Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts
Default 997.2 Control Arm Replacement

2009 C2S, 93K miles

FYI

When I changed my shocks I inspected my control arms and found the rear lower arms had tears in the center bushings. I could not order the arms and install them myself.... no time ..... so I searched like heck and finally found a pair of TRW units and had them overnighted to me. I took my car the next morning, with its new shocks, to Bavarian Specialties for an alignment and threw these arms on as part of their work.

These arms were hard to find.... Pelican was out of them and didn't know when they would be in... really hard to find.

I found Importec in Texas had two arms and at a really good price.
http://www.importec.com/

Control Arm: 997-331-053-03
Porsche original: about $500 each = $1,000 parts

"Same" TRW control arms from Importec: $189 each + 38.95 overnight = $418
Alignment: $196
Labor to install arms: $321

I don't know if the tears in the bushings are all that bad, but they were definitely torn. Note that the bushing is designed to be attached on only two sides and there is an empty slot on the corresponding two sides so it is not torn clean away as it may look. My screwdriver is inserted into one of the designed slots (not a tear). It is torn where it is attached.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 12-06-2015, 03:47 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

You can just replace the center bushings for anyone thinking of doing this. If the ball joint is fine and the rubber boot is in tact then no need to replace (if it wasn't damaged or bent).

Those bushings are also not oriented correctly which is probably why they failed.
They should be oriented with the thrust/trailing arm and not the LCA.

Like this (from this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ion-gurus.html):

Last edited by nwGTS; 12-07-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bad link.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-07-2015, 12:10 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

fixed link
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm going to order bushings rather than arms all the way around if I can help it. Check play/wear in ball joints by looking for movement while still fastened? My car has 107k mi. I see small cracking of the bushing on the rear driver's side. I'll look again when I have a minute to get dirty. With a press this should be simple.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Are the bushing available as a separate part?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM
Westside997
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Reviving this thread with a few questions.

When I had my PPI done the tech said my front passenger "lower control arm was leaking" and that the OEM part was "fluid-filled" (and he was not referring to the ball joint). Based on the photos above, the "lower control arm" appears to have a solid-ish rubber bushing in its center.

Per the 997.2 service manual, is he referring to the Diagonal Arm (aka, Control Arm Link) vs. the Lower Control Arm/ Trailing Arm (aka Wishbone), as seen above?

I'm finding there is a decidedly random use of vocabulary to describe parts between the Porsche documentation and parts house description.

Apparently, a Lower Control Arm/ Trailing Arm (Porsche service manual), Wishbone (Porsche parts catalogue), Track Bar/ Track Rod (parts houses) are all the same part.

And, a Diagonal Arm (Porsche service manual), Guide (Porsche parts catalogue), Control Arm/ Control Arm Link/ Trailing Arm (parts houses) are all the same part.

But I digress, as far as you know are anyone of these parts "fluid filled"?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:53 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Westside997
Reviving this thread with a few questions.

When I had my PPI done the tech said my front passenger "lower control arm was leaking" and that the OEM part was "fluid-filled" (and he was not referring to the ball joint). Based on the photos above, the "lower control arm" appears to have a solid-ish rubber bushing in its center.

Per the 997.2 service manual, is he referring to the Diagonal Arm (aka, Control Arm Link) vs. the Lower Control Arm/ Trailing Arm (aka Wishbone), as seen above?

I'm finding there is a decidedly random use of vocabulary to describe parts between the Porsche documentation and parts house description.

Apparently, a Lower Control Arm/ Trailing Arm (Porsche service manual), Wishbone (Porsche parts catalogue), Track Bar/ Track Rod (parts houses) are all the same part.

And, a Diagonal Arm (Porsche service manual), Guide (Porsche parts catalogue), Control Arm/ Control Arm Link/ Trailing Arm (parts houses) are all the same part.

But I digress, as far as you know are anyone of these parts "fluid filled"?
The ball joints have grease inside them that can leak out, but none of them are "fluid filled."
Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 PM
Westside997
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
The ball joints have grease inside them that can leak out, but none of them are "fluid filled."
hmmm, it definitely wasn't the ball joint (I'm familiar with those), and I thought I did see indications of weeping, or he implanted that in my head. The construction of the bushing on the Diagonal Arm looked like it could potentially contain fluid. i.e. it seems to balloon out on the sides more than other bushings, similar to that of a ball joint. I'll crawl under there again and get some pics this time. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Westside997
hmmm, it definitely wasn't the ball joint (I'm familiar with those), and I thought I did see indications of weeping, or he implanted that in my head. The construction of the bushing on the Diagonal Arm looked like it could potentially contain fluid. i.e. it seems to balloon out on the sides more than other bushings, similar to that of a ball joint. I'll crawl under there again and get some pics this time. Thanks!
I replaced all of these suspension arms recently, front and rear. None of them have fluid, but they do contain grease. Could be fluid leaking from above. The power steering rack tie rods are in that area. My rack leaked into the inner tie rod boots. Brake lines are also in the area. Could also be leaking grease from torn CV joints if you have an AWD 911
Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

This thread does make me wonder if stock bushings are available for the 997.2 suspension without having to buy complete control arms and related parts. Anybody know?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
This thread does make me wonder if stock bushings are available for the 997.2 suspension without having to buy complete control arms and related parts. Anybody know?
My friends with 928s use Vertex. I believe they rebuild arms and other parts.... or something like that... worth a call. I never used them but some friends give them good marks. (866) 668-0660

https://www.vertexauto.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I appreciate the link, but their rebuilds don't seem much cheaper than new aftermarket control arms. I have an oven, a freezer and a hydraulic press. Reacing bushings is usually something I can do in my shop. I just want some stock rubber ones to tighten things up while I'm replacing my shocks.

I don't really want to go with monoball or bearings. I don't want any more NVH than stock. I'm getting old.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The 997's are fitted with "Hydraulic" front arm bushes, which are thicker than the 996 and 997.1 gt3 bushes/arms. What this means I'm really not sure....
The caster arm has a wider spacing to go over these types of bushes.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
I appreciate the link, but their rebuilds don't seem much cheaper than new aftermarket control arms. I have an oven, a freezer and a hydraulic press. Reacing bushings is usually something I can do in my shop. I just want some stock rubber ones to tighten things up while I'm replacing my shocks.

I don't really want to go with monoball or bearings. I don't want any more NVH than stock. I'm getting old.
I think they are cheaper when you send them the old part, the core. Again not an endorsement.

Peave
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 Control Arm Replacement