997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy/First time Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016 | 01:50 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Buddy...the amount of time you spent writing that response, you could have provided some POSITIVE input instead.

I understand that it's frustrating to see the same questions being asked over and over but remember, you are NOT obligated to respond to every post. Just sayin!

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Did you spend any time searching for information? This has been discussed roughly 8 million times.

Its unreal that the first thing people think to do is post a new thread instead of just doing a search.
Old 01-20-2016 | 02:00 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Then we will discuss it 8 million and 1 more time.

PPI is essential, I wouldn't worry about low miles. 2006 is a good year for the 997's. 2009's are better w/o the IMS but obviously out of your budget if you are looking at 2006's. The 997 is pretty reliable, just your normal wear and tear items that needs to be replaced but at that miles, I highly doubt anything needs to be done except an oil/filter change.
Old 01-20-2016 | 02:11 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

One good thing about a 3800 mile car is that a Fidelity warranty will be much cheaper if you decide to get one.

When I was shopping, the fidelity warranties went up in price with every 5,000 mi threshold crossed (05-12, year didn't matter, only mileage). You should be able to get a warranty for a reasonable amount in my opinion and it will probably be worth it.

But be careful and search Fidelity warranty on this forum before you start a new thread or quadcammer might bite you again
Old 01-20-2016 | 02:11 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Quadcammer seems like he was forced by a **** web admin to read these threads.

Low miles are a concern because things don't get a chance to reveal themselves, things dry out, and it's a sign (far too often) of someone that doesn't have time to care for a car that needs the care, or they don't have the resources, so their vehicle sits.

Compounding that issue is that the 997 series seems to thrive from regular use and regular runs to the redline (also known as an Italian tune up). I'd say this is true for many Porsches and high end cars.

Getting a local Porsche expert to do a pre-purchase inspection address or solve most concerns, but you should still find out as much about the car's history. The guy doing the PPI would benefit from the info as well.

The more info the better.

Research costs of things by doing legwork. For example, you would be wasting time to ask how much tires cost, when there are sites like TireRack that'll show you all dozen or so options, with reviews, etc.

I'm glad I have my Porsche, but hate that an engine issue could leave me with a 25,000 dollar bill (and that is twenty five thousand. All zeros intentional)
Old 01-20-2016 | 02:22 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

There is always the "do a search" person on every forum and I get it.

What I don't get is the "why did you bump a four year old thread?" person as usually that happens from following the advice of the "do a search" person.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy/First time Porsche owner