Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a day at the office...(finished my Street/Track safety package)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP911
Certainly appreciate the info.

I'm enjoying this thread and the comments. Thanks for sharing OP! It looks nice. Can we see the exterior as well?

I've been contemplating going a similar route with my 997.1S. When I purchased it (used.. my first Porsche and sports car), I wanted something that was as original as possible to ensure reliability and dependability for a DD. Now, after 2 months and 3.5k miles later, I'm finding that I'm moving around too much to have the control over the pedals that I would like to fully extract the fun out of this beast. Thinking some minor mods like what you've done would go a long way. The 4pt vs. 5pt harness thing is interesting. I wonder if something like a 4pt harness + a CG-Lock for the stock lap belt would be a good compromise as far as safety and still being able to use the 4pt seat/harness setup that you want. I was looking at Recaro Sportster CS seats w/ a 4pt harness myself, but now Carmichael has me rethinking things!
No problem man I love sharing. Here is the thing about safety equipment like this on the street: decide how much you track and if it's worth it to you to sacrifice comfort for experience. I got stuck in traffic for an hour and a half and I didn't even care because the 5-10 minutes I got of driving like a madman (safely) was so awesome. I tested this setup first with a seat and drove for something like 12 hours over a weekend. It was great. I had some back pain but I got over it. So in the end, just look realllly hard and yourself and decide if the trade off is worth it. I'm sure when I take this to the track soon the experience will be unbelievable. But if I never, ever tracked it I of course wouldn't do it. This will be back to garage before I randomly decide to take it out on fun nice days and track days.

Also if you go harness, go 5 or 6 point.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My track car hasn't been out to the track in almost ~5 years, so it's been put on the backburner for quite some time, but I've been meaning to put a five or six-point harness in there.

It will pass tech with my local club, which is fine for now.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:51 PM
CP911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
Also if you go harness, go 5 or 6 point.
So here's my question then - Can you use a 5/6 point harness with a seat that is advertised to work with 4 point harnesses? Or does the seat need to be specifically made to work with 5/6 point harnesses?
Old 12-10-2015, 02:57 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by CP911
So here's my question then - Can you use a 5/6 point harness with a seat that is advertised to work with 4 point harnesses? Or does the seat need to be specifically made to work with 5/6 point harnesses?
Needs to be a seat made for 5/6 pt harness because it will have a slit in the bottom of the seat for the sub harness to pass through. Seats made for 4 will not have this pass-through area.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:48 PM
CP911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Needs to be a seat made for 5/6 pt harness because it will have a slit in the bottom of the seat for the sub harness to pass through. Seats made for 4 will not have this pass-through area.
I was afraid this would be the case...

I'd ask more questions, but it's probably time to start my own thread instead of hijacking this one. Really appreciate the info everyone!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can cut a hole in the seat to make it work, but I would just buy a seat that was designed for it.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carmichael
You can cut a hole in the seat to make it work, but I would just buy a seat that was designed for it.
It all works as a system, so yeah I'd say do it right and buy a seat made for 5-6 pt harnesses. You can still use a 3 point correctly with almost all of them.

I recommend omp seats. They fit our car well, and I sat in a bunch before I decided it felt the most well made and comfortable for me.

Keep in mind... With a 5-6 pt harness you will need eye-bolts screwed into plates you weld in the floor to attach sub belts to, to be proper for "racing." For hpde, a bar or system can work just less safe.

Quick Reply: Just a day at the office...(finished my Street/Track safety package)