Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does buying a 997 from a Hyundai dealer seem like a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does buying a 997 from a Hyundai dealer seem like a bad idea?

I found this car down in Miami, which seems to fit all my requirements (and then some): http://www.doralhyundai.com/VehicleD...-FL/2634504223

It's a fully loaded '07 C4S one-owner car, but the fact that it's at a Hyundai dealer (and the fact that they say the rear main seal was recently replaced) raise a red flag in my mind. This dealer has a couple other high-dollar cars on the lot, and it is Miami, so maybe higher value cars show up on non-brand lots more often than they do in any of the places I've lived. But, typically, this is the sort of situation I would avoid.

I won't know for sure unless I do a PPI (which I've already looked into), but I'm curious if it even seems like that would be a waste of money, or am I being overly cautious here. I don't know what I don't know, but I do want to make sure I'm spending my PPI money judiciously as I continue my car search.

Perspective and any previous experience with buying from non-brand dealers or indy lots are welcome.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

I purchased my 2009 C2S with 26K miles from a Volvo dealer way out of state. No issues except they put the cheapest rear tires on they could find. I had Michelins on the front and Continental DWS on the rear.

Actually, this worked to my advantage as their web description was all wrong saying it was both automatic and manual for instance. I used the pictures to confirm options. Later they told me they get their listing information/descriptions from a service.

They were very accommodating and delivered/picked up the car from a Porsche speed shop who did a pre-purchase inspection. The car had a bad CarFax "hit a wild animal" and I think they were spooked by this. It was also end of January and they were selling the car in a snow storm. I paid what I thought was auction price of $53K 4 years ago. Unbelievably low. I had the Manheim auction reports so I was pretty confident I paid auction price.

They gave me options on shipping and coordinated everything. I wired the money in over the weekend and called them Monday AM to confirm... they said (you can't make this stuff up) they did not recieve the money and had "Betty calling the bank"....... I asked what to do now? They said "I told Bob you seemed on the up-and-up so we put the car on the truck anyway, it is on its way". Can you believe this!!! I still laugh.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not call the Collection in Miami where it was mainly serviced? Maybe they can offer some insight on the history. If they have good things to say then proceed with a PPI and deposit. If it checks out then you have to fly in and see for yourself. Also please note that you will not be able to certify the vehicle for a Porsche warranty. It would have to be purchased through a Porsche Dealer and late 08 or newer as well. RMS is not a red flag in my opinion. It's pretty common and a good thing it was done, hopefully not at the hyundai dealer! That would be the only red flag.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:39 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 - if it sounds like what you want then go with a deposit and PPI. Be sure the PPI will include a DME report and paint metering, otherwise find a different inspector.

Do you have the options list? I see full leather interior which is nice to find. PSE too, also nice. I don't think it has the X51 power kit though because the airbox is the standard version. The climate control ***** have common wear. You can replace the entire unit for about $500 or go aftermarket and refurb just the ***** for much less, they just won't be 100% identical to OEM. It's also hard to see if the brake calipers have any discoloring. They conveniently have the wheel spokes covering the white 'Porsche' logos. Refinishing calipers are around $175 ea installed, less if you DIY. If they are discolored then the car was likely tracked. A DME report would confirm.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:55 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought mine from a Mercedes dealer and think I got a better dealer because they didn't realize the car was almost maxed out on options. I would be comfortable doing it again with an inspection + deposit.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a nice example. I wouldn't worry about what dealership it's selling at. As long as the PPI comes back flawless I would go for it.

Porsche
2007 Porsche Carrera 4S Coupe
Division:
PCNA
Commission #:

Prod Month:
09/2006
VIN:
WP0AB29947S730763
Price:
$105,665.00
Exterior:
Dark Olive Metallic
Interior:
Black Full Leather
Warranty Start:
November 09, 2006
Additional Equipment
Self Dimming Mirrors
19" Carrera Classic Wheel
Leather Sport Steering Wheel
Parking Assist System
Module for Telephone PCM
Navigation for PCM
7G
Dark Olive Metallic
AT
Black Full Leather
M6A
Black Mats - Porsche lettering
P01
Adaptive Sport Seats
XLF
Sport Exhaust System
Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine from a boutique dealer 750 miles away. No regrets. Forget the fact that it is on a non-Porsche dealer's lot. Decide based on your own due diligence.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:39 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

any hi dollar car you buy no matter where you buy it from, has to be inspected (today) by an expert mechanic, usually the origional mfg. Doesnt matter if it was in for service last week, anything could have happened yesterday.
A higher mileage, older car like this could have been traded in at a porsche dealer, but they dont want to sell this kind of used car so they trade and wholesale them out to any other used car dealer that wants them. So that part of their history doesnt really mean anything. Its just not the kind of used car youll find at a porsche dealers lot.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
any hi dollar car you buy no matter where you buy it from, has to be inspected (today) by an expert mechanic, usually the origional mfg. Doesnt matter if it was in for service last week, anything could have happened yesterday.
Do you mean a potential buyer PPI? Your statement sounds like there is some law that requires dealers to have the car inspected by the org manufacturer.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM
jglaze
Racer

Thanks for all the feedback - it makes me feel incrementally better about pursuing the vehicle. Only a PPI will help me know for sure, but at least I won't feel bad having paid for the inspection even if it comes back with issues, which any car could have no matter who is selling it.

Assuming the PPI comes out ok, the next big decision is whether to have it shipped or set aside some time for a road trip with my son...
Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze
Thanks for all the feedback - it makes me feel incrementally better about pursuing the vehicle. Only a PPI will help me know for sure, but at least I won't feel bad having paid for the inspection even if it comes back with issues, which any car could have no matter who is selling it.

Assuming the PPI comes out ok, the next big decision is whether to have it shipped or set aside some time for a road trip with my son...
Road trip. I drove 400 miles back from picking up an R8 with my dad a few years ago. Great memories.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy traded in a mint, pristine, low-mileage, older M3 to a Hyundai dealer 20+ years ago, and the dealer washed it and sold it to some lucky bastard, because some basic Hyundai dealer didn't have the clout to ask what the hippest BMW dealer would have asked.

Whoever got it definitely got a 10% discount over what it would have gone for at a BMW dealer in an upscale area.

He went to law school and can wipe his *** with M3's now. He bought the cheapest Hyundai and pocketed the rest for school.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:30 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 153 Posts

Its a great list of options.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze

The memory of a road trip with your son would last a lifetime! I just picked up my GTS in Texas and drove it back to Florida. I spent more then the enclosed carrier would of cost by having a killer time! Have the PPI done at the collection where it came from. If you pull the trigger on it have the car stay there until you arrange pickup or transport.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott997
The memory of a road trip with your son would last a lifetime!
Well, for me anyway, my son is 3 and a half. But, better than leaving my wife at home with the toddler AND the infant while I fly off to southern Florida to buy a Porsche. Something tells me I'd have to come back with a very nice diamond necklace if that were the case...

Quick Reply: Does buying a 997 from a Hyundai dealer seem like a bad idea?