Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Model year matters too here. The 997.1 PCM is abysmal. It was introduced 11 years ago by a car company that lags the market for car electronics. It was hardly state of the art back then. Now its like using an old CRT monitor on you desk - it works but it's clunky and obsolete. There is a telephone keypad on the faceplate taking up a huge amount of real estate. No touch screen I can live with, but using a telephone number keypad to move a cursor on the map? Do you know how hard that is while driving? The 997.2 PCM is a bit better at least.

997.1 PCM version 2.1

OP - since nav is important to you, you have it with the installed aftermarket Pioneer unit, and your original 997.1 PCM did not have the nav option from the factory, I'd keep the car as is instead of going back to stock and adding a factory nav option. And then add OEM nav to your list of must have options for your next Porsche.

Last edited by semicycler; 02-27-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:21 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Yes I think this is a great setup too. I personally tend to get distracted easier by looking at my phone rather than looking at the display but that is an individual preference.
I'm talking about mounting the IPAD in the head unit !!!
People have done it.

Originally Posted by semicycler
Model year matters too here. The 997.1 PCM is abysmal. It was introduced 11 years ago by a car company that lags the market for car electronics. It was hardly state of the art back then. Now its like using an old CRT monitor on you desk - it works but it's clunky and obsolete. There is a telephone keypad on the faceplate taking up a huge amount of real estate. No touch screen I can live with, but using a telephone number keypad to move a cursor on the map? Do you know how hard that is while driving? The 997.2 PCM is a bit better at least.
Exactly.
Honestly, it's embarrassing.

And

whoever decided these cumbersome dials for temperature and fan should be fired.
Just terrible UI.
And the fact that they wear so easily ... and look like crap quickly .... just is the icing on the idiocy.

Quick Reply: Navigation System