Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering [w/audio]

Just got Bilstein B16 coilovers installed on my 997.2! Slight problem though, whenever I turn the steering wheel at all, either direction, there's a creaking/groaning noise coming from both the front (imagine walking on old squeaky floorboards). We think it's coming from the upper strut mounts.

Any ideas?

Here's what it sounds like [added 1/30/16]. This is how loud the noise is from inside the car with the windows closed!

Here are some photos in case anything looks out of the ordinary.

Last edited by gasongasoff; 01-30-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added audio/video clip
Old 01-27-2016, 03:12 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that the stock, upper bearing plate installed between the upper mount and the silver collar from Bilstein?

That or a missing conical washer that slides over the shock piston are probably the two most likely candidates.

Also if the top nut is over torqued it could create the problem.

Last edited by motopix; 01-27-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by motopix
Is that the stock, upper bearing plate installed between the upper mount and the silver collar from Bilstein?
Not sure. Are you referring to the black rubber washer between the black top plate and the silver collar?

That or a missing conical washer that slides over the shock piston are probably the two most likely candidates.
Uh oh, is this what the conical washers looks like? (the OEM ones weren't put in)

Also if the top nut is over torqued it could create the problem.
How could I diagnose that? The shop used a wrench (not an impact driver) to tighten the top nut.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
motopix
Pro

There should be a plastic encased needle bearing that goes between the top mount and the Bilstein collar at the top. If you only have a rubber gasket then that's a problem. The shock has to rotate when you turn the wheel and a rubber gasket isn't going to do that.

There is a rubber gasket on the rear shocks since the rears don't turn like the fronts, so maybe you're thinking of that.

The washer you show goes on top and bottom of the top mount. The one I'm referring to slides onto the piston before assembly and basically is the resting point for washer you show when everything is tightened down.

As for over torquing the top nut, I think you'd have to use a torque wrench. I think it's only supposed to be about 20-25lbs but can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:12 PM
motopix
Pro

See page 17 of the attached.

The conical washer I'm referring to is shown below the lower curved washer in your pictures and rides on the curved part on the piston that you see in the right hand shock body picture.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Bilstein-install-doc.pdf (610.4 KB, 349 views)
Old 01-27-2016, 05:08 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Having that coil spring bound up all the way with the adjuster.....does not look right at all. Something is wrong there.....The coils are all bunched up and rubbing on each other. Better read the instructions again or call TPC.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Chowbow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing wrong with that lower spring completely compressed. It's a helper spring with a very low spring rate, and it functions to make sure the main spring doesn't come out of the perch at full droop.

You may be getting a bit of spring bind when turning - is it only pronounced when you turn the wheel a decent amount (eg. parking, but not when regularly driving)? If it's a bit of spring bind you can install Torrington bearings between the spring and the perch to let the spring rotate freely. This was the issue on my wife's car.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

There should be a plastic encased needle bearing that goes between the top mount and the Bilstein collar at the top. If you only have a rubber gasket then that's a problem. The shock has to rotate when you turn the wheel and a rubber gasket isn't going to do that.
Oh, got it. I'm assuming they installed the bearing assembly at the top. There were no "leftover parts" that might correspond to this.

The washer you show goes on top and bottom of the top mount.
Okay, so it's ok that the OEM ones were remove? Phew.

The one I'm referring to slides onto the piston before assembly and basically is the resting point for washer you show when everything is tightened down.
Ok, I'll ask about this. Is it on the diagram?

As for over torquing the top nut, I think you'd have to use a torque wrench. I think it's only supposed to be about 20-25lbs but can't remember off the top of my head.
We are definitely going to try this. Thanks to you and others for suggesting it.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:11 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by Chowbow
There's nothing wrong with that lower spring completely compressed. It's a helper spring with a very low spring rate, and it functions to make sure the main spring doesn't come out of the perch at full droop.
Okay. Any idea why mine is fully compressed, but not on other installs?

You may be getting a bit of spring bind when turning - is it only pronounced when you turn the wheel a decent amount (eg. parking, but not when regularly driving)?
No, it is pronounced with ANY steering wheel movement, no matter how slight, and no matter whether the tires are pointed straight ahead or locked to the left or right.

If it's a bit of spring bind you can install Torrington bearings between the spring and the perch to let the spring rotate freely. This was the issue on my wife's car.
Oh, interesting, do you remember what the part number was? Also, should I have to modify the installation on brand-new coilovers in order for them to not make a horrible noise?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:43 PM
motopix
Pro

If you look at the diagram from the doc I posted on pg 17, from top to bottom: nut, washer, top mount, bearing case, washer, then conical washer.

The conical washer is an OEM part: 996-343-513-00-OEM - SHOCK CONE WASHER
The bearing case is OEM part: 996 343 515 05 deep-groove ball bearing
with housing

You can find these on the Porsche part diagram, pages 77-78

edit to add: on one B16 install, the tech forgot the conical washer and there was a grinding/groaning whenever I turned the wheel. Your coilovers should be quiet.

edit 2: if you decide to get Torrington bearings or thrust sheets, you need ones with 60mm inside diameter. I added a few thrust sheets to my coilovers for extra slidy-ness.
Got them from FRSport.com 1 044101 Swift 044101 Spring Thrust Sheets Kit 60mm
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 AM
motopix
Pro

DC911S might be onto something too. I looked at my old B16s and I have nowhere near that number of threads showing on the front shock. The Bilsteins have a very narrow range for where you can set the ride height and it's not the whole threaded area of the shock body. That allowable range is also on the doc I attached above.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The diagram in the Bilstein manual is a bit confusing. The correct order of parts is as follows (starting from the top):

1. Bilstein nut
2. Bilstein conical washer
3. Upper strut mount
4. Strut bearing
5. Strut mount support ring
6. Spring shim
7. Bilstein conical washer
8. Bilstein shock rod washer

My guess would be that the support ring is missing from your install. It's an easy mistake to make and does not allow the spring top to come in contact with the strut bearing.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:36 AM
motopix
Pro

The support ring is clearly in his pictures.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

idlook2 and motopix, thank you for explaining the Bilstein install diagram. NOW I understand what they were trying to convey with the dotted rectangles. Ridiculously confusing.

Based on what I can see, I can confirm:
1. Bilstein nut - INSTALLED
2. Bilstein conical washer - INSTALLED
3. Upper strut mount - INSTALLED
4. Strut bearing - INSTALLED
5. Strut mount support ring - INSTALLED
6. Spring shim - INSTALLED
7. Bilstein conical washer - ?????
8. Bilstein shock rod washer - ????

So, how do I know if 7 and 8 were installed, and if they were installed correctly?

Last edited by gasongasoff; 02-01-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The support ring is clearly in his pictures.
Where? I can't see anything above the spring shim?

Quick Reply: Help with new Bilstein B16 install - groaning/creaking noise when steering