Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruh Roh - dealer left an upsetting note regarding catalytic

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't even need to raise the car. Just stick your phone under and take a pic of each side. It will be obvious if they have been impacted because you'll see scrapping on the pipes.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
Shouldn't even need to raise the car. Just stick your phone under and take a pic of each side. It will be obvious if they have been impacted because you'll see scrapping on the pipes.
I tried that tonight. The car is too low, and I don't have a selfie stick lol.

The GTS just sits a little too low to get a good pic.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRace
This same topic seems to come up every once in a while on the 997.2. The header pipes are indeed flattened when new.
See the attached pic as a good example. (Pic from Sharkwerks site).
Compare yours to this.
Thanks for posting that pic. I'm going to ask the dealer to clarify and see if they can get it up on a lift and take a photo.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 PM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLex
The note basically stated that the pipes leading up to the catalytic were crushed to half of their diameter.
I saw an episode of one of the Sunday muscle car shows recently that dyno'ed a built American engine, and then they proceeded to progressively beat the headers ugly. They dyno'ed after each "assault" and there was no degradation in hp or torque even after they were substantially crushed. Their conclusion was 'don't worry if you bang them up to make them fit'. It was amusing to watch, and if you check the show websites (part of that Power Block Nation series) it is probably available on-line.
Hope this all works out for you.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:57 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by realityintrudes
I saw an episode of one of the Sunday muscle car shows recently that dyno'ed a built American engine, and then they proceeded to progressively beat the headers ugly. They dyno'ed after each "assault" and there was no degradation in hp or torque even after they were substantially crushed. Their conclusion was 'don't worry if you bang them up to make them fit'. It was amusing to watch, and if you check the show websites (part of that Power Block Nation series) it is probably available on-line.
Hope this all works out for you.
That conclusion is generally wrong. Probably because that manufacturer didn't tune the exhaust headers to take advantage of the pressure wave for evacuating exhaust gasses. This is something Porsche does do and it does help increase torque and HP.

It's long but will educate:
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bottom of mine looks like that as well.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Just FYI: These "ugly" headers are actually made using the latest tech called hydroforming... but they only started doing this in the 997.2 models.. These are harder to engineer but I guess that's one of the things we pay for in Porsches. The pipes look crushed but are engineering that way to fit better while maintaining certain pulse-tuning lengths. Despite intuition they have the exact same effective diameter all of the way down even though the pipes vary in shape. The bottom line is there is no constriction (one the 997.2 S/GTS models at least, not sure about non-S).

For OP: Of course, if your car is a 997.1 or they were actually crushed by some incident that is another story. As stated by others, we can advise if you can get clear photos to us. Sometimes the service reps really don't know what they are talking about. When I first took in my PDK to get the clutch oil change, the service advisor at the time told me it used the same hydraulic fluid and reservoir as the brakes and since I had recently flushed my brakes I didn't need to worry about it! I knew better and told him he was just plain wrong. The master tech came out and confirmed the error. Geez. Incidentally, I found out a couple of months later that that service rep had been replaced (due to a history of things of which this was just one example).

Quick Reply: Ruh Roh - dealer left an upsetting note regarding catalytic