to wheel). I has a guard LSD as well as PDK radiator added.

Sometimes, when I go to reverse out of the trailer, or out of the garage, after the car has been sitting....I have no reverse.

I can hear it go "into" reverse, but if I apply throttle its as if the car is still in neutral.

No codes, no CEL. No difficulty moving the shifter. If I go to "drive" it immediately works going forward, but I may or may not have reverse.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but.....on track outs coming out of fast turns, the transmission sometimes will fail to shift and its extremely unsettling to the car at speed, as if it cant make up its mind what gear it wants to be in while running is sport plus.

I can't make it happen, its completely random so my local dealer has no idea......

thoughts??
Old 03-28-2016, 04:56 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

Did you have the latest PDK software update done?
I've never had problems you have described with backing, but I have had the vehicle go into emergency run mode randomly a few times and fail to select a gear when driven aggressively in sport plus out of corners- this occurred after two DE days at PIR- Five 20 minute sessions each. (turned out PDK is very sensitive to voltage) - Coil pack needed replacement and battery got replaced which actually fixed the issue. The dealership thinks the coil pack might actually be unrelated (however voltage again dealing with) and stated that battery voltage is critical to PDK.

Hope this helps....
I'd look at your battery

PS just adding - my car started and ran fine but battery stress test is where it failed.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:41 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Did you have the latest PDK software update done?
I've never had problems you have described with backing, but I have had the vehicle go into emergency run mode randomly a few times and fail to select a gear when driven aggressively in sport plus out of corners- this occurred after two DE days at PIR- Five 20 minute sessions each. (turned out PDK is very sensitive to voltage) - Coil pack needed replacement and battery got replaced which actually fixed the issue. The dealership thinks the coil pack might actually be unrelated (however voltage again dealing with) and stated that battery voltage is critical to PDK.

Hope this helps....
I'd look at your battery

PS just adding - my car started and ran fine but battery stress test is where it failed.
^^^ this is a good thing to check out. The other thought that came to my mind was how old are your PDK fluids? Might be time to get a fluid flush and refill for the system. If you use it mainly on track, you could be seeing an accelerated wear pattern, and thus you also need a corresponding accelerated maintenance program. I've done fluid replacements at 18,000 miles (way, way ahead of normal requirements) due to my track usage. It was something my service manager and I discussed ... we based our service plan off of Porsche's 991 GT3 track service schedule. You may not have a fluid service issue, it's just a thought.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I think as stated above, you have got to check the two easiest things first, battery/fluids before getting into the trans repairs itself... subscribed.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Was there any resolution on this?
Old 08-31-2023, 01:28 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

This is a 7 year old thread. Appears you are searching PDK and inserting your business card at will. OP is in the USA and doubt he will ship it to Europe when there are options in NA.

Last edited by docdrs; 08-31-2023 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: PDK problem - no reverse