Sponsored by:

Claying your Porsche windows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Claying your Porsche windows?

Long story short, I had to get my windows retinted since I purchased my car in another state and have 18% tinting which is not legal in NC.

When I had the windows retinted to 40% and when the guy finished up and the car was in the sun we both noticed at the same time about 50 small dots which looked like sneeze spray across the driver's side window. His thought was this was external and we tried to clean it and did not have success in using a normal glass cleaner and a large amount of buffing with a microfiber towel. These did not seem to be normal water spots.

I took the car home and tried on my own using Windex, Rain-X, lemon juice all with a lot of elbow grease and had no success in removing these spots.

I then took the car to a detailer recommended by the tinter and he thought it was either bad film or on the inside of the window. He also tried some of his products and some sort of acid and had no success at all either.

I then took the car back to the tinter and he removed the film on that window and we did discover and agree the spots are on the outside as we could see moisture forming around the spots when we cleaned the outside of the window.

Now, my question is this, since normal cleaning has not been successful would claying the windows help any here? I am also concerned as I know the OEM Porsche glass is fairly soft, will claying be kind of dicey here?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Clay should be fine. Use a good lubricant, like a quick detailer.

Our side windows come coated from the factory. Kind of like RainX on steroids.

If the clay does not work, test a small area with your razor scraper.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:17 PM
gopirates
Racer

Yep, that was my plan to use Meguiar's Quick Detailer as a lube. I did actually use a razor blade when I was with the tinter and this did nothing either which kept steering me this was on the inside.

We were both stumped, though hoping claying will yield some good results.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Wow, if the razor blade did nothing, I don't think the clay will help. Worth a shot. Maybe the spots were always there, and the film now makes them prevalent?? Good luck.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:30 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good luck removing tough "crap" off glass using Bon Ami cleanser...
Just a thought,
Gary
Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been happy using this stuff

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-nu-glass.html

It's kind of a polishing compound for windows.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default claying windshield

I clay the windshield a couple times a year and love the clarity it creates! Highly recommend it-- makes the windshield look like new.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 PM
JaredG
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you clay the windshield, try waxing it. I know it sounds crazy, but a friend told me he did all of his windows. I tried and couldn't believe the difference. But I couldn't bring myself to do the windshield. Once it decided to go for it, I now wax all of my windshields (and windows). Stays clean longer and bugs come off easier.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:34 PM
gopirates
Racer

I did try claying today. It did not remove the spots. It did seem to lighten them however. Though I did this at dusk and they are best seen in direct sunlight. I may try a light razor blade again tomorrow and also see how it looks in full sunlight.

Thanks for all the advice. I do like the idea of waxing the windshield. I may try that down the road. After I normally wash, I do put Quick Wax on the windows to remove any light water marks left over from blowing it dry with the Master Blaster.

Quick Reply: Claying your Porsche windows?