Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil change time, can I switch brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016 | 11:39 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

Default Motor oil change time, can I switch brands ?

I have about 60,000 on my P car 997.1.
It is due for an oil service. I was reading about the Joe Gibbs driven oil. Do I need to do anything before switching or, can I just change to it? I have used Mobil One to this point. I did look in the search function but didn't see about switching to another brand.

As always, thanks for the information,

Bryan
Old 02-03-2016 | 11:48 AM
kenza
Advanced

Sure you can. I guess you always change the oil filter too.
Old 02-03-2016 | 11:53 AM
Lahainabry
Racer

Yes, filter always changed at oil service. I just didn't know if switching to a different brand had adverse effects if mobile one was always used prior.

Thanks

Bryan
Old 02-03-2016 | 12:06 PM
NAM VET
Pro

the vast majority of engine oils claim to be mixable with other similar oils, but then, who really knows if the additive packages are absolutely compatible. Likely the differences are minor, though. But a fair amount of oil will remain in the "system", so it will take a number of changes to get just about all of the oil switched out.

Engine lubrication is the most common opinion you will find on this and other forums. I would be best to stay within the recommended viscosity for your Porsche.

For my cars, I am and have been for many years, a RedLine oil man. 5-40 in the GT3.

All the best...
Old 02-03-2016 | 12:19 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Another oil thread, yeah! Many have strong opinions about oil in these cars. Feel free to go down that rabbit hole if you want. Me, I'll stay away from the hot topic and talk in general.

Porsche approved motor oils have a A40 spec on the bottle. The most general and simplest answer is yes you can switch oils, just be sure to use the right viscosity (0W40, 5W40, 5W50, see your owners manual).

You can even use non-A40 spec oils if you want, they work too. Yes some brands are better than others regardless if the A40 spec is on the bottle or not. But more important than any brand is change frequency. Change your oil and filter often, on the order of every 5000 miles or at least once a year. This is much more important than the brand you use.
Old 02-03-2016 | 02:27 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lahainabry
It is due for an oil service. I was reading about the Joe Gibbs driven oil. Do I need to do anything before switching or, can I just change to it? I have used Mobil One to this point. I did look in the search function but didn't see about switching to another brand.

Bryan
I use JGR DT-40. I switched when I bought the car last summer. It had Mobil 1 in it before. The engine "quieted down" (clicking, ticking, what I remember as "tappet noise"). I plan to use a partial mix of DT-50 with the DT-40 during the warm weather months. The goal is to target a particular idling oil pressure at a given oil temperature.

Raby recommended running a few miles (I did about 200) on a transition oil - JGR's rebuild conventional 10-30W - and then put in the DT-40. The theory is to flush out the old additive package so as to avoid "cross pollination" problems.

Last edited by jchapura; 02-03-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: imprecise reference
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:33 PM
kenza
Advanced

Sorry, what would be the benefit of having JG oil instead of any other Porsche approved oil?
Old 02-03-2016 | 08:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lahainabry

Bryan
Is that oil Porsche approved?
Old 02-03-2016 | 08:39 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kenza
Sorry, what would be the benefit of having JG oil instead of any other Porsche approved oil?
It's my understanding that the additive package is especially helpful for the M96/M97. It's my understanding that it was developed with significant collaboration with Raby (Flat6) who is a well respected M96/M97 builder/expert.
Old 02-03-2016 | 08:40 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I don't think it is which is why some folks wait until their cars go "out of warranty" before using it.
Old 02-03-2016 | 09:03 PM
street rod
Drifting

Old 02-03-2016 | 09:04 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Originally Posted by jchapura
It's my understanding that the additive package is especially helpful for the M96/M97. It's my understanding that it was developed with significant collaboration with Raby (Flat6) who is a well respected M96/M97 builder/expert.
Yes, I believe additives and less detergent makes a "better" oil.
Old 02-03-2016 | 09:06 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
I don't know. Was going to call them in the am tomorrow.
I also have a warranty. I may need to stay with the Mobile One.
Old 02-03-2016 | 09:08 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Originally Posted by jchapura
I use JGR DT-40. I switched when I bought the car last summer. It had Mobil 1 in it before. The engine "quieted down" (clicking, ticking, what I remember as "tappet noise"). I plan to use a partial mix of DT-50 with the DT-40 during the warm weather months. The goal is to target a particular idling oil pressure at a given oil temperature.

Raby recommended running a few miles (I did about 200) on a transition oil - JGR's rebuild conventional 10-30W - and then put in the DT-40. The theory is to flush out the old additive package so as to avoid "cross pollination" problems.
Thanks for the information. I was wondering about a "flush type" oil.
That or like Nam Vet says about several oil changes to get it all cleaned out.
Old 02-03-2016 | 09:12 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by street rod
street rod are u trying to get something goin'?

Quick Reply: Motor oil change time, can I switch brands ?