Sponsored by:

Steering tubing/Hose leaking near rack & pinion on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Maf Racer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering tubing/Hose leaking near rack & pinion on 997.2

I have a 2009 997.2 Carrera S. one year ago, I had a leak in the high pressure AND low pressure lines going into the steering rack in the front of the car. These are tubing/hoses that are over 5 foot long. Both were replaced. I have no idea how both could possibly fail at the same time, it's practically statistically impossible. There were leaking at the steel part, near the hold down plate at the steering rack.

One year later one of the same lines started to leak heavily at the junction where the steel line has a high pressure rubber hose crimped onto it, near the front of the car. You can see all of the above leaks mentioned through the wheel-well with the car on the ground. This line was replaced. Two weeks later the other line is now leaking at the same steel/rubber crimped fitting. Has anyone ever had this issue? These are all non-moving parts and the Porsche distributor told me he never sells these parts because they don't break.

I've worked on cars for the last 25 years and can't understand what is happening.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Maf Racer
I have a 2009 997.2 Carrera S. one year ago, I had a leak in the high pressure AND low pressure lines going into the steering rack in the front of the car. These are tubing/hoses that are over 5 foot long. Both were replaced. I have no idea how both could possibly fail at the same time, it's practically statistically impossible. There were leaking at the steel part, near the hold down plate at the steering rack.

One year later one of the same lines started to leak heavily at the junction where the steel line has a high pressure rubber hose crimped onto it, near the front of the car. You can see all of the above leaks mentioned through the wheel-well with the car on the ground. This line was replaced. Two weeks later the other line is now leaking at the same steel/rubber crimped fitting. Has anyone ever had this issue? These are all non-moving parts and the Porsche distributor told me he never sells these parts because they don't break.

I've worked on cars for the last 25 years and can't understand what is happening.
Well, nothing that concrete but leaks like you describe suggest to me an over pressure problem. A high pressure relief valve has failed and is routing too high power steering pressure to the system and the weakest parts are leaking.

Not sure I'd throw a new high pressure relief valve at the symptoms with just the above to go on though.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Maf Racer
6th Gear

that is exactly what the mechanic said, and I'm starting to believe it too. Do you know where this high pressure relief valve is? i think it is in the pump itself. Is there also one going into the rack?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM
Maf Racer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Maf Racer
that is exactly what the mechanic said, and I'm starting to believe it too. Do you know where this high pressure relief valve is? i think it is in the pump itself. Is there also one going into the rack?
Does any one know? 😀

Quick Reply: Steering tubing/Hose leaking near rack & pinion on 997.2