Sponsored by:

Spacer question for Sport Classic wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinw1523
I went with the 15mm for the rear and the 7mm for the fronts. Obviously for a widebody fit.

My buddy has the wide body wheels on a non widebody car, and the rears sit perfect without any spacer.
Wouldn't the rear tires rub on the the wheel arch? That was my concern...
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Yes, they fit perfectly. Flush, but not too far out. They fit like a wheel that's ET66 (most stock 11" rears are ET67 or so), with a 15 mm spacer. Pretty much perfect. ;-)
Gonna find time to go over to my dealer to find out soon! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Ibexx
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just joined to prevent a very expensive mistake (one I made). The sport classic wheels are not 11" wide as most OEM wheels, but 11,5". Therefore, they stick out more than the 11" wheels (about 6mm + plus 17mm from the different ET). I found a used set wide body wheels that I fitted to my 2S. The rim protector of the tire does stick out and I really didn't like the look. When looking from the rear and front of the car you can see the tire, even at the top. My car is lowered and I can confirm there is no tire rubbing.

I have had to trade in the wide body wheels for a new set of narrow body ones. I could have bought a complete set brand new for the money I've spend now. I would strongly recommend you get the narrow body version and maybe add a few mm spacer later if you want. Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Hi Ibexx! That was what I was afraid of too! I originally had a set of wide body rims and they stuck out just slightly. Tried to convince myself it was the IROC look but after several months, I decided to switch to my narrow body aftermarket rims. Still wish for OEM rims though!

Originally Posted by Ibexx
Well I just joined to prevent a very expensive mistake (one I made). The sport classic wheels are not 11" wide as most OEM wheels, but 11,5". Therefore, they stick out more than the 11" wheels (about 6mm + plus 17mm from the different ET). I found a used set wide body wheels that I fitted to my 2S. The rim protector of the tire does stick out and I really didn't like the look. When looking from the rear and front of the car you can see the tire, even at the top. My car is lowered and I can confirm there is no tire rubbing.

I have had to trade in the wide body wheels for a new set of narrow body ones. I could have bought a complete set brand new for the money I've spend now. I would strongly recommend you get the narrow body version and maybe add a few mm spacer later if you want. Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibexx

Exactly - I checked my rears and the rim protector is flush with the car with no spacers - I used a yard stick, not my eye, to check it. It all depends on the look and some like the look of the wheels out - doing that with spacers is safer because you can always take them off - but using WB wheels, then you could get stuck like you did.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

do you have a photo of the wheel setup that was sticking out?

Originally Posted by Terrytwn
Hi Ibexx! That was what I was afraid of too! I originally had a set of wide body rims and they stuck out just slightly. Tried to convince myself it was the IROC look but after several months, I decided to switch to my narrow body aftermarket rims. Still wish for OEM rims though!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:42 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
do you have a photo of the wheel setup that was sticking out?
myw, this is the only picture I can find that I took before changing the WB rims out and dropping the car down with Sharkwerks/TechArt springs.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Ibexx
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't take any good pictures of the wheel sticking out. I just have the shot from the side (first picture). If you look closely, you can see the profile of the tyre being flush with the fender. All of the rim protector part of the tyre sticked out.The other pictures show how it sits now with the narrow body wheels. It is lowered on H&R springs.

Wide body wheel

Narrow body wheel 1

Narrow body wheel 2

Narrow body wheel 3

Narrow body wheel 4
Old 03-22-2016, 01:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

If it helps I have the 11.5" Carrera Sport wheels and a WB car like your C4. I also have spacers but opted for 5mm and 12mm front and back respectively. My car is not lowered yet but will be by this time next month.

Here is a pic I have that kind of shows the stance of the wheel with the spacers. Sorry it's not the best:

I did some measuring and agree with many above that when I lower I will also upgrade to 7mm and 15mm front and rear spacers respectively.

Quick Reply: Spacer question for Sport Classic wheels