997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glove box hardware quality (minor rant)

Old 10-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Glove box hardware quality (minor rant)

So on the inside of the right side of the glove box door there is a small plastic hook that the damper/strut attaches to, and that hook broke. No complaints there, after all it lasted 10 years, plastic gets brittle with age.

I got a new one from the dealer. $9 + tax for a little injection-molded clip, but ok, it's a German car and a Porsche. Again, no complaints.

Removed the old piece, attached the new one to the damper, snapped it in. Perfect. Until it too broke. In exactly the same spot.

Anyway, I drilled a little hole through the stump left when the hook broke off, passed an open paper clip through it and around the little rod inside the damper, twisted it, snipped off the excess and tucked it out of sight. However the clips holding the part into the hole in the trim were also brittle, and no longer held tightly. So I bonded it in with hot-melt glue. That part looks a little DIY (but I'm not entering it in a concours) but at least everything functions.

My WAG is the replacement clip was also 10 years old and just as brittle as the original.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Curious to know... was it from overusing the glove box or not using it at all?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
My WAG is the replacement clip was also 10 years old and just as brittle as the original.
Funny. The replacements were probably from the same production run as the ones installed on the cars.

Of course, $9 for any part on that car sounds like a screaming deal to me.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:46 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Aren't all Porsche replacement parts guaranteed for a year?
Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Aren't all Porsche replacement parts guaranteed for a year?
At least, maybe 2 years. A stored (away from UV) plastic part should not be brittle. I would have returned it and gotten a replacement.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to keep my sunglasses in the glove box so I used it twice a day.

Probably it would be guaranteed if I had let them install it (probably a half hour labor rate) but I figured they'd just say I broke it because I installed it myself. It was only a $9 part so if I ever decide to try another one it's not a huge expense. If the damper ever gives out I may try again. I think my DIY may last forever though. Now I keep my sunglasses in the center console and I locked the glove box. I feel lucky when the 1st one broke I had my hand under the lid so it didn't drop down full force and break the (also plastic) stop, because as I understand it the stop isn't available as a separate part from the glove box assembly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glove box hardware quality (minor rant)