Sponsored by:

PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) permanently quiet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:31 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) permanently quiet

I'm at my wits end. Let me preface this with the fact that I'm new to p-cars and sort of lost. Please talk to me like a child, because it's likely I'm missing something very obvious.

My 07 C2S is equipped w/ PSE. It has worked beautifully for the last year, but recently stopped working. It is always "quiet". All other sport mode functions work perfectly.

I have disconnected the orange plug to try to fix it, to no avail. From what I'm reading, I likely don't have a vacuum issue because then it would be stuck "loud". I can also tell only one side of the exhaust is open at idle...so it seems my valves are stuck closed somehow?

I would like to verify, but I can't find any resource anywhere that can direct me on where the damn valves are. I can't find them. I would love it if someone could explain or show me a picture.

If you have any ideas on how to approach this, I would really appreciate it.

Tl/Dr my PSE is quiet all the time and it doesn't make sense.
The following users liked this post:
zboy325 (03-29-2022)
Old 12-05-2015, 08:04 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Thought I'd post here for future folks who have a similar issue.

Disconnecting the orange wire did not help. However, when I pulled a vacuum line from the switch, suddenly I had loud exhaust again.

At this point, it seems obvious that the switch itself is broken, a $125 part. I'll order and replace it.

In the meantime, I simply pulled off and capped both vacuum lines and I have loud exhaust all the time. Pretty sure it's OK to do this, but open to any feedback.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 PM
rob0001
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Try if the solenoid orange plug if has power when switched from PSE button. Could be that the solenoid is stuck in open position and needs replacing.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm pretty sure you've found the problem. It turns out that the vacuum switch used for the PSE switch is the same as the one used to control the resonator on the air intake. The air intake one sits on the passenger side of the airbox. If you want to test things before spending money, I'd think you could swap the vacuum switches to see if that fixes it.

I looked online here at what I think is the correct part (it is the correct part for my 997.2 and it appears they have used the same valve for things like this since the late 90s). I believe the original part number is 996.605.123.01, but the newer replacement for that is 7PP-906-270. Gaudin Porsche's online site has this new part for only $28.48 plus shipping. Here is a link: http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/oe-porsche/7pp906270. If you read the description you can see it is the replacement for the first number I referenced above.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:48 AM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Thank you both.

I did use a multimeter to check for power from the switch...got 8.5 volts which seems odd, but definitely was powered. I know the PSE isn't simply "on" or "off", so I figured that was likely not the culprit.

I will be ordering this part...thank you! $30 is much better than 2000 for new mufflers ☺

Quick Reply: PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) permanently quiet