Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Results on eBay Car - Buy, Walk, or Run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PPI Results on eBay Car - Buy, Walk, or Run?

I'd recently placed a hold on this car: CLICK ME!

The car looked like a decent deal and the owner agreed to let me complete the PPI before committing to a final purchase. Well, the PPI is back and this is seeming like less of a bargain. But, before I write off the car, I was curious to know everyone's thoughts. The PPI revealed, including repair costs:
  1. Water pump pulley wobble and possible expansion tank leak - $2961 for new water pump, thermostat, pulleys, and expansion tank + $365 for coolant flush.
  2. Misfires on 1, 2, 3, and 6 with cracked/old coils - $2176 for major service and new coils.
  3. 4/32 and 3/32 wear on old tires (I knew about this one) - ~$1200 for tires + $375 for alignment.
  4. $165 for brake fluid flush.
  5. $134 for cowl cleaning.
  6. And the biggie...uncertain oil leak, could be RMS, could be IMS. Recommended a new clutch as well, but owner states this was done "recently"; this can be verified. Figure a max of $3,800 depending on what's needed.
That's a potential spend of more than $10K on a $34K car that still has 64,000 miles on the clock. However, the overrev report came back great and the paint is uniform thickness overall.

The PPI was done at Intersport which I've heard has a bit of a reputation for unnecessary work, but I gave them no indication that the work would be completed by them, so in my mind they aren't incentivized to run up this report for their gain. Regardless, I'm open to everyone's thoughts before I reply back to the owner.

I've never owned a Porsche before and I'm excited at the prospect, but want to make sure I'm in the right car. Apart from what's listed, which feels mostly like deferred maintenance on a car that doesn't get driven a lot, the car seems great...but I have no basis for comparison.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:40 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bidding has ended - did you buy it?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
Bidding has ended - did you buy it?
I have a deposit on the car to end the bidding, so it's "mine" in the sense that no one else can bid on it, but I don't own it outright, pending decision based on PPI results.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:49 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze
  1. Water pump pulley wobble and possible expansion tank leak - $2961 for new water pump, thermostat, pulleys, and expansion tank + $365 for coolant flush.
  2. Misfires on 1, 2, 3, and 6 with cracked/old coils - $2176 for major service and new coils.
  3. 4/32 and 3/32 wear on old tires (I knew about this one) - ~$1200 for tires + $375 for alignment.
  6. And the biggie...uncertain oil leak, could be RMS, could be IMS. Recommended a new clutch as well, but owner states this was done "recently"; this can be verified. Figure a max of $3,800 depending on what's needed.
That's a potential spend of more than $10K on a $34K car that still has 64,000 miles on the clock. However, the overrev report came back great and the paint is uniform thickness overall.

The PPI was done at Intersport which I've heard has a bit of a reputation for unnecessary work, but I gave them no indication that the work would be completed by them, so in my mind they aren't incentivized to run up this report for their gain. Regardless, I'm open to everyone's thoughts before I reply back to the owner.

I've never owned a Porsche before and I'm excited at the prospect, but want to make sure I'm in the right car. Apart from what's listed, which feels mostly like deferred maintenance on a car that doesn't get driven a lot, the car seems great...but I have no basis for comparison.

I'd pass unless there's something really compelling about this car.
Assuming the first two are correct, you want to get them done before driving the car home (you mentioned fly/drive in previous thread I think).

The leak might be something that can be put off can it can develop anytime so recent service does not preculde it. To clarify, it means IMS seal, not the bearing itself.

If you decide to move forward, I'd probably get a 2nd PPI with ASG and plan to leave it there to get the work done.

edit: and I don't recall you mentioning the IMS bearing itself so that's something to plan for since it's a 2005, when the tranny is dropped to fix whichever seal is leaking.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:54 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like he didn't maintain the car.

Are you willing to do the work to get it up to par? You'd have to do most of it before you could drive it.

It's one of those, maybe depending on how you can turn a wrench?

Also, do you have any maintenance records of the oil changes?

If they have been few and far between with those issues, I'd almost be willing to RUN away from it.

Mike
Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Let me help you

Let me help you.... combine this PPI with being a none local car etc and the flight costs to get it etc... PASS without one ounce of hesitation. No walk nor run needed, juts a casual stroll...

Keep looking....
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Item #6 alone would make me run away. Uncertain oil leak on a 2005 would not allow me to sleep properly.

Other items seem that it wasn't maintained as it should have.

There a lot of very good 911's out there if you have patience. This one doesn't seem to be one of those.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:05 PM
motopix
Pro

Or use the PPI as a serious negotiating tool and roll the dice.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

How did the owner not notice misfires?

I had watched that car, too. I am reading the results with interest.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Those repair costs seem awfully high. Don't let the repair quotes alone scare you away just yet.

I had a new water pump, thermostat and expansion tank installed for about $1600 total at an indy.

Not sure if the full major service is necessary. Plugs and coils if you DIY is about $400 in parts and a couple of hours of your time. Oil change is maybe $60 for DIY. Brake flush is cheap, $20 is fluid and your time. I'd do air filter too. So maybe $500 total if you DIY.

Yup, tires are about $1200. Alignment not always necessary.

Again, fluid is cheap at $20 and should be part of the major service. I'd DIY this one.

I'd go with a detailing product like Back-to-Black or the like first. $10 total. If it's really bad then replace the entire cowl for a new one at about that $134 price.

6. And the biggie...uncertain oil leak, could be RMS, could be IMS.
Likely RMS as it's a common leaking point. Surprised it wasn't repaired/replaced when the "recent" clutch was done. It's a 2005 so the IMS could be "easily" replaced too, depending upon engine serial number. Just guessing here but maybe another $1500?

So what to do? You have upwards of $5K in repairs depending upon some unknowns with the oil leak and if you will go with an indy or DIY. I'd want full docs on the clutch repair and question the seller about the oil leak some more. Then I'd ask for the repair costs minus the cost of the tires off the asking price, or roughly $30K to close the deal. Otherwise move on.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:25 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by semicycler
Those repair costs seem awfully high. Don't let the repair quotes alone scare you away just yet.
It's not the costs that are scary, it's more the fact that some of this has gone on as deferred maintenance which could mean other items down the road. There are no sure bets on a used car, of course, but knowing that the owner has taken care of the car to the best of their ability means a lot.

At $30K it would be a great deal, even with the repairs, but there are a lot of 997s out there...
Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Understood. It sounds like you already know the answer and want someone to change your mind then. Dissappointing to get less than stellar PPI results. But that's exactly why you do a PPI. It's time to move on.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:31 PM
motopix
Pro

Keep in mind a clean PPI doesn't prevent these things from coming up in a few thousand miles either. In some sense it's better that it happens now so you can negotiate the price vs. being stuck with the bill later.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:34 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by motopix
Keep in mind a clean PPI doesn't prevent these things from coming up in a few thousand miles either. In some sense it's better that it happens now so you can negotiate the price vs. being stuck with the bill later.
That's a fair point, and if he's open to negotiation on price, then the car hasn't been written off at this point. But, to your earlier point, I would more than likely have the work done at ASG.

The fact that the paint came back at uniform depth, it has all the options I'm really looking for, and nothing worrying in the overrev, makes me a little tempted--though cautious--if the price is right.

Quick Reply: PPI Results on eBay Car - Buy, Walk, or Run?