Sponsored by:

Help: Intermittent humming/buz car off - draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:16 AM
paolotvl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Intermittent humming/buz car off - draining battery

2005 997 Carrera S with 74,000 miles. The other day while working in the garage I noticed a short, very low pitch humming sound coming from the car. It comes every thirty second and lasts about 1-2 seconds and sounds very similar to the noise the lock actuators make. I heard it a few times and thought "weird, I've never heard it before" but I didn't think anything of it. This morning, here in Houston finally we got lower temperatures, I go to start the car and the battery is dead. It had some juice, but not enough to crank. The battery was replaced roughly a year and a half ago and I drive the car about 50 miles daily. I thought it was the change in weather. I had no time to deal with it this morning so I took another car. Half an hour ago I went to recharge the battery and there was no juice left, completely dead. So I had to jump the fuse box to open the hood and jumped started it. I am now recharging it but the humming sound is back. It is not normal. I've had this car for four years and I would have noticed this sound before. Any ideas?? Thank you.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Any aftermarket devices installed? Radar detector, stereo, bluetooth, etc.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:58 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Also check for codes through the OBDII port. Things like a door lock failure will not light the dashboard "check engine light" but will have an error code you can read.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There was a problem a service manager pointed out a few years ago while I was working with them to diagnose a buzzing problem (which wasn't my issue)..

The front hood release electronics may engage un-intentionally due to a failure in parts there - so check if its the front hood latch release system.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:21 PM
paolotvl
Intermediate

Thank you guys. I sat in the car like an idiot for five minutes trying to locate the problem at the end it was one of the passenger seat control buttons stuck in one position (down button).... It is weird, because it was not a continuous buzz, just what I described. It was enough to move it and unstuck it. I will now take it apart and check it, but at least I know where the problem was.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:08 AM
paolotvl
Intermediate

It was the passenger seat, not "one of the passenger seats"....

Quick Reply: Help: Intermittent humming/buz car off - draining battery