Sponsored by:

Shout out to thank RichFL...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Randy Forbes
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shout out to thank RichFL...

... from a new member! So a partial introduction could be construed out this too (tried to post it into your Torque Specs thread, but it only took a single sentence of all I typed__guess it thought I was spam...

I DO want to say thanks to RichFL for posting his torque spec table, because after a very quick search, I found the torque value for the oil sump drain plug I was looking for. A neighbor asked me if I'd change the oil in his 2010 Carrera S (20k mi/orig owner) and not having touched a Porsche in about thirty (30) years, figured I'd better educate myself a bit. Found everything I was looking for, right here!

Looking at RichFL's avatar, I'm like: looks like my house__window detail is different__color, architecture, quite similar. Oh! RichFL; makes sense, looks like Florida alright! But wait; Parrish! Wow! Okay, so RichFL's presumed intent was to help 997 DIY enthusiasts worldwide, but here he gave vital information to a guy, quite possibly, right around the block!

RichFL, I'm just off Golf Course Road, if you want to meet up sometime. And thanks, you made today's work a lot easier, and confidence inspiring.

As for me, I've made my name working on BMWs, primarily the '98 - '02 ///M Coupes/Rdstrs. My references; an album for nearly every car I've worked on in the past dozen or so years, plus a few concours events thrown in for good measure. Currently at 54,110 images, I wouldn't expect anyone to ever look at them all, but IT IS an xlnt link to save, should you ever suffer from insomnia...

http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Nice group you have here, wish there was something I could contribute; thanks for letting me in!

C'mon, it looks a little like your house...

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 05-13-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:27 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - lol. One of the differences in houses is your garage ceiling is high enough for a lift. I'm not so lucky. I'll send you a PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy cow, you've got enough clownshoes for a circus troupe!

My dad's got an '01 Z3M Roadster in Imola Red, so I'm pretty well versed in the idiosyncrasies of the E37!

His car needs a new clutch soon, at 30k miles. He bought the car as a CPO in 2004 with 9k miles, but I'm certain the previous owner was not gentle with the car.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Randy Forbes
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RichFL
Wow - lol. One of the differences in houses is your garage ceiling is high enough for a lift. I'm not so lucky. I'll send you a PM.
Before moving to Florida, I had that same lift in a garage in Ohio with a 9'3" ceiling (I think the ceiling in the picture above is 10'4").

The detached garage (not shown in the previous post) is a little bit taller, with about 12'4" inside ceiling height.

Simultaneously responding to your E-mail/PM now...

I'm still stoked by the coincidence
Old 12-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Randy Forbes
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Holy cow, you've got enough clownshoes for a circus troupe!

My dad's got an '01 Z3M Roadster in Imola Red, so I'm pretty well versed in the idiosyncrasies of the E37!

His car needs a new clutch soon, at 30k miles. He bought the car as a CPO in 2004 with 9k miles, but I'm certain the previous owner was not gentle with the car.
LOL, that's a good one!

Last summer, I was juggling Coupes around from the waiting room (attached garage) back to the surgical unit (detached garage) and took the opportunity to capture this Kodak Moment. Note that this was NOT a group meet, in fact I was the only person there. That's my own '99 Coupe in the foreground, all the rest are customer cars.

The gray M Rdstr (in post #1) is an 01 model that my wife and I picked up at the Spartanburg Performance Delivery Center, the day before the 2001 Roadster Homecoming event (now with 46k mi). Well if you've ever looked up the trunkfloor spotweld separation/differential mount fracture issues, you'll see my name come up a lot. People send me their cars from all over the country to do my repair on them (the car in the post after yours was from Washington state, and I had only just moved in on April 27th!).

My 99 M Rdstr (black car tucked in the corner of the garage next to the gray car) was bought CPO 11/11/00 with 5400 miles; currently with 96k__and a Eurosport Twinscrew Supercharger, just like my blue Coupe !!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!!! I didn't realize you were THAT Randy Forbes, lol.

Yeah, my dad's car hasn't even been driven more than 30 miles this year, it's quite sad. He's content driving around his Volvo XC70 than even thinking about driving his Z3M. Granted, the clutch is starting to slip ...

He's been toying with the idea of putting a supercharger on it (especially after driving my 997), but he's getting too old to do the work himself. At various times throughout the year, he'll ask if I have time to help him out with a clutch swap, but he always runs out of money at the last minute.

His car's subframe seems to be okay, after pulling the trunk carpet to observe the spotwelds. I've met guys who have higher mileage cars that say the reinforcement needs to be done sooner rather than later.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Randy Forbes
5th Gear

Here's a supercharger I put on an 01 Coupe several years ago__I had already done his trunkfloor/diff mount reinforcement. I've worked on several SC S-54s, and fitted quite a few S-52s with virtually every brand/type of supercharger that was marketed. I've only done one turbo install__by choice

This is the setup on my Coupe (99 M Rdstr is the same thing__for now)

Quick Reply: Shout out to thank RichFL...