Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting XM radio and XM Radio Traffic to 2012 997.2 existing pcm module

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:29 AM
RohanThomas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting XM radio and XM Radio Traffic to 2012 997.2 existing pcm module

Can this be done? If the car was not fitted with xk in factory it misses the antenna tail on TOP, any way to do it after market?

I know using iphone and playing via Bluetooth is one option but it won't get u xk traffic on the pcm nav module...

Thoughts?

Last edited by RohanThomas; 01-15-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do not believe it is doable other than a complete PCM swap as the XM / Sat Radio hardware is integral to the way the PCM is built, and it has to be coded to your VIN number as well.. so if it is doable, it will be very expensive.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I do not believe it is doable other than a complete PCM swap as the XM / Sat Radio hardware is integral to the way the PCM is built, and it has to be coded to your VIN number as well.. so if it is doable, it will be very expensive.

^^^^^^^ what he said
Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

One more comment: I have XM and XM traffic. And the traffic is a crapshoot. If I really need to know the traffic situation I only trust Waze. So maybe an Apple car play radio would be the right route if you go aftermarket.
The PCM 3.0 really getting long in the tooth compared to state of the art in 2016, like in my 2015 BMW i3
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The XM NavTraffic feature (which is nice as it superimposes on the navigation map displays and is used to recalculate routes on the fly if using navigation) is completely dependent on the data sources for road congestion and incidents. That data is typically provided by a local department of transportation or other governmental agency. So if your area has the roads metered will and has the stuff set up (Puget Sound for example, and many other major metro areas) you get good use out of it. If you are in the rural space, there is no governmental data source, so the NavTraffic system cannot provide you any data - you have to rely on the drivers-self-generated data via Google Maps or Waze; but that doesn't integrate into the PCM's navigation and map system.

The future is definitely to no longer install navigation systems in the vehicles and let all of those smarts live on the mobile devices people carry, and instead just have the user interface be in the car. So the PCM screen and buttons control and display the map, navigation and the like in consistent and standard fashion (likely via Google and Apple offerings both being integrated into the cars).
Old 05-19-2019, 11:57 PM
hotwani
3rd Gear

Default Software update in PCM

Hi anyone can suggest how to update the software in PCM ?
Thnak you
Old 05-20-2019, 12:12 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Updates to the PCM can only be done by the dealer. Not sure it would be worth it though.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:31 AM
hotwani
3rd Gear

is it not true that you put DVD in your PCM and it will update the software?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

You can put an XM antenna under the windshield cowl. I did on my 2000 Boxster S where I added XM. It worked wonderfully. These pics from my car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a 997.1 Cab and I plugged a PCM 2.1 Sirius XM module (specified for a Cayenne, which had the same PCM at the time) in my MOST loop, which works great for standard XM broadcasts. I originally installed my antenna like Bruce in Philly, but here in WA State, all the foothills and 75'-100' tall trees severely affected the reception. I got another magnetic antenna, plugged it in, and tried it in various locations all over the car. It works the best smack in the middle of the top windshield surround. Since I have a cab, I ran the wire under the cab top weather stripping into the area in front of the firewall so it literally cannot be seen. Next, I painted the antenna "wart" Midnight Blue Metallic so it looks like it really belongs there. I now have Sirius XM through the PCM 2.1, and to date, no one has made fun of my antenna.

Looking at the drawings for the cab top, the front plastic section is segmented with lots of open cells. I've often thought that putting the antenna underneath the canvas in one of these cells should work and completely hide it, at the price of running the wire from the back of the car up to the front. My cab top is in great shape, but if I ever have to replace it, I think I'll try this location.

Meanwhile, I'm not messing with success.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting XM radio and XM Radio Traffic to 2012 997.2 existing pcm module