Sponsored by:

numeric racing shifter in place of factor SSK

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default numeric racing shifter in place of factor SSK

I bought a numeric racing shifter because of all the reviews saying how much better it is compared to the stock shifter. However, I now found out that my car already comes with a factory SSK (i guess it was optional). I have a manual 2006 C2S

Anyway - am I going to notice any difference. Not sure if I should install the numeric racing shifter at this point...

Has anyone driven both or replaced their factory SSK with the numeric racing?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, you'll still notice a huge, positive difference in shifter feel. No need for any buyer's remorse.

If you don't like it, you can likely flip the Numeric for close to what you paid for it but my bet is you'll be keeping it.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

I just finished the install - it's not easy but I finished it in a couple of hours. Hardest part was installing the shifter without removing the console out of the car because it was attached by the ipod connection cables.

Anyway, onto the review
1. Reverse is now a lot harder to get into but I think I'll get used to it
2. First to second is buttery smooth. This was my main motivation for replacing the factory shifter because I used to have to go from first to neutral and then into second
3. Going into first from neutral coming up to a red light is slightly easier but by no means smooth
4. Set in the middle setting, the shift **** sits slightly higher than the factory ssk

Overall, I'm pleased with the numeric racing but it isn't a huge difference compared to the factory SSK. Maybe it is compared to the base shifter

I still think my LS6/T56 combo in my track car with a MGW short shifter is the best shifting feel ever and this doesn't get close

A few pics from the install

Old 12-15-2015, 01:57 AM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Wild way to install haha. I plan to pick up a Numeric after xmas as the 997 throw is so long. Tons of good reviews on it. Would say i would have bought yours if you planned to sell! Looking good!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:37 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Getting the center console out of the car would make the install a lot easier! I got more seat time and yes it is a very worthwhile mod. I bought it about 5 months and never got around to installing it. Install was a lot easier than i expected. I just ordered some mobilube ptx to replace the tranny fluid. Hoping it'll be even better then
Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

You can remove those cables and free the console. First remove the rubber mat in the compartment, and then remove the three screws there. Now, pry up the " secret" plastic floor. You will see another screw under there. Then disconnect the two cables from the circuit board and pull it out of the holder clips.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: numeric racing shifter in place of factor SSK