Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:45 PM
TXSailor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought the Ctek and connected to emergency terminal in fuse box and door latch. how long does it take to get enough power to open hood? should it just work immediately?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:53 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSailor
bought the extractor set- AMZN prime will deliver Friday.
Good. A quality extractor set will pay for itself many times over ... ask me how I know.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

i usually plug it into the cigarette lighter and I can open the hood right away
Old 02-17-2016, 04:57 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Total FUBAR is a huge stretch.
I thought you totaled the car.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Any story you can tell,
is a good story.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

No biggie. Previous owner of one my BMW stripped the aluminum oil pan. I had to use a time-sert and basically redrill the hole. Now I have a steel insert in an aluminum pan so hopefully it'll never strip again.

As an added note, I change the oil drain plug every 2-3 oil changes depending on how it's looking. You should be able to get it out no problem.

I'd probably have just dremeled one slot on the side and hit it with screw driver and hammer like a cog.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:36 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
and on the bright side: I don't think you'll see discussions like those on the Ferrari forum ;-)
Yet another reason I love Porsche/these forums: the DIY ethos of many of the owners. I would never purchase a sports car without knowing that the car had a significant online community surrounding it.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Porsche's 997 Workshop Manual, procedure 17 01 55 Engine oil and oil filter change - as of MY 2005, attached. Oil drain plug tightening torque 37 ftlb, page 524. Oil filter housing tightening torque 19 ftlb, page 525.

Yes many will change the oil without a torque wrench. At the factory Porsche does not though. They build the car with specs on just about every nut and bolt. It's not often that manufacturers will publish the build torque specifications.
I agree - I can't imagine NOT using a torque wrench on the drain plug. Of course, if everyone used a torque wrench (correctly) on the drain plug we wouldn't have these interesting discussions.

The monkeys at Jiffy Lube certainly don't use a torque wrench, what does that tell you?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Also, when a bolt/hex head, what ever, strips out, its usually easy to get out since the metal that stripped is pretty soft, hence the stripping....
Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP - not your fault:

1. Torque wrench DID NOT CLICK. Faulty tool.
2. Instructions said use torque wrench. Faulty instructions.

Lesson learned - good instructions and good tools are valuable.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

hey, anyone feels like extending this discussion to over tightening the (steel) bleeder nipple in your (aluminum) brake caliper? Oh, and while we're at it, let's include the (steel) caliper bolts which go into your (you guessed it - aluminum) upright. And why are always the expensive parts made out of aluminum and the cheap stuff out of steel?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points regarding the steel parts going into aluminum. Given the tendency for the factory aluminum drain plugs and the ECS magnetic plugs to strip, I'm going to purchase the drain plug below. It's the 18 X 1.5 thread, made of steel, and it's magnetic. Also uses a bigger 10mm hex

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161750235480?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

hey, anyone feels like extending this discussion to over tightening the (steel) bleeder nipple in your (aluminum) brake caliper? Oh, and while we're at it, let's include the (steel) caliper bolts which go into your (you guessed it - aluminum) upright. And why are always the expensive parts made out of aluminum and the cheap stuff out of steel?
I don't think you can say nipple on this forum.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:33 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

If this is the worst thing that happens to you... you're winning.

Two things I do now after stripping many a fastener (I too was taught that tighter is better, I know better now).

1) torque wrenches are inaccurate at their lowest settings. So, either use a different range wrench, or test it after you set it at a low setting torque setting before trying it on the target fastener.

2) You actually want the drain plug to be made of softer material than the pan. If somethings going to strip have it be the plug and not the more expensive pan. I'd replace it with a Porsche plug, it's soft enough, but not too soft. I think the steel plug is a bad idea.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:02 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and on the bright side: I don't think you'll see discussions like those on the Ferrari forum ;-)
As a Ferrari owner and self proclaimed DYI.....you would be surprised. There are some folks who are down right mental at their knowledge of Testarossas combined with surgical precision. There are many folk who do their own belt services (pull the engine) etc. Me, I know my limitations. The worst thing that I could imagine is to pull the oil pan and go to work on the stripped plug. Not rocket science....just patience. But then again, there are the folk who go in half cocked and pay the piper. But the funny thing is, the guys who go in with guns a blazin usually have the horsepower to pull it off correctly in the vintage Ferrari world.

Worst case scenario, buy another oil pan and drain plug. But try to fill the stripped hole with aluminum foil, JB weld, then hex bolt, then make deep cuts with dremel tool for a flat head, then reverse drill it with an extractor.

To make you feel better, I parked way off in the nose bleed section of Home Depot In my TR. When I went to drive off, I hit the fiberglass spoiler on the parking spot concrete block.......cracked. I parked, walked back into HD, bought some fiberglass, resin and black BBQ semi gloss paint. When doing the repairs I noticed various other repairs once the paint was removed. By nightfall, the lower spoiler was perfect. Saving $1400 on a repo part and ????? on original.

Quick Reply: Total FUBAR