Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Intake Install - 997.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:06 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Fabspeed Intake Install - 997.2 GTS

I had this intake laying around taken off a 2011 Carrera S and finally got around to installing it. Put it in my 2012 GTS 4 Cab...

Product:
TOP NOTCH! I was very impressed with the quality of the unit and the fitment is perfect. Everything went in without a hiccup and looks much better in my opinion than the large "box" that really did nothing for me aesthetic-wise. I need to clean the filters but was too inpatient and had to install it ASAP

Install:
Took 45 minutes as it was my time working on this car...so I wanted to make sure I did it right the first time. Now that I have done it, 30 minutes (as the instructions say) is spot-on. I am very impressed how well the unit fits...almost like it belonged there in the first place!!

Reactions:
Main thing I have noticed is throttle response. The pedal is much more responsive and actually made it more user-friendly. The sound from the intake is awesome: top down, sport mode and spirited driving really opened it up nicely. Also gave the exhaust note a slightly lower/deeper growl (which I am loving). The sound from 4k-7k RPM's is pure bliss (not that it was bad before haha). I love the air blow-off when you turn the car off...and when driving hard there is an awesome sound when down-shifting that is music to my ears.

I will update this thread as time goes along...but so far I am very happy. Next up is the side-muffler bypass delete from Fabspeed to really give "Carly" the bad a$$ sound I am after. But for now, this will do just fine!

Any questions feel free to ask!

Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

I was very much less than impressed with the fabspeed on my 7tt, but as long as you like it, enjoy and good luck.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:35 AM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I was very much less than impressed with the fabspeed on my 7tt, but as long as you like it, enjoy and good luck.
So you had a Turbo? Please elaborate on your issues...loss in power? Bad fitment? This is the second 3.8 "S" engine (2011 C2S) that I have now had it on; the first was an absolute treat.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

It looks good...but has negligible effect (if any) on performance...and an oiled filter increases the chance of a fouled MAF and more dirt in produced in the airflow.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2 GTS
So you had a Turbo? Please elaborate on your issues...loss in power? Bad fitment? This is the second 3.8 "S" engine (2011 C2S) that I have now had it on; the first was an absolute treat.
yes, I purchased the car with it on there.

The performance when the car was hot was laggy, especially around 2000rpm. The filters would also get saturated in heavy rain, which on occasion caused a misfire. My car is a daily driver and this was not acceptable.

To me the fabspeed intakes seem designed for looks, not performance, given the "hot air" nature of having the filters open to the engine compartment.

I will say that it made a very nice intake sound.

I went back to stock and haven't looked back.

that said, you have a different car and different motor, and if you're happy with it, then thats all that matters.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

The Fabspeed filter is not an oiled filter. It appears to me to be using the AFE multi-layer dry synthetic medium, although custom made for Fabspeed. I could be wrong but the appearance is pretty much spot on.

I too was worried about the hot air problem, so I measured this after I installed the Fabspeed intake. Unfortunately I didn't keep the raw data, but I do recall my observations pretty well. Using a WiFi ODB-II dongle that transmits data to a iOS phone app that then displays readouts and graphs the data, I was able to continuously read both the ambient air temperature and the MAF intake air temperature.

At idle sitting still at stop lights with a fully warmed up engine with an outdoor temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the MAF temperature reported a value in the very low 70 degree range, so roughly a 12 degree increase. However, when moving the inrush of outside air through the deck lid air slots and plastic ducts caused a quick drop in the MAF temperature reading that was very close to the ambient. At highway speeds it was only 2 or 3 degrees warmer than the ambient.
Some of this can possibly be explained by velocity and compression effects as the air is lightly compressed as it moves into the constricted area of the throttle body itself... I don't know. In any case 2-3 degrees isn't of much concern. If I didn't already have the Turbo hydraulic cylinders in the way I would have repeated this with the stock airbox to see how it behaves in the same circumstances. Note than I left the plastic ducts in place on the Turbo lid I have on my C2S since they drop air directly on top of the filters.

Part of this is likely due to the heat shield that comes with the intakes. This appears to block at least 90% of the opening between the engine and the filters when the deck lid is closed. When coupled with the positive pressure coming from the deck lid, heated engine air is largely pushed down and out of the bottom of the engine compartment.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Does the Fabspeed intake do anything to 997.2 cars considering the stock intake is pretty much already two cone filters?

The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-02-2021)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an Evolution Motorsports intake, which is about the only one Sharkwerks recommends, and it's a dry filter, but I don't think anyone can feel anything through the throttle response on basic intake upgrades. Definitely placebo action here.

At 4000+ RPMs, the roar is definitely more hellish.

Generally, the gains comes from the cone shaped filter and maybe overall design of the tube(s), but the real joy in any of them is how they compliment a good exhaust sound.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:01 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
I have an Evolution Motorsports intake, which is about the only one Sharkwerks recommends, and it's a dry filter, but I don't think anyone can feel anything through the throttle response on basic intake upgrades. Definitely placebo action here.

At 4000+ RPMs, the roar is definitely more hellish.

Generally, the gains comes from the cone shaped filter and maybe overall design of the tube(s), but the real joy in any of them is how they compliment a good exhaust sound.

Your post is somewhat apples to oranges since you have the M97 engine vs the 9A1 engine of the OP.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:03 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
The Fabspeed filter is not an oiled filter. It appears to me to be using the AFE multi-layer dry synthetic medium, although custom made for Fabspeed. I could be wrong but the appearance is pretty much spot on.

I too was worried about the hot air problem, so I measured this after I installed the Fabspeed intake. Unfortunately I didn't keep the raw data, but I do recall my observations pretty well. Using a WiFi ODB-II dongle that transmits data to a iOS phone app that then displays readouts and graphs the data, I was able to continuously read both the ambient air temperature and the MAF intake air temperature.

At idle sitting still at stop lights with a fully warmed up engine with an outdoor temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the MAF temperature reported a value in the very low 70 degree range, so roughly a 12 degree increase. However, when moving the inrush of outside air through the deck lid air slots and plastic ducts caused a quick drop in the MAF temperature reading that was very close to the ambient. At highway speeds it was only 2 or 3 degrees warmer than the ambient.
Some of this can possibly be explained by velocity and compression effects as the air is lightly compressed as it moves into the constricted area of the throttle body itself... I don't know. In any case 2-3 degrees isn't of much concern. If I didn't already have the Turbo hydraulic cylinders in the way I would have repeated this with the stock airbox to see how it behaves in the same circumstances. Note than I left the plastic ducts in place on the Turbo lid I have on my C2S since they drop air directly on top of the filters.

Part of this is likely due to the heat shield that comes with the intakes. This appears to block at least 90% of the opening between the engine and the filters when the deck lid is closed. When coupled with the positive pressure coming from the deck lid, heated engine air is largely pushed down and out of the bottom of the engine compartment.
Excellent write up. Thank you. As to the poster below you, there was a much larger performance gain on the M96/97 engines since their intakes were terrible. The intake for the 9A1 engines is quite good in stock format so gains are minimal. I have the Fabspeed on my car and it sounds very good but I am not sure about any gains.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:52 PM
St8haus
Racer

The performance when the car was hot was laggy, especially around 2000rpm. The filters would also get saturated in heavy rain, which on occasion caused a misfire. My car is a daily driver and this was not acceptable.

To me the fabspeed intakes seem designed for looks, not performance, given the "hot air" nature of having the filters open to the engine compartment.

that said, you have a different car and different motor, and if you're happy with it, then thats all that matters.
Well with water saturation in your filters I would say that could be quite an issue...mine does not see rain so I will not have to worry about that.

Yes the filters are "open" to the engine compartment, but they are also not confined in plastic boxes and have much more air to flow over the intake tube. The stock box and coupling have bends in them that do not promote air flow...unlike the Fabspeed

Warmed it up for a while this morning to get temps up, and she drove amazing right from the start.

So far so good...time will tell
Old 01-26-2016, 01:00 PM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It looks good...but has negligible effect (if any) on performance...and an oiled filter increases the chance of a fouled MAF and more dirt in produced in the airflow.
See below...these are dry synthetic filters that do not require any oil...

Originally Posted by StormRune

^^ GREAT information! I am noticing very similar results...plugged into the OBDII and was getting 12-14 above ambient @ idle after warm, and 1-3 degrees at driving speeds...even got some ambient readings on the freeway @ 70mph. It was 59 degrees out.

There is a good amount of space for the filters now and love the sound...and with the MAF sensor temps being in-line with a "cold" air intake, going to keep on enjoying this!!
Old 01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by Crester
Does the Fabspeed intake do anything to 997.2 cars considering the stock intake is pretty much already two cone filters?

Those paper filters are quite restrictive on the OEM...and once you remove the stock intake you will see that there are a lot of bends/turns that do not promote airflow. Rear some of the info StormRune posted...great info and is spot-on with my findings...and FYI I also left the rubber attachments from the deck lid to promote air flow down to the filters

Last edited by St8haus; 01-26-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

A winning popular Rolex race team that raced the GTS dyno'd the Fabspeed intake vs the stock intake. The Fabspeed LOST power and had major heat soak. The race team and shop sold Fabspeed exhaust too and advised me not to get the intake.

Just an FYI for you all...the GTS already had a very efficient cold air intake...why lose power with some after market intake that does not work properly?

The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-02-2021)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, this is why I went with an OEM 997.2 airbox to try and retrofit to my 997.1.

The fabspeed intake doesn't look as effective for isolating the airbox from engine heat.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Intake Install - 997.2 GTS