Bore scoping during PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM
w1234ale
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bore scoping during PPI?

All,

About to pull the trigger on a 2006 s with 30k miles. Car is nearly perfect.

PPI went well yesterday. No issues. Tech told me the car was in great shape.

He said he wouldn't bother checking for bore scoring at a cost of 3-hrs.

Should I have the bores scoped? Will cost me $350-400

No soot on tail pipes and absolutely no indication of an issue.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:16 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would... It probably doesn't have any issues but, doesn't seem like a lot of money for the "piece-of-mind".

GL
Gary
Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by w1234ale
All,

About to pull the trigger on a 2006 s with 30k miles. Car is nearly perfect.

PPI went well yesterday. No issues. Tech told me the car was in great shape.

He said he wouldn't bother checking for bore scoring at a cost of 3-hrs.

Should I have the bores scoped? Will cost me $350-400

No soot on tail pipes and absolutely no indication of an issue.

3 hours sounds reasonable for a boroscope inspection. 400 USD versus at least 15000 USD for an overhauled engine makes the 400 USD pocket money in my opinion.
It is all about risk, no risk no fun, for me I consider all 997.1 to have bore scoring till proven differently. I am not pessimistic, just realist.
Your call, I would check the engine out properly out to easy my mind before spending + 40000 USD. Would get another mechanic too, not worth to give advice as that based on assumptions.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

It's about you and your level of risk. The chances of scoring is very low. But you are talking $20k plus to fix if it is.
So my answer is its up to you.

Now for my opinion. I would. But I was IMS bitten.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM
w1234ale
Advanced

Thanks for your thoughts. I probably will have it done so that I don't have the nagging feeling that it might happen.

I'm still somewhat freaked out about the IMS issue but I'm trying to put that out of my head. According to the vin the car was built on June 16th which I understand is right on the edge of another fix for the problem. I've read--forget where--that after June Porsche made some adjustments to the IMS that made it more durable.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Zachy
Advanced

Default All or nothing?

1) Is this type of inspection all or nothing? It seems to me that bore scoring would manifest itself, if not equally, at least to some extent in all cylinders. Therefore, couldn't one just inspect the easiest access plugs? Or do all plugs need to be removed to facilitate setup (e.g., piston movement)? If only the easiest cylinders are accessed, I can imagine this as only an hour job, versus 3 or more.

2) Lack of bore scoring at 30k miles is no guarantee of the future. Just sayin.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 AM
w1234ale
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zachy
1) Is this type of inspection all or nothing? It seems to me that bore scoring would manifest itself, if not equally, at least to some extent in all cylinders. Therefore, couldn't one just inspect the easiest access plugs? Or do all plugs need to be removed to facilitate setup (e.g., piston movement)? If only the easiest cylinders are accessed, I can imagine this as only an hour job, versus 3 or more.

2) Lack of bore scoring at 30k miles is no guarantee of the future. Just sayin.
1) Very interesting question--I can ask the mechanic if he can just look at one cylinder.

2) One thought I have had that the scoping might help me down the road if I decide to sell the car. But maybe this doesn't help because the problem can manafest at any time?
Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't remember, but scoring happens in one bank much, much more often, possibly due to some slight difference in how coolant arrives there. And within that bank, a certain cylinder # tends to go first.

paging Jack Raby .... paging Flat6 Innovations.

EDIT TO ADD:

From Luxter, who was referencing Hartech expertie:

Only one (Thrust) side of piston and cylinder bore gets scored which is top side of Bank 2. Cooling system (its complexity, location of T-stat, lengthy hoses to radiators, etc.) is most likely to blame for it, or specific conditions that cause local overheating on thrust side only. Since bank 2 thrust side heat exchange between coolant and outside of cylinder wall is not as efficient as bank 1 (again very well explained by Baz in guide 5), it suffers from scoring.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:16 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For three hours labor I would ask for a leak down test and bore scoping. If your car fails the scoping or leak-down that might be the best $400 you ever spent.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Just a thought. Maybe purchase a warranty for the car? It might give you some more "peace of mind".
Old 01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
w1234ale
Advanced

Originally Posted by j beede
For three hours labor I would ask for a leak down test and bore scoping. If your car fails the scoping or leak-down that might be the best $400 you ever spent.
Great advice! Thank you. Forgive my ignorance but what is a leak down test?
Old 01-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by w1234ale
I'm still somewhat freaked out about the IMS issue but I'm trying to put that out of my head. According to the vin the car was built on June 16th which I understand is right on the edge of another fix for the problem. I've read--forget where--that after June Porsche made some adjustments to the IMS that made it more durable.
Simply put, get over the IMS. If you buy an older version, then just replace it and move onto you next paranoid of choice. If it the larger bearing, Jake has said somewhere on this forum that the newer, larger bearing are fine.

So, how do you tell which one you have. Read post #14 here.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:46 PM
coshesey
1st Gear

If you buy a car that is CPO and you find bore scoring after purchase, what will Porsche do to remedy it? In other words are you safe with a CPO car and doing a bore scope after you purchase it?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:02 AM
Linnm
Pro

Leak down test Pressurize each cylinder and measure how long it takes for the pressure to drop to a certain point
Old 01-31-2016, 12:49 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I read in several different places that bore scoring happens on cars that are driven in cold weather. Winters or close to freezing startups etc. Not only in hot conditions or that it is due to heat.

Raby should be a very reliable source with his experience and I kinda understand the logic of the previous text but has anyone heard the opposite?

Quick Reply: Bore scoping during PPI?